Fleck on with Ryan Leaf, Rich Eisen show

year of the gopher

Section 117, Row 4
Reaction score
Fleck will be on the Rich Eisen show today, guest hosted by Ryan Leaf who has been a big believer in the Gophs since prior to the start of the season.

Can listen at http://player.listenlive.co/33931

On from 11-noon Central.

Last edited:

Don't know when Coach Fleck will be on but the show goes from 11:00am to 2:00pm Central time. He's listed as their 3rd guest.

Don't know when Coach Fleck will be on but the show goes from 11:00am to 2:00pm Central time. He's listed as their 3rd guest.

Ah, got it, didn't realize it was 3 hours. I'm listening and will try to post when Fleck comes on.

The Full Ride Show on ESPNU that features Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisel, this morning they conversed about the Gophers and PJ for at least ten minutes.

PJ has brought Minnesota and the RTB culture into relevancy. You may hate PJ schtick, nut his schtick has people identifying and talking about Minnesota.

Leaf has been getting his Ski-U-Mah on all season.

Go Gophers!!

The Full Ride Show on ESPNU that features Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisel, this morning they conversed about the Gophers and PJ for at least ten minutes.

PJ has brought Minnesota and the RTB culture into relevancy. You may hate PJ schtick, nut his schtick has people identifying and talking about Minnesota.

I wouldn't say it is his schtick that has people identifying and talking about Minnesota, I believe it is the fact that the Gophs are 6-0 and ranked #20 in the AP poll, especially when people weren't sure how good the Gophs would be. If the Gophs were 0-6 or 1-5, no one would be talking about the Gophs, with the exception of whether Fleck would be getting fired this season and, likely, how corny his schtick is. Winning is the reason the Gophs are getting national exposure, not Fleck's schtick.

I wouldn't say it is his schtick that has people identifying and talking about Minnesota, I believe it is the fact that the Gophs are 6-0 and ranked #20 in the AP poll, especially when people weren't sure how good the Gophs would be. If the Gophs were 0-6 or 1-5, no one would be talking about the Gophs, with the exception of whether Fleck would be getting fired this season and, likely, how corny his schtick is. Winning is the reason the Gophs are getting national exposure, not Fleck's schtick.

Like Mike Leach's schtick, Jim Harbaugh's schtick, Dana Holgorsen's schtick, Mike Gundy's schtick, and so on...

Leaf just said that he has been saying Minnesota will win the Big West since July 29. "They made Nebraska look pedestrian."

Actually he said PJ will be on during Hour 3

Ryan Leaf just said that Coach Fleck "will be joining us in Hour 3". That means sometime between 1:00 and 2:00.

I thought Leaf was in jail somewhere, huh

Leaf has actually been an awesome redemption story. Did do time in jail after he was addicted to opiates, but spent a lot of time in recovery and has become a great public speaker. Really nice to see what he did after hitting rock bottom.

They just went to commercials and PJ will be on when they get back on air.

Leaf just said that he has been saying Minnesota will win the Big West since July 29. "They made Nebraska look pedestrian."

Actually he said PJ will be on during Hour 3
Well, Nebraska is pretty pedestrian. They never deserved the hype they had earlier this year. That said, we kicked their butts on Saturday.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Anyone have a summary of the interview?

I listened.

Ryan Leaf opened with asking PJ why others weren't smart enough until now to pick the Gophers as a top 20 team.

Then he mentioned looking ahead to PSU and the final four teams. This was followed by the predictable PJ answer.

Ryan asked about the inspiration of RTB.
Fleck replied about compass, oar, boat. Told story of losing son.
Ryan gave condolence and positive feedback about what PJ has done.

Talked a bit more about GPA. Athletically, socially, spiritually, academically.
I think that's about it.

Nothing earth shattering, but Leaf is a PJ fan it appears.

I listened.

Ryan Leaf opened with asking PJ why others weren't smart enough until now to pick the Gophers as a top 20 team.

Then he mentioned looking ahead to PSU and the final four teams. This was followed by the predictable PJ answer.

Ryan asked about the inspiration of RTB.
Fleck replied about compass, oar, boat. Told story of losing son.
Ryan gave condolence and positive feedback about what PJ has done.

Talked a bit more about GPA. Athletically, socially, spiritually, academically.
I think that's about it.

Nothing earth shattering, but Leaf is a PJ fan it appears.
Thanks!

Leaf: Why did it take so long for people to be as smart as me and put you in the Top 25?
PJ: Appreciate that. Actually rallied around you selecting us to win West during camp

Leaf: Explain RTB
PJ: Explained RTB

Leaf: 3-headed monster at both RB and WR
PJ: Pair and a spare at RB, 3 WRs that would give any team in the country trouble, QB who's a winner and leader

Leaf: Slow start to season
PJ: Lots of teams struggle against FCS/G5 teams and even lose a game. SDSU, lots picking them to win championship. FSU, finished in top 15 last year. GSU, mess up your week due to prepping for option.

Leaf: Can you look ahead to that last month?
PJ: You'll hate my answer, but we take it one game at a time...etc.

Leaf: CFP system...
PJ: Based on opinions of those in the room. Change is inevitable, but that's exciting...always evolving. As G5 teams (MW, AAC) improve, it's inevitable.

Leaf: California law on paying student athletes...
PJ: I'm all for enhancing the experience of a student athlete and the evolution of college football. At MN we'll always provide an elite experience for students on and off the field -- that's the focus of AD and Prez. We'll lean on the B1G and NCAA for guidance on this specific situation.

Leaf: Hoping for the best, excited about those final four games. Good luck, thanks...
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers!

Minnesota HC PJ Fleck Talks Gophers' 6-0 Start w/Ryan Leaf | Full Interview

Last edited:

Top Bottom