Possible 7-0 / 8-0 topic

One of the things we have going for us is PJ has been through a long winning streak before - he got WMU into a major bowl and nearly a undefeated season. Will this team embrace the opportunity to do something that hasn’t been done in gopher football in 60 years? I think they are close. Will this team get that feeling they can play with anybody and win? They have shown that will so far.

I'd like to see the undefeated Gophers host undefeated becky on Nov 20th.
That would truly be epic!!!

We are definitely getting into some uncharted territory. The schedule has laid out well for us, but winning 8 straight games and 9 of our last 10 is impressive no matter who it comes against.

When you start seeing the last time we have done x or y was 40, 50, 60+ years ago it should not be taken lightly.

After reading the comments from the critics in the Tribune you would think that PJ made this schedule last summer. But then that what Minnesotans are famous for.

After reading the comments from the critics in the Tribune you would think that PJ made this schedule last summer. But then that what Minnesotans are famous for.

The criticism of schedules is the first sign of ignorance.

1. Made well before current coach arrived
2. Actually not horrible compared to some schedules
3. Has the weird road game at Fresno which is a weird game to schedule no matter what your goal of a team.
4. 7 games are locked in every year with West and MD.
5. The other two rotate. Rutgers (horrible) PSU (possibly the toughest)
6. The SDSU game being a contradiction among those same people who wish MN would play NDSU as well. Either you want us playing FCS or you don't.
7. Georgia Southern - yeh...

I get the skeptics. One should really be looking at Big Ten game records when doing long-time historical comparisons. The Gophs are 3-0 in conference play now. They last did that in 2014 but then laid an egg against a far inferior Illinois team on the road to end that. That loss to Illinois should be a lesson to this year's team versus Rutgers on the road. Had that 2014 stayed focused, they could have been 5-0 (conference) against Ohio State at home in that epic snowbowl game.

The Gophs started the season 3-0 in conference play 2014, 1986, 1985, and 1976.

The Gophs last started the season 4-0 in conference play in 1967 - the last Big Ten Championship (3-way tie).

The Gophs last started the season 5-0 in conference play in 1961 - and went 6-0 before losing to WI. Went 6-0 in 1960 before losing to Purdue.

That's as far back as I'm going.

Top Bottom