Jamal Mashburn Jr. commits to the Gophers!

Literally the descriptions we heard when Mason was recruited and used every time we recruited another PG. "Mason will flourish off the ball" etc.

1st thing, being comparted to Mason is a good thing. People shouldn't be falling over themselves to make sure we prop up Mash to say he's better than Mason.

Mash has a bigger recruiting profile than Mason coming in. It's entirely possible that he's better than Mason in the end. Also a good thing.

If he's not better than Mason in the end, it's not a bad thing, because Mason was by most metrics, the best guard to play for us in the last 10 years.

1. I wasn't saying Mason was a bad player, just saying I don't think the comparison was valid. Correct on the recruiting profile, but that doesn't change the fact that Mash's shooting and defense will most likely be better or the fact that he will be better of the ball. A fair argument could be made that Mason didn't get much of an opportunity to prove this as he was always given the ball or required to due to lack of lead guard depth.

2. Mason being our best guard to play for us in the last 10 years is more a testament to how poor our guard play was. Mason was a nice player and was a good piece. The problem was he had to be the centerpiece and he just wasn't that good vs. like a Carson Edwards. I by no means am saying Mash will be better than Edwards or even Mason. Just saying they are different players from what I've witnessed in my opinion.

Here you go:

Here is the all-conference team as selected by Big Ten coaches (unanimous selections IN ALL CAPS).

FIRST TEAM

Peter Jok, Iowa
MELO TRIMBLE, Maryland
Nate Mason, Minnesota
CALEB SWANIGAN, Purdue
Ethan Happ, Wisconsin

Source: https://btn.com/2017/03/06/check-out-the-2016-17-big-ten-mens-all-conference-teams/

You are right, but to be fair, that was a really ugly year for college basketball's top players, translating to NBA success. So as not to sidetrack this thread, I'm going to start another thread featuring the less than elite (from a perspective of the NBA) talent of that year.

With the athleticism Mashburn has, would Dre Hollins (pre injury) be a better comparison?

Mason was a nice player and was a good piece. The problem was he had to be the centerpiece and he just wasn't that good vs. like a Carson Edwards.

Collin Sexton would disagree.
3e95dd5048299810020557be1fcfa42d.jpg

Collin Sexton would disagree.
3e95dd5048299810020557be1fcfa42d.jpg

One of my favorite Gopher highlights of all time. Mason dropped off a rookie lottery pick in a prime time game - kid had some swagger. Damn shame that we had so many injuries / Lynch suspension that year because we had a hell of a squad (think we were ranked pre season at #14 in the country).

I think Mashburn will likely be a better defender than Mason was and hopefully similar in shooting % from the tre. Potential is certainly there.

One of my favorite Gopher highlights of all time. Mason dropped off a rookie lottery pick in a prime time game - kid had some swagger. Damn shame that we had so many injuries / Lynch suspension that year because we had a hell of a squad (think we were ranked pre season at #14 in the country).

I think Mashburn will likely be a better defender than Mason was and hopefully similar in shooting % from the tre. Potential is certainly there.

Mason was a solid 3 point shooter 36%, where he struggled a bit was overall shooting percentage - career 39% shooting. I hope Mashburn has Nate's court savvy and is able to improve on the shooting a bit. If we are talking about a Nate Mason comparison- that ain't bad!

That was so awesome. Later in the game....almost losing to four players was not awesome.

That was an old school playground look. The "oh yeah, take this" kind of look. I remember replaying that sequence dozens of times.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

There isn’t a coach Jamal Mashburn Jr. would rather play for in college than Richard Pitino. That’s why the four-star Brewster Academy (N.H.) guard was excited to hear last week Pitino would be returning with the Gophers next season.

Mashburn and Pitino have a family history with their fathers teaming up as star player and coach at the University of Kentucky in the early 1990s.

The younger Mashburn, who earned first team All-New England Prep School Class AAA honors this year, is joined in the Gophers' 2020 recruiting class by four-star Chicago Heights Bloom forward Martice Mitchell.

In a Q&A with the Star Tribune recently, Mashburn shared his thoughts on this season for Pitino and the Gophers, his senior year being cut short by the virus crisis, his potential role as a freshman and more.

Q: How were you affected by the Coronavirus cancellations in the world of sports last week?

A: We were actually at the National Prep Showcase [in Connecticut]. We were in the championship game, but we had to call it quits. We were able to play two games before it was cancelled. We were named co-champions with Putnam Science Academy (Conn.). It was really good to play with the guys. We came together in the end. I’m sad we couldn’t [play for the national title], because I know we could have won. Just those last two games being wins, I’m glad it ended on a positive note. Now, it’s time to take the next step.

Q: What was your senior season experience like with Brewster Academy?

A: As far as the overall season, I felt like individually I did well. We obviously have a lot of guys who can do a lot of things on the floor. That’s what Brewster is. We bring a lot of talented guys together. We try to get better competing against each other in practice. Just to get better is the main goal. Try to get better for the next level. Overall, it was a very good year. A very successful year.

Q: What did you work on improving in your game the most this season?

A: This year, I think my defense has taken a big leap. Being able to make certain reads and on and off the ball defense. Just reading the game, I’ve gotten a lot better. The game has slowed down for me, especially being a lead guard. That’s something that I improved on.

Q: From watching your games, it seems you were attacking the basket more this year. Was that your intent?

A: Yeah. One of the things I wanted coming into this year was work on finishing better around the basket. Just playmaking. Those are things I can do, but people were kind of questioning. I just wanted to try to add more pieces to my game and bring it all together.

