Jamal Mashburn Jr. commits to the Gophers!

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Miami, Fla. guard Jamal Mashburn Jr. He chose Minnesota over offers from California, Wake Forest, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State, Illinois and others.

He most recently announced his two final schools were California and Minnesota. Mashburn is a four-star prospect and ranks No. 88 nationally, according to 24/7 Sports. He is the fourth-highest rated recruit Richard Pitino has landed at Minnesota.

During the summer Peach Jam circuit, Mashburn Jr. averaged 20.8 points per game and shot 43 percent from the floor. His shooting and ability to create shots off the dribble, will help the Gophers continue developing their backcourt.

Mashburn Jr. is the son of Jamal Mashburn Sr., a former 11-year NBA player for the Mavericks, Heat and Hornets. He starred at Kentucky and played under Richard Pitino’s father, Rick, from 1990-93.

Photo credit in tweet and post: Kelly Kline- Under Armour

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FAv0frft3f4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Great news! I absolutely loved his old man and that Kentucky team in the early 90s, so I'm pulling hard for this kid to be a good one!

per Evan Daniels:

Four-star guard Jamal Mashburn Jr., the son of former 12-year NBA player Jamal Mashburn, verbally committed to Minnesota on Monday, he tells 247Sports.

“It’s a great opportunity there for me to flourish and for me to win which is a big part of my character and who I am,” Mashburn Jr. said.

“I want to get the NCAA Tournament, the big dance, just to be on that stage and be able to win a National Championship while going there and doing what I’m capable of doing, which is shoot the ball at a high level, score, lead and guard, really sit down and guard,” he added. “Really, that’s the reason why I’ll be going to the University of Minnesota.”

“I had a gut feeling that I was supposed to be there, that’s where I wanted to play at and that’s where I wanted to be,” Mashburn Jr. said. “I built a great relationship with Richard [Pitino] and a great relationship with the coaching staff and I fit with what they’re trying to do and I fit in to what I’m trying to do which is trying to be a professional basketball player.”

https://247sports.com/college/baske...mal-Mashburn-Commit-Richard-Pitino-136959734/

Go Gophers!!

This is great news! Always a little nervous until they actually commit, great continuance of a great weekend for gopher sports!

This is a really strong commit! I think he is going to be able to fill it up Nate Mason style!

per Evan Daniels:

Four-star guard Jamal Mashburn Jr., the son of former 12-year NBA player Jamal Mashburn, verbally committed to Minnesota on Monday, he tells 247Sports.

“It’s a great opportunity there for me to flourish and for me to win which is a big part of my character and who I am,” Mashburn Jr. said.

“I want to get the NCAA Tournament, the big dance, just to be on that stage and be able to win a National Championship while going there and doing what I’m capable of doing, which is shoot the ball at a high level, score, lead and guard, really sit down and guard,” he added. “Really, that’s the reason why I’ll be going to the University of Minnesota.”

“I had a gut feeling that I was supposed to be there, that’s where I wanted to play at and that’s where I wanted to be,” Mashburn Jr. said. “I built a great relationship with Richard [Pitino] and a great relationship with the coaching staff and I fit with what they’re trying to do and I fit in to what I’m trying to do which is trying to be a professional basketball player.”

https://247sports.com/college/baske...mal-Mashburn-Commit-Richard-Pitino-136959734/

Go Gophers!!

Dear Dawson,

Please help Jamal fulfill his dream of winning a National Championship.

Yours Truly,
The State of Minnesota

Question for the recruiting wonks

Does this mean Kerwin Walton likely is off the table?

Does this mean Kerwin Walton likely is off the table?

I don't qualify for recruiting wonk status, but I think we have to have a PF first and I can't see getting Walton unless a 4th scholly opens.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I don't qualify for recruiting wonk status, but I think we have to have a PF first and I can't see getting Walton unless a 4th scholly opens.

Mitchell is a post player. I think if Walton wanted to commit here today, they’d take him, but he might still be a ways off from committing.

On topic, it felt like this commitment was in the cards for a little while now, but feels good to make it a done deal!

Awesome stuff! Welcome Jamal!

Mitchell is a post player. I think if Walton wanted to commit here today, they’d take him, but he might still be a ways off from committing.

On topic, it felt like this commitment was in the cards for a little while now, but feels good to make it a done deal!

Mitchell was recruited as a 3/4. He is talented but weighs in at about 190. If he ends up as a post or a 4 he is two years away. We need a PF for next year. I would LOVE to have Walton, but Garcia is first IMO and as long as they think they can get him, the last available scholly is his- 100%.

I just a have a feeling that we finally landed the next Bobby Jackson!! :)

Kendal Shell chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Garcia has to see the talent we’ve assembled and he has a spot open for him to slide into the starting lineup. He would be the piece that puts this team into the national conversation and a deep run in the tourney. Adding mashburn and his high level shooting to this team will make a team with the best outside threats that I have ever seen play for the gophers.(if it all pans out)

Last edited:

This is a really strong commit! I think he is going to be able to fill it up Nate Mason style!

Mason was great, but I think this guy has the potential to be better. Just look at how physical he is. His dad played that way as well. This is a big name, big time recruit!

Go Gophers!!

Exciting news!! And...my BB tickets just arrived at the door! I'll take it as a sign of good things to come

Mason was great, but I think this guy has the potential to be better. Just look at how physical he is. His dad played that way as well. This is a big name, big time recruit!

Go Gophers!!

I hope you're right. Mason was one of the best we've had in the last few decades here, so if you are right, things are looking gooood!

I just a have a feeling that we finally landed the next Bobby Jackson!! :)

No, but this provides the bait to land the next Bobby Jackson. When Larry Davis was recruiting Jackson, he told him, if you sign with us we'll go to the Final Four. Now we can tell one of the big fish this with a straight face.

Mitchell was recruited as a 3/4. He is talented but weighs in at about 190. If he ends up as a post or a 4 he is two years away. We need a PF for next year. I would LOVE to have Walton, but Garcia is first IMO and as long as they think they can get him, the last available scholly is his- 100%.

We may have told him that but I'd be surprised if Pitino wasn't planning on him being a 4-5.

Kind of like in football when you tell an athlete you'll give them a shot at QB so they commit but you know they'll end up at WR after spring practice.

Go Gophers!!

The highlight posted shows no more physicality than Nate Mason had. They appear to play a very similar style to how Mason played his Junior/Senior years. Maybe Mash has a higher ceiling, but a combo shooting scoring guard is exactly what Nate Mason was, and Nate Mason was a goddamn stud for us his last two years.

We may have told him that but I'd be surprised if Pitino wasn't planning on him being a 4-5.

Kind of like in football when you tell an athlete you'll give them a shot at QB so they commit but you know they'll end up at WR after spring practice.

That may be the case- but we still have to deal with the PF position next year.

I kind of doubt it. He is a guard with the height of a center. I think Pitino will use him as a wing to create matchup nightmares for our opponents. We can find athletic big banger body types to play center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitchell was recruited as a stretch 4 and Ryan James said he is more of a 4/5 than a 3/4.

I kind of doubt it. He is a guard with the height of a center. I think Pitino will use him as a wing to create matchup nightmares for our opponents. We can find athletic big banger body types to play center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you consider Anthony Davis and Jon Leuer guards with the height of a center? Just because they played guard before they had enormous growth spurts doesn't mean they still are one. He is an athletic stretch 4 who can fill in at the 5 if needed, especially when he gets stronger.

so is the sky still falling from a recruiting standpoint?

Top Bottom