POLL! - Rutgers - Fan Mindset Thread

What's your mindset facing Rutgers this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
What is your mindset regarding superstitions, karma, etc., heading into the game vs Rutgers? Fan Feardom of looking to far ahead?

i've already made signs for our psu tailgate that say "paterno died, he lied and we're 8-0" #toosoon? and if too soon, which part?

Fears as a fan, but I don't worry about this team. They have been very locked in and I respect the job PJ is doing enough to feel like the team will be damn excited to go out and kick Rutgers ass

i've already made signs for our psu tailgate that say "paterno died, he lied and we're 8-0" #toosoon? and if too soon, which part?

First 2 are sad n true. Last 1 needs to happen ! U didn't use the Pedophile U so it's all good.

I don't think we can actually lose to them, but I worry about an ugly 2016-esque win. It feels like anything less than a 3 TD win will be a let down.

Im looking ahead to Maryland. They have a talented QB in Pigrome and generally have a lot of high end athletes. Purdue whooped them last week, hopefully we can do the same. Its a home game too so we are probably gonna make some some crabby patties at the tailgate.

Fears as a fan, but I don't worry about this team. They have been very locked in and I respect the job PJ is doing enough to feel like the team will be damn excited to go out and kick Rutgers ass

Agree, we are not seeing some of the typical collapses or melt downs we have seen over the history of Gopher Football.

That said, for the coaches this is when it starts to get difficult to keep that one game at a time mentality in place for the players. We are getting a lot of love in the media and people are starting to come around on us possibly being for real and not just lucky. Key for the staff will be keeping the players laser focused on each game and hungry to go out and prove how good we are each and every week.

These next two games should be wins as long as the team comes out and plays the way we are capable of. We aren't good enough to overlook teams but we are good enough that our best effort should be good enough against teams like Rutgers and Maryland to get the W.

I wanted to select the last option just because it’s hilarious and a common Minnesotan sports fan attitude.

With where the team is and what's ahead of it, losing to Maryland should immediately land the coach on Double Secret Probation.
Losing to Rutgers is a fireable offense.

This team is starting to remind me of the 97 Gopher basketball team.

I would worry about them losing and at a certain point my mind changed to "Hey, they are good. They'll win games they should win".

Getting there now with this team with how the running game has shown up and the defense has been solid. We look like the team who finished strong last year.

Voted "don't want to get ahead" option, but that's not quite the fit in my mind. I'm thinking and hoping the Gophers use a lot of backups which could keep the game closer than a blow out.

What is your mindset regarding superstitions, karma, etc., heading into the game vs Rutgers? Fan Feardom of looking to far ahead?

I fully believe you can anger the college football gods and we should be totally focused on Rutgers and nothing else. Don’t tempt Karma. For those who say fans can look ahead as long as the players do not, screw that. If all the players hear outside of teams meetings are folks taking to them about Penn State etc, that seeps in.

Just look at what happened in Athens this past weekend when a team wasn’t totally focused on the task at hand.

Would be a damn shame to lose to Rutgers. We’d never get ranked again! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fully believe you can anger the college football gods and we should be totally focused on Rutgers and nothing else. Don’t tempt Karma. For those who say fans can look ahead as long as the players do not, screw that. If all the players hear outside of teams meetings are folks taking to them about Penn State etc, that seeps in.

Just look at what happened in Athens this past weekend when a team wasn’t totally focused on the task at hand.

Would be a damn shame to lose to Rutgers. We’d never get ranked again! [emoji23]

Yes.

Always respect your opponent. All ways!

Rutgers is bad team on their third string QB, this is as close to loser proof as we can get

Don't ever want to get ahead until the clocks hit zero. Do I think the Gophers will win? Yeah. Do I still have that tinge of worry that comes with being a Minnesotan? Yup.

This should be the game where the game is so far in hand at halftime that the 2nd and 3rd strings...and even the known redshirts...get some playing time.

Heck, we should suit up GopherinPhilly and give him a few reps (since in the neighborhood :p).

Last edited:

We’ll should crush Rutgers

We are going to crush them. Sorry (not really).

Avoid injury, get the #2 QB some game time. Move on to a huge game vs Maryland.

Two weeks ago I was actually a little worried about this game.

Well, I shouldn't say worried but I was cautiously optimistic about the game due to how we looked against GSU and SDSU and it being a road Big Ten game.

Then I saw what Maryland and IU did to them and now I am simply optimistic.

I voted for the poll option closest to my opinion, even though it appears that it was written by a first grader.