Q: The Gophers had some big wins, but they also struggled in close games at the end this season. What are your thoughts on Pitino’s team?

A: I see a team with talent [and youth]. I’ve been around the guys for some time. I see that there’s potential. There are things that can be done [to get better]. I’m going to come in and work my butt off, as I always do. I’m ready to get going. I see a coach who lets his players play with freedom. I’m just excited to get there. Really excited.

Q: Sophomore point guard Marcus Carr had an All-Big Ten season. How do you think you’ll play with him as a freshman?

A: I’ve played with other great guards. I think we’ll mix well together. It will be a pretty dangerous combo. Marcus is a hell of a player. I think it will be a great fit, especially because he needs another ball hander. He needs somebody else who can take the load off. We can play off each other. I think it will be very good.

Q: What was your reaction when you heard that Pitino will be back with the Gophers next season?

A: I’m excited. I had no question that they wouldn’t bring him back. He’s a great coach, a young coach and he has a young team. I’m excited, because he’s the person I built a connection with at an early age in my recruiting process. He’s a big part of why I’m going there. I wouldn’t want any other coaching staff to be there. I’m really happy that he’s going to be back next year.

Q: How excited are you to try to help the Gophers get back to the NCAA tournament next season?

A: I’m ecstatic. It’s a dream to play in the NCAA tournament. Being in March Madness. I’m sad I couldn’t see it this year [as a fan]. I’m excited for next year. Can’t wait to get there.

There isn’t a coach Jamal Mashburn Jr. would rather play for in college than Richard Pitino. That’s why the four-star Brewster Academy (N.H.) guard was excited to hear last week Pitino would be returning with the Gophers next season.

Mashburn and Pitino have a family history with their fathers teaming up as star player and coach at the University of Kentucky in the early 1990s.

The younger Mashburn, who earned first team All-New England Prep School Class AAA honors this year, is joined in the Gophers' 2020 recruiting class by four-star Chicago Heights Bloom forward Martice Mitchell.

In a Q&A with the Star Tribune recently, Mashburn shared his thoughts on this season for Pitino and the Gophers, his senior year being cut short by the virus crisis, his potential role as a freshman and more.

Q: How were you affected by the Coronavirus cancellations in the world of sports last week?

A: We were actually at the National Prep Showcase [in Connecticut]. We were in the championship game, but we had to call it quits. We were able to play two games before it was cancelled. We were named co-champions with Putnam Science Academy (Conn.). It was really good to play with the guys. We came together in the end. I’m sad we couldn’t [play for the national title], because I know we could have won. Just those last two games being wins, I’m glad it ended on a positive note. Now, it’s time to take the next step.

Q: What was your senior season experience like with Brewster Academy?

A: As far as the overall season, I felt like individually I did well. We obviously have a lot of guys who can do a lot of things on the floor. That’s what Brewster is. We bring a lot of talented guys together. We try to get better competing against each other in practice. Just to get better is the main goal. Try to get better for the next level. Overall, it was a very good year. A very successful year.

Q: What did you work on improving in your game the most this season?

A: This year, I think my defense has taken a big leap. Being able to make certain reads and on and off the ball defense. Just reading the game, I’ve gotten a lot better. The game has slowed down for me, especially being a lead guard. That’s something that I improved on.

Q: From watching your games, it seems you were attacking the basket more this year. Was that your intent?

A: Yeah. One of the things I wanted coming into this year was work on finishing better around the basket. Just playmaking. Those are things I can do, but people were kind of questioning. I just wanted to try to add more pieces to my game and bring it all together.

Q: The Gophers had some big wins, but they also struggled in close games at the end this season. What are your thoughts on Pitino’s team?

A: I see a team with talent [and youth]. I’ve been around the guys for some time. I see that there’s potential. There are things that can be done [to get better]. I’m going to come in and work my butt off, as I always do. I’m ready to get going. I see a coach who lets his players play with freedom. I’m just excited to get there. Really excited.

Q: Sophomore point guard Marcus Carr had an All-Big Ten season. How do you think you’ll play with him as a freshman?

A: I’ve played with other great guards. I think we’ll mix well together. It will be a pretty dangerous combo. Marcus is a hell of a player. I think it will be a great fit, especially because he needs another ball hander. He needs somebody else who can take the load off. We can play off each other. I think it will be very good.

Q: What was your reaction when you heard that Pitino will be back with the Gophers next season?

A: I’m excited. I had no question that they wouldn’t bring him back. He’s a great coach, a young coach and he has a young team. I’m excited, because he’s the person I built a connection with at an early age in my recruiting process. He’s a big part of why I’m going there. I wouldn’t want any other coaching staff to be there. I’m really happy that he’s going to be back next year.

Q: How excited are you to try to help the Gophers get back to the NCAA tournament next season?

A: I’m ecstatic. It’s a dream to play in the NCAA tournament. Being in March Madness. I’m sad I couldn’t see it this year [as a fan]. I’m excited for next year. Can’t wait to get there.

Good, we need his help. Having two point guards available would be a big help.

Pretty nice comments to hear from an incoming recruit. Now if Walton commits and Oturu opts to stay we should have a great season next year and beyond.

Watching some game film of Mashburn and his game looks very similar to Carr's to me. Carr is listed at 6-2 195. I have seen Mashburn listed at 6-0 160, 6-2 175, and 6-0 180 on different sites. Anyone know what it is for sure?

Top Bottom