Andy Buh, Rutgers DC, on Gophers

Here's the best bits from the ASAP transcript of the Campanile (interim head coach) interview (link has full transcript):

RUTGERS UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL MEDIA CONFERENCE October 14, 2019 Nunzio Campanile Piscataway, New Jersey

We completed five passes for one yard. That has got to be almost impossible.

Q. You've got a guy on the roster who threw for 300 yards a couple weeks ago. Any talk to Art to reconsider? Anything changed with him?
NUNZIO CAMPANILE: As I've said a few times, it's a brave new world. I'm still coaching him and I think he's working hard to get better and maybe there's a point where he feels comfortable enough in what we're doing he wants to play. I haven't had any indication that he doesn't want to be at Rutgers anymore. You know, we'll handle that as we go but I've been happy with his work ethic and the way he's gone out to practice.

Q. What was the response from the team about the Art and Rahim situation.
NUNZIO CAMPANILE: There's no way I'll discuss that.

Q. Raheem was billed as your best player on the roster. Does he want to come back? We haven't talked to him. That's the only I'm going to press you -- the NFL, because he's a junior? What's his motivation?
NUNZIO CAMPANILE: I don't know if that's been decided yet to be honest. Maybe he's trying to wait to see what the situation becomes here in six or seven weeks.But I've not gotten any indication that he intends to transfer, either, from what he said.

I told the quarterbacks the other day, when Peyton Manning was a rookie, he set the NFL interception record. Freshmen should not be playing in the Big Ten on developmental teams. I don't care what anybody says. I don't care if it's Art Sitkowski, Johnny Langan or Cole, doesn't matter. And so to keep changing is not really the answer. The answer is to keep developing. Now, Cole is doing a great job in practice but he's basically been a scout team player for the last nine weeks. So to ask him to go out and play in a game, and honestly, Johnny has pretty much been in that same role up until two weeks ago.

Some of the things -- we did not really run a lot of plays the other day in the game and because of that, we left a lot of plays on the play sheet. Hopefully getting an extra week of practice, get them called in the game and create some plays out of it. We never really got started. We talked halftime week about staying on schedule and we were way off schedule the whole day. The third-down situations were -- I mean, couldn't be worse on third down than we were.

Q. Your impressions of Minnesota, unbeaten team, a lot of Rutgers guys. What kind of Minnesota program do you expect to come on Saturday?
NUNZIO CAMPANILE: One, I'm super impressed with the job they have done. You talk about building a program, they have really done a great job of developing their team, even over the course of the year. You see them getting better. They play very hard, they are very disciplined and very well-coached and do a lot of things well in all three phases of the game. Obviously I know a lot of the guys that coach there. There are a lot of great guys there.

I think that they will continue to be those things. They seem to get a little bit better every week, and they are a really solid football team. They are impressive.

Q. So you know P.J.? You probably dealt with him back in the day? How well do you know him? Your impressions of him?
NUNZIO CAMPANILE: I think he's been really impressive. I first came to practice and watched him. I was like, wow, this guy, he's a thousand miles an hour. Can't be real. I guess as I got to know him, seems to be exactly who he is.

He's exactly -- he seems to bring that energy every day. I haven't been around him a lot in the last five or six years but when he was here, I was super-impressed every time I came to practice that he was able to be that energetic, that positive and that competitive at all times, and obviously in the two programs he's had the opportunity to coach, he's done a great job of instilling that culture, and he clearly, that is what they are building their team on.

But you see it on the field. You see it in how they play. So I think that it's been pretty impressive what he's done at both schools.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=154597

I guess I assumed Rutgers didn’t have a DC?
Next I’ll find out they have an OC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, since Kill walked away from Rutgers things have just gone all to hell.

Last edited:

Top Bottom