Rutgers is bad team on their third string QB, this is as close to loser proof as we can get
There is no such thing as loser proof game if you don't respect opponent and lose focus on task at hand. I'm sure Rutgers is a bit tired of hearing how bad they are. They are going to look across and say this team is only Minnesota, we can beat this team, and Gophers will get their best shot. Spreads, lots of negative media you can bet the Rutgers, players are tired of hearing it and are going to give Minnesota it's best game. I know the coaches and players don't talk about It but to much 8 and 0 talk around here without doing it. There has been talk of playing 2s and back up QB even. That kind of mentality will get you beat. We need to beat this team yes, but talking smack, and getting over confident will not get it done. They have been a pain to play each time the Gophers have played Rutgers. This will not be a walk over game that is simply that easy. That point spread is a ridiculous number especially if it is good weather. This team has better talent than South Dakota State.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

There is no such thing as loser proof game if you don't respect opponent and lose focus on task at hand. I'm sure Rutgers is a bit tired of hearing how bad they are. They are going to look across and say this team is only Minnesota, we can beat this team, and Gophers will get their best shot. Spreads, lots of negative media you can bet the Rutgers, players are tired of hearing it and are going to give Minnesota it's best game. I know the coaches and players don't talk about It but to much 8 and 0 talk around here without doing it. There has been talk of playing 2s and back up QB even. That kind of mentality will get you beat. We need to beat this team yes, but talking smack, and getting over confident will not get it done. They have been a pain to play each time the Gophers have played Rutgers. This will not be a walk over game that is simply that easy. That point spread is a ridiculous number especially if it is good weather. This team has better talent than South Dakota State.

Zero point zero success rate. Not sure I’ve ever seen that.

Posters on GopherHole can have whatever mentality we want and it doesn't make a bit of difference to the outcome of any game. None of us are on the team and none of us play any snaps.

I voted for the poll option closest to my opinion, even though it appears that it was written by a first grader.

Wanted to make sure even WI and Iowa lurkers could understand it.

165-7. That's Rutger's scoring this year in the Big Ten. Need any more be said?

This team is doing fantastic things. I was about 60% sure the Gophs would beat Nebraska. I'm about 95% sure they will beat Runtgers. But I think I need therapy because for the life of me, I cannot let go of the past and the failures in similar situations. I know this team is different with a completely different mindset, but I need my brain to change it's best. Hence the 5% missing from the Rutgers prediction.

Rutgers doesn't worry me at all. Chalk it up.

Maryland did worry me early in the year due to some game breakers; I would've considered it a pick 'em game. I don't know if their game breakers have been injured or what (haven't watched nor looked), but they certainly haven't been producing. Now I would say we're favorites and I'm "afraid we might choke b/c this is Minnesota" as my attitude toward the Terps.

Posters on GopherHole can have whatever mentality we want and it doesn't make a bit of difference to the outcome of any game. None of us are on the team and none of us play any snaps.

True! It's Fleck's job to make sure the team is focused and ready to play vs. Rutgers. When I coached, I never wanted the team thinking, "This one's in the bag." Too many stupid things can happen and the main task is to win and come out of it 7-0. We should respect our opponent and the other team's fans and realize that hard work beats talent when talent's not working hard. The Gophers have been playing better and better each week but they are due for a letdown, especially against a team like Rutgers. Plus it's an away game which are always tough. For the Gophers, playing Rutgers on the road and using up one of your road games out there is a gift.

I think we beat Rutgers on talent alone but you never want to leave that door open and give them a chance because then you get their best effort, you get their fans into it and it turns into their Super Bowl. Hit them hard early with your best effort, then you can make your adjustments and hopefully coast late in the game. I think Maryland is the one to watch out for as they have beaten us a couple times and you don't want that team looking ahead to Penn St.

The best thing to do is just what PJ Fleck is doing. Focus on each team that you are playing and take it one game at a time.

Rutgers doesn't worry me at all. Chalk it up.

Maryland did worry me early in the year due to some game breakers; I would've considered it a pick 'em game. I don't know if their game breakers have been injured or what (haven't watched nor looked), but they certainly haven't been producing. Now I would say we're favorites and I'm "afraid we might choke b/c this is Minnesota" as my attitude toward the Terps.

The fact that Maryland managed just 14 points against a terrible Purdue defense gives me some confidence for that game. Our defense should be able to limit them to just a few scores unless they really over perform what they did the last few weeks.

Over there last 3 non-Rutgers games, Maryland has totaled just 24 points.

Top Bottom