Golden Gophers Open -30 @ Rutgers

I can't remember a team in the Big10 as over matched as Rutgers.

Their B1G losses this year: 30, 52, 42, and 35 points
Hope Gophers dish out a fifth similar to those numbers

My hope is that the Gophies can play conservative and get a LOT of inexperienced bodies into the game to keep the starters fresh. In that scenario, I don't care if they win in a close game. That will just lead to other teams underestimating the Gophers like they've done all year with the close games to start the year.

Will Fleck call this the “Rutgers Championship Week.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will Fleck call this the “Rutgers Championship Week.”

I believe he already said that, or something similar, in the post game presser. The man is nothing if not consistent with his lingo.

I believe he already said that, or something similar, in the post game presser. The man is nothing if not consistent with his lingo.

We're 0-0. This is Rutgers championship week.

I think he is honestly trying to change how his players view each game and makes each game a "championship" because then someday when they play for a real championship (Big Ten West or B1G or Rose Bowl or whatever) he can say "We have played in 12 championship games already this year, we are prepared for this"

I think he is honestly trying to change how his players view each game and makes each game a "championship" because then someday when they play for a real championship (Big Ten West or B1G or Rose Bowl or whatever) he can say "We have played in 12 championship games already this year, we are prepared for this"

We don't need to worry about being intimidated in championship games, we've already stared down the paranormal after a week of scheming for ghosts.

I think it's insane that the (spread) gap between Minnesota and Rutgers (at Rutgers!) is greater than the one between Wisconsin and Illinois. Or that the one between Indiana (-27.5) and Rutgers also was larger than the one between Wisconsin and Illinois.

The only thing better than all the NYC TV money has been getting back the 4th non-con FCS game the league has tried to end. That's basically what Rutgers is at this point.

I haven't watched one snap of Rutgers football this year. What's the story with why they're so bad? I mean, I assume they don't block, tacklet, throw, run, or catch well...but are they seriously that completely overmatched at every single position group? How is it possible to build the worst team in FBS history when you're recruiting to the B1G?

I haven't watched one snap of Rutgers football this year. What's the story with why they're so bad? I mean, I assume they don't block, tacklet, throw, run, or catch well...but are they seriously that completely overmatched at every single position group? How is it possible to build the worst team in FBS history when you're recruiting to the B1G?

They are almost certainly the worst P5 team but not even close to the worst in FBS history. Not even close to the worst FBS team this season. They beat UMass by 4 TD to open the season.

"Worst team in FBS history" isn't true. They beat UMass by 27 and UMass even has a win, over Akron. I don't think it's a stretch, however, to say that they're the worst Power 5 team in history. They have a chance to get even worse, if that's possible, under an interim HC and a team that's likely given up on this season.

Agreed.

This will be the first week where the opposing team’s fans don’t talk trash leading up to the game. When your team is a 30 point underdog at home, you stay in hiding.

Last edited:

I honestly wondered when I'd even see a spread like that for us vs a B10 team...

Well just to put it in perspective, they had 2 QBs who seemed viable, 1 has retired due to injury, the other (who was Annexstads backup in high school) redshirted. So you have a kid who wasnt even the starter in HS and now they are worse off! I believe they also had a few of their players redshirt after 4 games to preserve a year. They may not be the worst P5 ever, but they arent far out of the conversation.

Thanks for the responses above. I guess I meant to say P5 rather than FBS. The Rutgers board is a hoot, btw. It's actually extremely active. The haiku thread is great, as is all the gallows humor, as is to be expected. Comments like wanting to be put into a medically induced coma for the PSU and OSU games...wondering if they're the worst team in B1G history (seems their point differential will likely challenge 1981 NW)...wondering if the +30 in Vegas is a point spread or O/U on passing yards.

Having suffered as a fan through a 1-11 season in the not too distant past, I empathize.

Last edited:

The Rutgers board is a hoot, btw. It's actually extremely active. The haiku thread is great, as is all the gallows humor, as is to be expected. Comments like wanting to be put into a medically induced coma for the PSU and OSU games...wondering if they're the worst team in B1G history (seems their point differential will likely challenge 1981 NW)...wondering if the +30 in Vegas is a point spread or O/U on passing yards.

Having suffered as a fan through a 1-11 season in the not too distant past, I empathize.

Even in Brewsters 1-11 season, there were a handful of big ten games where we looked like we belonged on the same field. This Rutgers team is something special.

Even in Brewsters 1-11 season, there were a handful of big ten games where we looked like we belonged on the same field. This Rutgers team is something special.

Our 2007 team had three losses by 7 or less, including two on the road, and one in 2OT. This Rutgers team has lost every Big Ten game by 30 or more and the average score of their Big Ten games so far is 41.25 -1.75. They truly are a sight to behold.

I think there is a chance the gophers win the game close. But if we score 21 points we will win.
Boston College only beat them by 14.

Other than the first game against UMASS they haven’t broken 20.
I don’t think they’ll score 20 points again this year.

I think it's insane that the (spread) gap between Minnesota and Rutgers (at Rutgers!) is greater than the one between Wisconsin and Illinois. Or that the one between Indiana (-27.5) and Rutgers also was larger than the one between Wisconsin and Illinois.

The only thing better than all the NYC TV money has been getting back the 4th non-con FCS game the league has tried to end. That's basically what Rutgers is at this point.

You have Illinois under rated.
They aren’t good but they were down 3 in the fourth quarter @ Michigan
They had a 4th quarter lead against Nebraska
They were tied with less than two minutes left against E Michigan

They’re bad but they’ve only been blown out by one team. That’s the team you’re saying is favored by too much.

It wasn’t long ago when we were awful as well. Can we please have respect for an opponent. Plus I don’t want to overlook an opponent

Sorry. I tried to honor your request but every time I close my eyes all I see is their players in big oversized clown shoes and their coaches wearing little top hats, smacking each other's faces and pinching each other's noses. As hard as I try, I can't respect this opponent and therefore I choose to completely overlook this Rutgers "team" and begin to focus my thoughts on the big upcoming home game against a tricky Maryland squad.

Last edited:

Top Bottom