How many future NFL players on Gophers defense?

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
This is difficult to project, and I doubt it will play out exactly like this, but I have...

Coughlin
Renner
Barber
Martin
Winfield
St-Juste

2nd tier (they will get a legitimate shot to make a roster or practice squad)

Williamson
Durr
Devers
Mafe

This doesn’t include many of the young guys, who could be in the mix some day, but haven’t had a chance to prove themselves.

This defense is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure Barber is quick enough but he will get a look as an un-drafted FA and I wouldn't be against any member of the Barber family in anything football related.

Not sure I see Devers playing in the league but agree with the rest of your list for the most part. St. Juste didn't pop as much last night as he has in previous games but he has the look of being a really special find.

Not sure Barber is quick enough but he will get a look as an un-drafted FA and I wouldn't be against any member of the Barber family in anything football related.

Not sure I see Devers playing in the league but agree with the rest of your list for the most part. St. Juste didn't pop as much last night as he has in previous games but he has the look of being a really special find.

After posting that, I was thinking Barber might belong in the 2nd list. As for St-Juste, I just think they weren’t throwing in his direction, since he’s been lockdown in coverage. The PI called against him was very close. I can let that one slide. Devers keeps flashing, and clearly has the raw ability, but it could be a reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a lot of talent now (and coming up) in this defense. On physical characteristics alone most likely to be drafted:

Coughlin
St Juste
Mafe
Winfield
Schad

Probably

Durr
Renner
Williamson

Maybe

Martin
Thomas
Devers

It will be interesting to see what the various draft gurus say when they start cutting up all the film

Coughlin and Winfield are the only sure bets. The other guys listed here certainly have a chance. We tend to overrate the NFL potential of our guys.

Coughlin, Martin, Winfield, Durr, Nubin.

If the Gophers keep winning, the Pros can't help but notice.

My top four would be Martin, Coughlin, Winfield Jr, and Williamson.

It's impossible to predict some of the younger guys. Nubin, Mafe and Otomewo all have talent but it's too early to say.

For the upperclassmen I would predict Martin, Coughlin, Winfield and Durr.

Coughlin and Winfield are the only sure bets. The other guys listed here certainly have a chance. We tend to overrate the NFL potential of our guys.

This is the correct response. They are the only two at this point who have the appropriate mix of production, size, and athletic ability. Winfield will be a great nickel back in the NFL and Coughlin will be a great OLB in a 3-4.

Barber and Renner are strange inclusions. Both are decent college players. Barber doesn't have anything close to the requisite athleticism to play in the NFL, and Renner is a 278-lb. DT.

This is the correct response. They are the only two at this point who have the appropriate mix of production, size, and athletic ability. Winfield will be a great nickel back in the NFL and Coughlin will be a great OLB in a 3-4.

Barber and Renner are strange inclusions. Both are decent college players. Barber doesn't have anything close to the requisite athleticism to play in the NFL, and Renner is a 278-lb. DT.

You can throw Kamal into that group too based on what he's done this year. ESPN actually has him as our highest projected draft pick right now on offense or defense and has a mid round grade on him. You can definitely make the case that he has been our best defensive player this year in the 4 games he's played.

You can throw Kamal into that group too based on what he's done this year. ESPN actually has him as our highest projected draft pick right now on offense or defense and has a mid round grade on him. You can definitely make the case that he has been our best defensive player this year in the 4 games he's played.

I agree. He has been a difference-maker for them this season. I'm watching a recording of last night's game, and he was making plays all over the field.

Yes Kamal has great speed and quickness for his size. He also creates a lot of turnovers.

This is a great indicator of the team’s direction and fun to read. Discussing how many NFL players on the team. I remember at some point last year in one of PJs press conferences he made the comment about (not the exact phrase but....) “having 7 draft picks in the last so many years. There might be 7 on this team”. Kill put some good talent out there along with these seniors so a lot of respect to him also, but wow this team is reaching rarified air.

Just guessing who will be drafted. I'll go with Coughlin, Martin, and Winfield for the near future. For in the more distant future I wouldn't be surprised if Terrell Smith and St Juste got drafted.

Top Bottom