Scene in Kenya after Kipchoge became first to run marathon under 2 hours (video)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Axios Sports:

During a specially-tailored event in Vienna on Saturday, Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge became the first human to run a marathon in under 2 hours, covering 26.2 miles in 1:59:40.

One caveat: Kipchoge's time won't count as an official world record because it didn't come in a race setting and he was aided by pacesetters and drink deliveries.
The backdrop: The 34-year-old Olympic champion attempted this same challenge in 2017, but came up 25 seconds short (2:00:25). Since then, he set the official world record with a time of 2:01:39 at last year's Berlin Marathon.

Why it matters: Official or not, the 2-hour barrier has been broken — a feat that was, until recently, considered impossible.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Axios Sports:

During a specially-tailored event in Vienna on Saturday, Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge became the first human to run a marathon in under 2 hours, covering 26.2 miles in 1:59:40.

One caveat: Kipchoge's time won't count as an official world record because it didn't come in a race setting and he was aided by pacesetters and drink deliveries.
The backdrop: The 34-year-old Olympic champion attempted this same challenge in 2017, but came up 25 seconds short (2:00:25). Since then, he set the official world record with a time of 2:01:39 at last year's Berlin Marathon.

Why it matters: Official or not, the 2-hour barrier has been broken — a feat that was, until recently, considered impossible.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Sub-5:00 miles for 26.2 miles...I get sick just thinking about it.

I like to watch the leaders on Summit Ave during the Twin Cities Marathon. They don’t run like the rest of us. They sort of float and glide, seemingly pain free, even 23-24 miles into the race. It’s remarkable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like to watch the leaders on Summit Ave during the Twin Cities Marathon. They don’t run like the rest of us. They sort of float and glide, seemingly pain free, even 23-24 miles into the race. It’s remarkable.

I'm certainly no runner, but I do like to judgmentally people-watch. Many I see, including some in the TC Marathon, have a terrible running style. Lots of wasted energy and unneeded stress on their joints in their gait.

Drug induced euphorias.

I'm certainly no runner, but I do like to judgmentally people-watch. Many I see, including some in the TC Marathon, have a terrible running style. Lots of wasted energy and unneeded stress on their joints in their gait.

I ran Grandma's and TC back in 89. I might have been the worst style wise in both. I had no idea what I was doing.

My friend, and I, hitched a ride to the start at Grandma's with another runner. The guy who drove us asked if we had any vaseline. We both looked at each and considered jumping out of the car until he explained we will need it to help avoid chafing.

I was ok after Grandma's but was in big time pain after TC. I have never run any long distance since.

I ran Grandma's and TC back in 89. I might have been the worst style wise in both. I had no idea what I was doing.

My friend, and I, hitched a ride to the start at Grandma's with another runner. The guy who drove us asked if we had any vaseline. We both looked at each and considered jumping out of the car until he explained we will need it to help avoid chafing.

I was ok after Grandma's but was in big time pain after TC. I have never run any long distance since.

I loved running marathons. I ran Grandma's and TCM each several times. After each race stairs were my enemy and I felt like I got hit by a truck for a few days. Summit Ave. was always nasty because it was slightly uphill from Cretin to the Cathedral. The feeling crossing the finish line made the grind of training and the pain of the race all worth it. I gave it up a few years ago because I didn't feel like I could put my body through 15-16 weeks of training anymore. I still run pretty good distances and occasionally do some shorter races, but that's about it.

True. Also, all different body types.

The thing about friction is we dislike too much, or too little.

Which of those did you win the bet with the young woman? Hopefully Grandma's so you could enjoy yourself.

Which of those did you win the bet with the young woman? Hopefully Grandma's so you could enjoy yourself.

Grandma's was a bet with a guy in H.S. who said I couldn't just up and do it. I showed him!

TC was the bet with the young woman. I couldn't walk after so that didn't really work out in my favor.

That is what I remember at least.

Top Bottom