The Maryland game

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
At risk of looking past Rutgers (their fans want them to leave the Big Ten) it’s the Maryland game is that setting up to be the ultimate trap game.

They were ranked earlier in the year. We’ve historically had trouble with them and they usually talented players. It will come after, what everyone thinks will be an easy victory, and before the game everyone had circled on their calendar.

And let’s all make some sacrifices at the alter of the injury gods this week too.

At risk of looking past Rutgers (their fans want them to leave the Big Ten) it’s the Maryland game is that setting up to be the ultimate trap game.

They were ranked earlier in the year. We’ve historically had trouble with them and they usually talented players. It will come after, what everyone thinks will be an easy victory, and before the game everyone had circled on their calendar.

And let’s all make some sacrifices at the alter of the injury gods this week too.
We are fortunate to get another bye after this game. That alone should keep us focused and not looking ahead to PSU, we will have two full weeks to do that.

We are 0-0 vs Rutgers. That is all that matters until Sunday.

Yes. Rutgers is priority one for now, but Maryland does have a lot of talent. The fella's will need to show up with their best game.

I'm in the tunnel for the Maryland game. VERY excited and looking forward to seeing a 7-0 team take the field.

We're still not good enough to look past ANYONE.

Gophers are good enough for our fans to look past Rutgers. Rutgers is the first B1G opponent I can recall that is lowly enough to look past without guilt.

Maryland worries me. They vaulted into the rankings after their first two games and since then have been slowly slumping farther each week. I was most encouraged to seem them soil the bed in the same Purdue game where the Gophers looked great on offense. But, they are talented enough to provide a trap game for the Gophers plus they have intangibles of beating Fleck's Gophers twice in a row.

I'm in the tunnel for the Maryland game. VERY excited and looking forward to seeing a 7-0 team take the field.

Nice. Maryland is my first time ever tailgating for a Gopher game. I'm hoping for an afternoon/evening kickoff.

Nice. Maryland is my first time ever tailgating for a Gopher game. I'm hoping for an afternoon/evening kickoff.

2:30 is a perfect time for kickoff and tailgating, in my opinion.

It is the team that cant look past anyone. We , the fans, are free to do what we want and yes I am looking way past rutgers. If the 2's are not in for the entire second half, I will consider it to be a massive disappointment. Rutgers can not stop a nose bleed for god sakes.

Maryland scares me too. In fact, I called 9-3 at the start of the season with losses to Maryland, Penn State, and Iowa. It's a super trap position on the schedule, and a foe that's both had our number and is capable of high performances. I'm OK looking ahead to Maryland, but 8-0 is far from certain.

It is the team that cant look past anyone. We , the fans, are free to do what we want and yes I am looking way past rutgers. If the 2's are not in for the entire second half, I will consider it to be a massive disappointment. Rutgers can not stop a nose bleed for god sakes.

Amen. A trap game might be Northwestern. By then they will 4-5 at best and wanting to finish 6-5 and play an extra game in Detroit. We cannot have 3 losses when Wisky come to town and they like will want to ruin it for us.

This Maryland game concerns me. They are one of those teams that most people tend to overlook but yet they are a very tough team to beat (Northwestern is another). I remember the Gophers were 3-0 just two years ago and Maryland came into TCF Bank Stadium and just ran all over the Gopher defense. Couldn't stop them at all on the ground. They must have averaged 6-7 yards per rush play in that game.

Then last year, they completely dominated the Gophers winning 42-13.

This year's team is different and I am cautiously optimistic with the game being played at TCF Bank Stadium. PJ and his staff will have this team ready to play.

I mean, Maryland also just lost to Purdue 14-40, so . . .

This Maryland game concerns me. They are one of those teams that most people tend to overlook but yet they are a very tough team to beat (Northwestern is another). I remember the Gophers were 3-0 just two years ago and Maryland came into TCF Bank Stadium and just ran all over the Gopher defense. Couldn't stop them at all on the ground. They must have averaged 6-7 yards per rush play in that game.

Then last year, they completely dominated the Gophers winning 42-13.

This year's team is different and I am cautiously optimistic with the game being played at TCF Bank Stadium. PJ and his staff will have this team ready to play.

I hope Robb Smith is coaching Pop Warner in Nome Alaska this season. Look at those rushing averages for the non-garbage time players.

Maryland is an interesting team.
Started off super hot now stumbling.

One of the most inconsistent teams out there over the last couple years.

I think Maryland will be another feather is Rossi's hat. We saw the difference with Illinois, I think we see it again here.

I think Maryland will be another feather is Rossi's hat. We saw the difference with Illinois, I think we see it again here.

Yup. I watched most of the Maryland - PU game on Saturday and trust me when I say they're not good. Talented perhaps, but Neb had some dangerous athletes as well and MN kept them in check by playing fast and disciplined on D -- like they have since Rossi took over. I expect the Maryland game to play out similarly so long as MN takes care of the ball on offense and avoids major miscues.

But what if this is the lightning in the bottle year, and we don't look ahead this year?
We may never have such a good chance to look ahead.

Who knew at the start of the year we could be looking ahead the whole time to Penn St, and no one did? Instead our fearful fanbase just took it week-by-week?

Opportunity lost.

But what if this is the lightning in the bottle year, and we don't look ahead this year?
We may never have such a good chance to look ahead.

Who knew at the start of the year we could be looking ahead the whole time to Penn St, and no one did? Instead our fearful fanbase just took it week-by-week?

Opportunity lost.

Gophers will be jacked for his game. Just show the team game low lights from last year's debacle. Redemption on the front burner.

When should we expect the game time to be announced for Maryland?

Agree. Last year's MD game was when many GHers including myself thought the defense looked out of sorts.

Right. Teams having bad seasons (like Rutgers) often manage to get up for one game and knock somebody off. We don't want to be that victim. Maryland has been inconsistent, but in recent years has given us a lot of trouble. Gophers can't underestimate either of those teams, but wouldn't it be great to go 8-0, then go at Penn State at home after a bye?

Top Bottom