Sid Hartman: Gophers at their best

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

“We need our best players to play their best football from the middle of October to late November, that span,” Fleck said. “It is good to see our team starting to play better football. That’s what you want to see, you want to see that team develop.”

Fleck said if you want to pinpoint one part of the team that is really coming together, look no further than the offensive line. That unit doesn’t have a single senior starting, but they are putting together one of the best rushing campaigns in school history.

“They’re getting better. They’re starting to play better together as a unit,” Fleck said. “… But we need to be able to continue to rotate lineman in. I think [redshirt sophomore] John Michael Schmitz at center gives us an element of toughness to that offensive line. [Redshirt freshman right guard] Curtis Dunlap Jr., I thought he played his best game yet, just how tough he was finishing blocks, how into the game he was and working on the small details.

“I could say the same thing about everybody, from Blaise [Andries, a redshirt sophomore] moving over to right tackle and doing what he did, [redshirt junior left tackle] Sam Schlueter has been Mr. Consistent and then you look at left guard, [redshirt junior] Conner Olson had one of his better days as well.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-showcase-offensive-balance-in-thumping-eagles/563016402/

Go Gophers!!

Sam Schlueter has been a pleasant surprise this year so far.

they are putting together one of the best rushing campaigns in school history

What? LOL! This isn't even close to one of the best rushing campaigns in school history. So far we are averaging 186.2 rushing yards per game. I mean, sure, if you want to pretend that the last two games were the only games played this year, then we've rushed for 327.0 yards per game, which would be a school record. But in reality, we averaged 115.75 in the first 4 games, so no, this is not one of the best rushing campaigns in school history. Just look at a small sample of the Mason era (rush yards per game):

2005: 273.1
2004: 256.8
2003: 289.2
2002: 209.8
2001: 217.2
2000: 187.5
1999: 227.2

There was also 1987 when we averaged 241.0, 1986 at 229.4, 1985 at 217.4, 1984 at 207.4, 1980 at 216.3, and so on. During the 1970s there were multiple seasons with 200+ rush yards per game.

If we're lucky, this team might crack the top 15 or top 20 rushing campaigns in school history - certainly not "one of the best."

Top Bottom