Gophers are #20 in the AP Poll!

Last time we were ranked was?

I've seen people online say 2014... the last time I remember being ranked was going into the bowl game against Missouri.. we lost that game and dropped from the poll. not sure if that was the same year (2014)

The four teams directly ahead of us, SMU, Michigan, Baylor and Arizona State all have difficult games next week, most on the road. If we take care of business at Rutgers we could be knocking on the door of the top 15.

Michigan is at Penn State
ASU is at Utah
Baylor is at Oklahoma State
SMU hosts Temple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Also #20 in the Coaches Poll. Let's get to the Top 10 by Penn State kickoff!

That won't happen. But IF (one game at a time) they win the next two, I could see it shaking up to a high of about #15. We were #17 when 2008 went downhill if I recall.

The last time the Gophers were ranked this high was 11 years ago, 11/1/2008, #20 vs. Northwestern.

“Something about becoming “the hunted”” -Brewster

Per the U of MN:

Minnesota Ranked No. 20 in AP Poll and Coaches Poll

Minnesota entered the AP Top 25 today after a 34-7 home win against Nebraska. The Gophers are ranked No. 20 in the newly released AP Poll and are also ranked No. 20 in the Coaches Poll.

This is the first time that Minnesota is ranked in the AP Poll since 2014 when it was ranked No. 22 on Nov. 23, 2014. It's the highest ranking for Minnesota since it was also slotted at No. 20 on Nov. 1, 2008.

Minnesota was ranked No. 25 in the Coaches Poll last week and moved up five spots this week. The Gophers were previously ranked in the Coaches poll on Nov. 30, 2014 when they were No. 25.

Dating back to last season, Minnesota has won eight straight games (Nebraska, Illinois, at Purdue, Georgia Southern, at Fresno State, South Dakota State, vs. Georgia Tech and at Wisconsin), which is tied for the fourth longest winning streak in the nation. Clemson has the longest winning streak at 21 games and is followed by Ohio State (12) and Appalachian State (11). Minnesota follows at eight wins and is tied with Baylor.

The Gophers are one of 12 undefeated teams in college football are 6-0 for the first time since 2003. Minnesota is now 10-2 in its last 12 games and has won eight straight games. The last time Minnesota won eight straight games was 70 years ago, as the Gophers ended the 1948 season with four straight wins and started the 1949 season with four straight wins.

The Gophers play at Rutgers on Saturday and then host Maryland on Oct. 26. Tickets are still available.

That won't happen. But IF (one game at a time) they win the next two, I could see it shaking up to a high of about #15. We were #17 when 2008 went downhill if I recall.

It could go higher. The Gophers don't have any chances between now and PSU to get a big win, but there's also 3 weeks of attrition above us too. I guess we'll see if the pollsters let us keep rising by default.

It could go higher. The Gophers don't have any chances between now and PSU to get a big win, but there's also 3 weeks of attrition above us too. I guess we'll see if the pollsters let us keep rising by default.

It could, but at some point the teams losing just won’t drop much if everyone starts going down or other teams will leapfrog us. We won’t get any popularity points beating Rutgers and not many beating Maryland.

15-17 at 8 wins seems likely.

The CFP selection committee will release the only poll that matter on Tuesday, November 5. If we remain unbeaten up to that point, I would be surprised if we weren't in the top 14 of that poll. We would move up dramatically each and every week that we remain undefeated in subsequent weeks.

BCS that sounds right. And no I wasn't saying the site was wrong I didn't even go to it because it said AP poll history. I was calling out that in another poll we had been higher.

Been a while since we got anywhere near the top ten. Mason got the program as high as 12 in 1999

If we win our next three we will be ranked in the top 10.

If we win our next three we will be ranked in the top 10.

Yeah, beating Penn State would definitely put us there, as well as cement the idea of being 11-0 going into the Wisconsin game into my mind....If we continue to get better every week like we have, I think my chili will be boiling over when the Penn State game happens.

Top Bottom