Crowd tonight

Crowd was decent, but considering amount of nebby fans should've been packed house

Was nice to silence go big red chants early

Yeah, figure they were a good 15K of the sales. It was fun despite all the red. Nebby fans in front of us were all nice...if not a bit delusional. Most had cleared out by late in 3rd Qtr.

Strawman argument. I was one of those, had student tix and attended all games. Had many friends doing the same. Looked forward to it as a break. Winning will fill that section.

For you, great. No way I could have done that.

Yeah, figure they were a good 15K of the sales. It was fun despite all the red. Nebby fans in front of us were all nice...if not a bit delusional. Most had cleared out by late in 3rd Qtr.

There is no chance re: your 15K estimate. I mentioned to my friend who attended the game with me how “few” Nebby fans there were in the house. Add in getting muted by the Gophers’ play on the field, and their collective inconspicuous was most enjoyable.

Think about today's college student. Your answer is in there somewhere. Football and even masculinity in general are bad and evil things. Must be stopped.

Token Trumper comment out of nowhere!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are we really talking about the pussification of the next generation, like every generation has before us? I went to grad school in Madison after Minn undergrad. Way more liberal in Madison yet an obsession with college football. I had a gay roommate who planned the tailgates every weekend. You guys got me laughing my ass off over here. It’s a local culture not a generational or political culture.

There is no chance re: your 15K estimate. I mentioned to my friend who attended the game with me how “few” Nebby fans there were in the house. Add in getting muted by the Gophers’ play on the field, and their collective inconspicuous was most enjoyable.

How much were you around before, at halftime in the concourse, and after the game? Most the open seats around my ST were Nebby fans. Also was in section 108 and there were plenty of Nebby fans sprinkled in that section...they were sprinkled throughout the north side outside of the normal visitors sections. I suspect many bought the multi game packs which spread them out.

Kudos to those able to attend, cause you guys sounded REALLY loud on TV, in fact there were times when I struggled to hear the announcers over the crowd noise (which is never really a bad thing). One question I have, in the second half the camera panned to show a section or three of the upper deck which seemed nearly devoid of fans, just a ton of empty seats, and why is that? Is that a visitors section or something?

If any of you actually think lack of student attendance has anything to do with toxic masculinity then I don’t know what to say. Anyone who actually promotes that would never be going to a football game in the first place. Spoofin was dead on, it’s apathy. Blame it on technology, blame it on poor marketing, blame it on prices, blame it on whatever, but a huge population of students just don’t care enough. Hopefully that changes once we get a number by our name, but it’s sad that that’s what it takes.

jfc "pussification". Some of y'all need to either realize your way of thinking is outdated or just stop interacting with other humans all together.

Build a legitimate and consistent football culture and the fans will come. Students have very little faith (which imo is deserved) in the team maintaining its success. If PJ sticks around and things keep tending upwards, TCF will be WILD come gameday. Don't chalk it up to "pussification", when in fact your bitching about the lack of fans is a better description of the "pussification" of the older generation.

Kudos to those able to attend, cause you guys sounded REALLY loud on TV, in fact there were times when I struggled to hear the announcers over the crowd noise (which is never really a bad thing). One question I have, in the second half the camera panned to show a section or three of the upper deck which seemed nearly devoid of fans, just a ton of empty seats, and why is that? Is that a visitors section or something?

Bowl end is student section, upper deck part was pretty much empty but for the first few rows of the middle of it. Visitors sections are NW upper deck and top of NE upper deck corners. Steady exit of Nebby fans from mid/late Q3 to end.

Bowl end is student section, upper deck part was pretty much empty but for the first few rows of the middle of it. Visitors sections are NW upper deck and top of NE upper deck corners. Steady exit of Nebby fans from mid/late Q3 to end.

Ah okay. Thank you. In any case, you guys were LOUD. That was great to see and hear.

I wonder how many people in this thread were at the game? My bet is less than half...

I thought the crowd was awesome! I think we got louder spelling MINNESOTA as the game went on. Not many students. I didn't make it down to the concourse during the game but I'm guessing it was packed watching the game. I envy schools with simple cheers like Go Big Red and am glad that got snuffed out pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder how many people in this thread were at the game? My bet is less than half...

I was at the game, so I guess that qualifies me to comment. I sat fairly close to the visitors section. NE fans were loud until midway through the 2nd quarter. I think the loud Gopher fans (yes, we were loud) and play on the field really took the wind out of their sails. It was loud, no question. While the student section was only about 1/2 full, those who attended were loud and active. If we can get a full stadium with that kind of fandom, we'll be in good shape.

The elements were a little more aggressive than most expected. Cold wet snow with a cold wind. Great for Gophers, but sitting in the stands was an experience. Winning always warms the heart!!

Ever person that attended that game was dialed in and depicted true fandom. Congrats!!

The Neb fans near us looked completely depressed most of the game. I don't think they cheered for 90% of the game. It was great!

Last edited:

jfc "pussification". Some of y'all need to either realize your way of thinking is outdated or just stop interacting with other humans all together.

