STrib: Gophers' answer to P.J. Fleck: Heck yes, it's worth it

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck had one question for players at the team meeting the night before facing Nebraska: Is it worth it?

The coach went around to nearly each player and shared a story about him. For running back Shannon Brooks, he asked if it was worth it to return from multiple injuries for his final season. For receiver Tyler Johnson, he asked if it was worth it to come back for his senior year instead of declaring for the NFL draft. For running back Rodney Smith, he asked if it was worth it to rehab an ACL tear to play his sixth year.

“I want it to be worth it,” Fleck told them. “I want you to love it here. I want you to enjoy your experience. At times, is it going to be hard? Yeah. But … has it been worth it up to this point?”

If any of the players waffled on their answer to that question, by Saturday night the choice might have become clear. With a decisive 34-7 victory against Nebraska, the best the Gophers have looked all season, the Gophers climbed to 6-0 and bowl eligibility.

They’re one of 12 undefeated FBS teams and four in the Big Ten at 3-0. Their eight-game winning streak dating back to last season is the longest for the team in 70 years. They are ranked No. 20 in the Associated Press Top 25, the first AP ranking since 2014.

“Being hurt last year and deciding to come back, that was in my vision,” Smith said of the Gophers’ current success. “It was one of the reasons I chose to come back. I believed that this team could be special. And we are special.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-answer-to-p-j-fleck-heck-yes-it-s-worth-it/563000482/

Go Gophers!!

This is what we have been waiting for.

I think Trevor Mbakwe said something to the effect of #unfinishedbusiness when he came back for his last year. I would like to think that these seniors have something they want to prove and go out winners.

Top Bottom