Possible 7-0 / 8-0 topic

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
If we make it to 7-0 it will be the first time since 1960 we started a season 7-0.
If we make it to 8-0, it will be the first time since 1941. That team finished 8-0.

Both years were national title years for the Gophers.

We are definitely getting into some uncharted territory. The schedule has laid out well for us, but winning 8 straight games and 9 of our last 10 is impressive no matter who it comes against.

When you start seeing the last time we have done x or y was 40, 50, 60+ years ago it should not be taken lightly.

If we make it to 7-0 it will be the first time since 1960 we started a season 7-0.
If we make it to 8-0, it will be the first time since 1941. That team finished 8-0.

Both years were national title years for the Gophers.

Fun ride so far. The old saying "comparison kills joy" is appropriate here, but I'll do it anyway:

7-0 in the Big Ten (1941) and 6-1 Big Ten (1961) are probably a better comparison. Interesting that in neither of those years did the Gophs play Ohio State (nor in 1967 the last championship).

It's been my contention that a Big Ten West divisional title (9 conference games) is more similar to the pre-expansion Big Ten title (7 conference games - no championship game) than the current conference title.

We are definitely getting into some uncharted territory. The schedule has laid out well for us, but winning 8 straight games and 9 of our last 10 is impressive no matter who it comes against.

When you start seeing the last time we have done x or y was 40, 50, 60+ years ago it should not be taken lightly.

An 8-0 start would be 10 straight wins, I believe; and 11-1 in the last 12.

DAMN IT YOU PEOPLE LOOKING TOO FAR AHEAD!

I am a superstitious man...and so if some unlucky accident should befall my team, if some police officer arrests a player and it becomes an off field distraction, or if some player is critically injured, or if somehow we lose to Rutgers or Maryland, then I will blame some of the people here. That, I could never forgive....

Lots to work on. Need to focus on kicking Rutgers butt. B1G!

The football gods have been very good to us so far this season. I keep preparing for the worst. But could you imagine beating PSU at home and the momentum we would gain? OOF DA!!!

If we win our next three, the next two shouldn't be horrible.

We are on a collision course with WI for the Axe at home for Big Ten West title, match against OSU, and possible CFP birth.

We have 5-6 weeks to prepare.

If we win our next three, the next two shouldn't be horrible.

We are on a collision course with WI for the Axe at home for Big Ten West title, match against OSU, and possible CFP birth.

We have 5-6 weeks to prepare.

We could have a B1G West title game against Wisconsin by winning the next two and NW, and stealing either Iowa or PSU (assuming Wiscy loses to OSU). Sadly, that would take us out of the playoff hunt, but I'm okay with a Rose Bowl :)

I am a superstitious man...and so if some unlucky accident should befall my team, if some police officer arrests a player and it becomes an off field distraction, or if some player is critically injured, or if somehow we lose to Rutgers or Maryland, then I will blame some of the people here. That, I could never forgive....

Don't think of us as looking ahead to 8-0. Think of us a looking ahead to 1-0 in our Rutgers championship and 1-0 in our Maryland championship, so that we can have some momentum on focusing on getting to 1-0 in our Penn State championship.

We could have a B1G West title game against Wisconsin by winning the next two and NW, and stealing either Iowa or PSU (assuming Wiscy loses to OSU). Sadly, that would take us out of the playoff hunt, but I'm okay with a Rose Bowl :)

Someone else posted this last week, and it's exciting to think about.

Assume the following:
1. OSU beats wisconsin
2. wisconsin otherwise has 0 or 1 loss
3. We are 8-0 entering the PSU game (i.e., we beat Rutgers and Maryland)

As you stated, if all 3 of those conditions come to pass, we only have to win 1 of 3 among PSU, Iowa, and Northwestern in order to be playing for the Big Ten West championship against Becky on November 30.

Assume the following:
1. OSU beats wisconsin

As you stated, if all 3 of those conditions come to pass, we only have to win 1 of 3 among PSU, Iowa, and Northwestern in order to be playing for the Big Ten West championship against Becky on November 30.

Correct me if I am wrong (and I think this is unlikely), but doesn't Iowa need to lose one more game as well for the above to be true? If Iowa runs the table, and it is a 3-way tie between Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin at 7-2, Iowa would hold the tiebreaker in that scenario.

Assume the following:
1. OSU beats wisconsin

That is exciting. It is amazing how important the head to head game against Wisconsin is. If they are 7-1 losing only to OSU, we could be anywhere from 6-2 to 8-0, and it would still be a de facto division championship game.

Correct me if I am wrong (and I think this is unlikely), but doesn't Iowa need to lose one more game as well for the above to be true? If Iowa runs the table, and it is a 3-way tie between Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin at 7-2, Iowa would hold the tiebreaker in that scenario.

I think people are assuming WI beats Iowa. If Iowa beats Wisconsin and us, we could be all be 6-2 going into the last week and Iowa would only need to beat Nebraska to clinch.

Damn, you people are making me nervous. Repeat after me. "One game at a time. One game at a time. One game at a time. ..." Sorry, but I can't help myself.

Talon...?

Damn, you people are making me nervous. Repeat after me. "One game at a time. One game at a time. One game at a time. ..." Sorry, but I can't help myself.

Fans are able to look forward as much or as little as we want. Doing so has zero impact on the outcome of any games.

I think people are assuming WI beats Iowa. If Iowa beats Wisconsin and us, we could be all be 6-2 going into the last week and Iowa would only need to beat Nebraska to clinch.

Ya, we need Iowa to lose a 3rd game or they could sneak their way into the title game.

Someone tell me about a scenario where we don't even have to beat Wisconsin because we've already clinched.

Someone tell me about a scenario where we don't even have to beat Wisconsin because we've already clinched.

We win all other games. WI loses to both IA and OSU.

Iowa @ Wisconsin: Iowa wins.
Wisconsin @ Ohio St: Ohio St wins.
Gophers beat Rutgers, MD, PSU, Iowa, and NW.

If that happens, the Gophers ticket to the B1G Championship Game is already punched. If Wisconsin (or Iowa to a lesser extent) drops an unexpected one then things become much easier.

Iowa @ Wisconsin: Iowa wins.
Wisconsin @ Ohio St: Ohio St wins.
Gophers beat Rutgers, MD, PSU, Iowa, and NW.

If that happens, the Gophers ticket to the B1G Championship Game is already punched. If Wisconsin (or Iowa to a lesser extent) drops an unexpected one then things become much easier.

Or the meteor finally wins the Wisconsin/Iowa game. :cool:

Don’t think you get the sarcasm related to prior assertions by Coyle and Co that we ended last year winning 4 of 5. Thank you for your service btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fans are able to look forward as much or as little as we want. Doing so has zero impact on the outcome of any games.

Logical people notice this dpo- it’s funny to watch the consternation they profess though so enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The meteor is undefeated!
zYQkFZ92a8kDJCTU9
9c8962243dc6e34e81384148cfbb9a14b14a08cec665a5ee77e3d697eaa38206.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom