Jamal Mashburn Jr. commits to the Gophers!

so is the sky still falling from a recruiting standpoint?

No, but it just started falling for 2021! Why hasn't Richard been able to get commitments from Chet or Kendall Brown yet?!?! :p

No, but it just started falling for 2021! Why hasn't Richard been able to get commitments from Chet or Kendall Brown yet?!?! :p
Currently, we have Willis and Curry scholarships to work with? And Curry's is subject to change in some manner.

Mason was great, but I think this guy has the potential to be better. Just look at how physical he is. His dad played that way as well. This is a big name, big time recruit!

Go Gophers!!

If Mashburn is half the player Mason was, we should consider ourselves lucky.

so is the sky still falling from a recruiting standpoint?

For those people who prematurely declared both the 2019 and 2020 classes disasters, they will likely start panicking about 2021 now. They're lost causes who only know how to be negative.

For those people who prematurely declared both the 2019 and 2020 classes disasters, they will likely start panicking about 2021 now. They're lost causes who only know how to be negative.

I'm expecting abrams to show up pointing out that these aren't the #1 and #2 rated players in the class calling it an extreme disappointment.

I'm expecting abrams to show up pointing out that these aren't the #1 and #2 rated players in the class calling it an extreme disappointment.

Lol yup. He's the main one I had in mind when I said that. I'll be shocked if he doesn't start complaining about 2021 before most teams have any commitments.

I kind of doubt it. He is a guard with the height of a center. I think Pitino will use him as a wing to create matchup nightmares for our opponents. We can find athletic big banger body types to play center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the videos I saw, Mitchell is not a guard. He wants to become one and he can but he is not one yet. To be effective on the perimeter he needs to accelerate everything...quickness, handles, shot release, foot speed, etc. Right now he can dunk and block shots with the potential to become a really good stretch 4. Happy he is a Gopher but agree with bga

If Mashburn is half the player Mason was, we should consider ourselves lucky.

Mason had some awesome games! I may never forget his Purdue game. Absolutely no doubt. But like Coffey, there were too many times Mason disappeared. Half the player would be less than McBrayer. That wouldn’t please me as a barometer for Mashburn.
I’m hopeful Mashburn has a growth spurt or just continues to develop and confident he can over shadow Mason.
Yes, Mason was excellent but what suggests Mashburn can’t achieve a similar or higher level?

This is totally exciting and look forward to more top level talent to commit real soon. Go Gophers!

We didn't start signing players until after I started panicking. You are welcome Gopher Nation!

We're almost there...you just need to panic a little more over the last commitment,and then you can get to work on the next class��

Mason had some awesome games! I may never forget his Purdue game. Absolutely no doubt. But like Coffey, there were too many times Mason disappeared. Half the player would be less than McBrayer. That wouldn’t please me as a barometer for Mashburn.
I’m hopeful Mashburn has a growth spurt or just continues to develop and confident he can over shadow Mason.
Yes, Mason was excellent but what suggests Mashburn can’t achieve a similar or higher level?

Lest we not forget, Mason was 1st Team All Big-Ten. Those haven't been falling off trees around here the past couple decades.

Also, he played his senior year habitually injured with that hip and was - admittedly - not close to his best self.

What a great get. Excited to see Jamal Jr. in maroon and gold. And Mitchell looks like he has a ton of potential. Go Gophers! Oh, and come on Garcia!

Lest we not forget, Mason was 1st Team All Big-Ten. Those haven't been falling off trees around here the past couple decades.

Also, he played his senior year habitually injured with that hip and was - admittedly - not close to his best self.

I’m sure somewhere Mason was if you say so but in the BTN coaches and media awards he is honorable mention following the 3rd team.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/btn.com/2018/02/26/view-the-2017-18-all-big-ten-mens-basketball-team/amp/

I’m sure somewhere Mason was if you say so but in the BTN coaches and media awards he is honorable mention following the 3rd team.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/btn.com/2018/02/26/view-the-2017-18-all-big-ten-mens-basketball-team/amp/

Here you go:

Here is the all-conference team as selected by Big Ten coaches (unanimous selections IN ALL CAPS).

FIRST TEAM

Peter Jok, Iowa
MELO TRIMBLE, Maryland
Nate Mason, Minnesota
CALEB SWANIGAN, Purdue
Ethan Happ, Wisconsin

Source: https://btn.com/2017/03/06/check-out-the-2016-17-big-ten-mens-all-conference-teams/

Today was a good day! Has the feel of a kid who would be a blue blood player if he was just a few inches taller, we will take it! Always like having former players kids on the roster, you know the kid grew up in the game and around a ton of people who lived it!

Now, Mr. Garcia, please make this a stellar class!

Were his Ohio State and Florida offers commitable by the end?

The highlight posted shows no more physicality than Nate Mason had. They appear to play a very similar style to how Mason played his Junior/Senior years. Maybe Mash has a higher ceiling, but a combo shooting scoring guard is exactly what Nate Mason was, and Nate Mason was a goddamn stud for us his last two years.

Yes, Mason was damn good I agree. One of, if not the best player Pitino has had so far.

This kid just looks put together. Strong. Much more athletic than Mason was. He is also rated quite a bit higher. That doesn't mean he will be as good or better than him, I was just commenting that he seems to have a higher ceiling/potential than Mason did when he came in here.

Oy...that list didn't say much for the NBA potential of some of the Big Ten's better players that year.

Nope, kind of ugly. Would have loved to see what Mason could have done his senior year and beyond had he been able to stay healthy.

Yes, Mason was damn good I agree. One of, if not the best player Pitino has had so far.

This kid just looks put together. Strong. Much more athletic than Mason was. He is also rated quite a bit higher. That doesn't mean he will be as good or better than him, I was just commenting that he seems to have a higher ceiling/potential than Mason did when he came in here.

Mason was a crafty scorer coming in but not viewed as a deadly shooter from range. He was a kid who really improved his shot over time and just got better and better. Maybe the better comparison to Mashburn might be Andre Hollins who had a great stroke but also had a lot of ways to score until he also ran into injury issues? Not sure. Either way, I am so excited to see him as a Gopher!

Mashburn is a different type of player in general than Mason. He will not require to be as ball dominant and most likely will be a plus defender. He also will have the ability to play off the ball if he's paired with a bigger guard at the point (Willis for example or a Kendall Brown for future)

Mashburn is a different type of player in general than Mason. He will not require to be as ball dominant and most likely will be a plus defender. He also will have the ability to play off the ball if he's paired with a bigger guard at the point (Willis for example or a Kendall Brown for future)

Literally the descriptions we heard when Mason was recruited and used every time we recruited another PG. "Mason will flourish off the ball" etc.

1st thing, being comparted to Mason is a good thing. People shouldn't be falling over themselves to make sure we prop up Mash to say he's better than Mason.

Mash has a bigger recruiting profile than Mason coming in. It's entirely possible that he's better than Mason in the end. Also a good thing.

If he's not better than Mason in the end, it's not a bad thing, because Mason was by most metrics, the best guard to play for us in the last 10 years.

Top Bottom