Golden Gophers Open -30 @ Rutgers

Wow. When was the last time we were favored by 30 on the road against a B1G team? Clearly a combo of us being really good and Rutgers being the worst P5 team ever - but still, that is a huge line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegas definitely giving an opportunity to its NJ goodfella buddies to get some early $$ potential...:p

Lol. Can’t remember the last time we had a line like this in a B1G game.

It's a shame that Rutgers isn't playing Princeton this year.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

Let's just concentrate on finishing the season undefeated vs. Rutgers.

Let's just concentrate on finishing the season undefeated vs. Rutgers.

I agree. This should be a really hard game to lose however now with us having a running game and defense playing solid.
As long as we aren't losing to them in the 2nd half and we bag the W, I'll be happy.

I agree. This should be a really hard game to lose however now with us having a running game and defense playing solid.
As long as we aren't losing to them in the 2nd half and we bag the W, I'll be happy.

I'll be happy as long as we are winning when the game is over.

Rutgers is a B1G team in name only. Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana are bad B1G teams. Rutgers is an entirely different level of awful.

Their B1G losses this year: 30, 52, 42, and 35 points
Hope Gophers dish out a fifth similar to those numbers

It wasn’t long ago when we were awful as well. Can we please have respect for an opponent. Plus I don’t want to overlook an opponent

It wasn’t long ago when we were awful as well. Can we please have respect for an opponent. Plus I don’t want to overlook an opponent

Very true. Perhaps while we had it coming, I didn't appreciate hearing about it from friends across the border etc. We say that Nebraska and Penn States are respectful, no reason why we can't be too.

Lol. Can’t remember the last time we had a line like this in a B1G game.

When is the last time we had a line that big in any game? I am sure there was some non-conf game maybe but 30 is a massive number even for those games.

This is absurd as a road spread.

If we don't cover, that would make it the closest B1G game that Rutgers has played (30 point loss to Iowa is the current closest). If you mean that it is absurd that Rutgers is so bad they are 30 point dogs at home, I'd agree with you, but I think the line is actually about where it should be.

If we don't cover, that would make it the closest B1G game that Rutgers has played (30 point loss to Iowa is the current closest). If you mean that it is absurd that Rutgers is so bad they are 30 point dogs at home, I'd agree with you, but I think the line is actually about where it should be.

It seems absurd, but we should score 35+.
Holding them to less than a TD doesn't seem impossible.

I think the goal for this game should be to get the #2 (I guess #3) QB some snaps.

It seems absurd, but we should score 35+.
Holding them to less than a TD doesn't seem impossible.

I think the goal for this game should be to get the #2 (I guess #3) QB some snaps.

I think: 1. Actually winning the game, and 2. Getting through it in good health are perhaps the twin main goals, if I may be so bold.

We still have to play the game and they have D1 players on their team. At present we haven't won the game.
Just gotta make our best better than it was on Saturday night. [emoji848][emoji57]

We beat Illinois by 23 and then Nebraska by 27. Should beat Rutgers by 40+.

I'm not going to say this is a trap game for the Gophers, because it's almost impossible to come up with a scenario where Rutgers could actually win.

But beyond that, it's a weird situation for the Gophers. IMHO, you never want to embarrass your opponent or run up the score, but on the other hand, if you're a 30-point favorite and you only win by 20, people will say you under-achieved and bring back the questions about whether the team is legitimate. So, you don't want to win by too much, and you don't want to win by too little of a margin. Like Goldilocks, you want to find the margin that is just right.

The safest course for the Gophers may be to keep their foot on the gas until they cover the spread, and then let the backups go the rest of the way.

I get that Rutgers is bad, but a B1G line that big that doesn't involve OSU seems too high. Especially for the Gophers. I'm not used to this irrational exuberance.

I'm not going to say this is a trap game for the Gophers, because it's almost impossible to come up with a scenario where Rutgers could actually win.

But beyond that, it's a weird situation for the Gophers. IMHO, you never want to embarrass your opponent or run up the score, but on the other hand, if you're a 30-point favorite and you only win by 20, people will say you under-achieved and bring back the questions about whether the team is legitimate. So, you don't want to win by too much, and you don't want to win by too little of a margin. Like Goldilocks, you want to find the margin that is just right.

The safest course for the Gophers may be to keep their foot on the gas until they cover the spread, and then let the backups go the rest of the way.

I know this is going to sound disrespectful, but this may be a case where even after putting backups in we might not be able to avoid embarrassing them. Rutgers not totally quitting would be a feat in itself given the season they’ve had so far. Maryland beat them by 40. Indiana and Iowa shut them out. That said, I hope our team doesn’t share my attitude. Come out like any other B1G game, put the pedal to the metal until we have a huge lead and then cycle in the backups.

I don't think we have ever been as bad as Rutgers has been in their first 4 Big Ten games this year.

And we can overlook opponents all we want, we have zero influence on the outcome of games.

I think you just said it is a trap game..

Gotta remember Rutgers will probably be starting a 3rd string QB and has an interim head coach running the program.

The Minnesota sports fan in me leads me to a knee-jerk reaction of being not sure how to feel about this.

With that said, this Rutgers team is pretty much an abomination of epic proportions when it comes to Power 5 football.

I'll just say this: The guys should be able to to at least get into the 40s on offense and be dominant defensively.

We still have to play the game and they have D1 players on their team. At present we haven't won the game.
Just gotta make our best better than it was on Saturday night. [emoji848][emoji57]

Just win! But, like somebody else said... how often are the Gophers favored by 30 in the last ...say, 10 years?

I too,would like a backup QB or two to get some snaps.

Top Bottom