Build a legitimate and consistent football culture and the fans will come. Students have very little faith (which imo is deserved) in the team maintaining its success. If PJ sticks around and things keep tending upwards, TCF will be WILD come gameday. Don't chalk it up to "pussification", when in fact your bitching about the lack of fans is a better description of the "pussification" of the older generation.

Pussification

The Neb fans near us looked completely depressed most of the game. I don't they cheered for 90% of the game. It was great!

There were two near me who refused to give up.

One play I turned back to agree with her, rest of her group kind of apologized for her, I just smiled

The Neb fans near us looked completely depressed most of the game. I don't they cheered for 90% of the game. It was great!

PJ and and other coaches have repeated that you can hit Neb hard and they will collapse.

I think their fans know too.

At the game if you hadn't looked around you might not know there were any of them there....

I am in Section 108 and we stood the whole game. First time I have ever seen that. Sat down for timeouts only. It was a wild night! So fun!

We are in section 110 and stood for most of the game as well. The crowd was energetic and I wish we could have filled the stadium with Gopher fans.

Ah okay. Thank you. In any case, you guys were LOUD. That was great to see and hear.

Glad to know as I lost my voice . My seats are behind the visitor bench so I always feel the need to yell as loudly as possible !

Regarding the low student section attendance from earlier in this thread and many threads in the past, we have never really had consistently high attendance by the students at TCF Bank Stadium beyond the first season and it thinned out as that 2009 season progressed. It boils down to a few things. One is that the students who come don't want to sit in the upper deck and if there is no room in the lower deck, they're not interested in sticking around. Two, we have had good teams, but haven't been consistently good and until winning back the Axe last season, hadn't won a big game in a while. So the games aren't seen as the place to be and student tickets aren't viewed as a valued possession. Three, the parties are often what the students are interested in and they consequently stay at those. Four, it seems like most of the students don't remotely dress well enough for the bad weather when there's precipitation and it gets cold. My seats are in vicinity of the student section and when I go down to walk around a bit at halftime, there is always a mass exodus of freezing and miserable students heading for home before the second half begins.

Regarding the low student section attendance from earlier in this thread and many threads in the past, we have never really had consistently high attendance by the students at TCF Bank Stadium beyond the first season and it thinned out as that 2009 season progressed. It boils down to a few things. One is that the students who come don't want to sit in the upper deck and if there is no room in the lower deck, they're not interested in sticking around. Two, we have had good teams, but haven't been consistently good and until winning back the Axe last season, hadn't won a big game in a while. So the games aren't seen as the place to be and student tickets aren't viewed as a valued possession. Three, the parties are often what the students are interested in and they consequently stay at those. Four, it seems like most of the students don't remotely dress well enough for the bad weather when there's precipitation and it gets cold. My seats are in vicinity of the student section and when I go down to walk around a bit at halftime, there is always a mass exodus of freezing and miserable students heading for home before the second half begins.

I totally agree with this. The 2nd deck of the student section was nearly empty, but the bottom bowl student section was packed tight and those students were damn active in the first half. They were loud and really helped the team in my opinion. I lost my voice too. Since the student section is festival seating (I think), I wonder if the students crowd more bodies than seat numbers into the lower bowl - especially in cold weather games.

And yeah, a lot of the students seem to do the sweatshirt, sneakers and no hat thing for these cold and wet games. That invites misery.

Last edited:

One of the really fun parts of last night was seeing the older fan and some older Gopher players enjoy the win. We sat in front of an incredibly nice fellow who played on the 67 team and his wife. If the magic can continue this will bring smiles to a lot of old time Gopher fans and hopefully bring in a new group of fans.

Football is as Popular as ever outside of participation in the sport. So it has nothing to do with the sport itself, just look at the Vikings, they have never been more popular, I remember in the 90s where it seemed like packer to vikings fans was 50-50 in the in metro, that is no longer the case. So there is something going on that keeps people away from attending games, and if I had to guess, just from looking at other schools, it has a lot to do with location of campus and what other alternative things someone could do and the cost other than attending a football game. I'd bet gopher football viewership is up this year, people just aren't going to games.

Last edited:

I did love seeing a few Nebraska starter jackets from the '90's. Quite the fashion statement. Go Big Red lol.

Damn u ignorant.

See this is exact phrasing and terminology used by the young generation that we seemingly have no hope for.

And yet here they are on Gopherhole reading about college football. See there is hope.

I totally agree with this. The 2nd deck of the student section was nearly empty, but the bottom bowl student section was packed tight and those students were damn active in the first half. They were loud and really helped the team in my opinion. I lost my voice too. Since the student section is festival seating (I think), I wonder if the students crowd more bodies than seat numbers into the lower bowl - especially in cold weather games.

And yeah, a lot of the students seem to do the sweatshirt, sneakers and no hat thing for these cold and wet games. That invites misery.

We definitely get packed in on the lower bowl. I've never come late enough to be pushed to the upper deck, but I've heard some say it's not the same feel up there. That's one of the only shortcomings with TCF; there aren't many student sections I can think of that are split between two levels. I think attendance issues would be somewhat less apparent with a continuous bowl.

Top Bottom