Crowd tonight

Think about today's college student. Your answer is in there somewhere. Football and even masculinity in general are bad and evil things. Must be stopped.

I agree. I’ve read ultra liberal articles speaking about how football promotes toxic masculinity. I’ve read about how football is too dangerous and too many young men get seriously hurt. I’ve read about how people think that with the brain injuries from concussions, football won’t even be played in a couple decades. It’s seen as toxic when guys want to get physical and put a hurting on someone in a competitive sport. Look how many dudes are dying their hair blue and wearing girls pants nowadays. I’m 27 by the way, not some old timer that’s too old to relate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I’ve read ultra liberal articles speaking about how football promotes toxic masculinity. I’ve read about how football is too dangerous and too many young men get seriously hurt. I’ve read about how people think that with the brain injuries from concussions, football won’t even be played in a couple decades. It’s seen as toxic when guys want to get physical and put a hurting on someone in a competitive sport. Look how many dudes are dying their hair blue and wearing girls pants nowadays. I’m 27 by the way, not some old timer that’s too old to relate.

These ideas exist yes, but as I've said before the people who actually believe in stuff like this would not be going to games anyways. It's not like it's some plague sweeping through college students; it's a very vocal minority who would go along with any radical liberal trend that emerge. Even if they were going to school 20 years ago when some of the more extreme ideas didn't exist, they still wouldn't care about football games.

So people aren't going to games because football promotes "toxic masculinity" but instead are watching football on TV instead? Because TV numbers say football is as popular as ever. Give me a break dude, you're just trying to bring politics where there is none, the gophers have struggled with attendance way before the CTE stuff came about. Participation in football is down, but viewership is not. Simple answer as to why people don't go to games is because it's not convenient or cheap and I get much better view and insight of the game from home on the TV, all without having to wait in line for food or the restroom.

Before we knew the weather would be so bad, I predicted this would be the third highest attended game in TCF history behind the Air Force and TCU games. However, once we knew the weather would be what it was, I was thinking the crowd would be what it ended up being, a good but not great one. On par with some of the other big games at TCF but no where near completely full like the Air Force and TCU games.

Really too bad that there was forecasted precipitation the last 3 home games. The GSU game ended up being good weather but I think many didn't go because throughout the week, it was suppose to rain.

We definitely get packed in on the lower bowl. I've never come late enough to be pushed to the upper deck, but I've heard some say it's not the same feel up there. That's one of the only shortcomings with TCF; there aren't many student sections I can think of that are split between two levels. I think attendance issues would be somewhat less apparent with a continuous bowl.

I agree that the U may be well served to pull in another section in the lower bowl and open up the upper deck to alternate fans. The Student section, outside of when its overly nice out or early in the year, just doesn't have the same feel in the upper deck and ends up having random people show up there who just want to stand (And aren't students at all)

I agree that the U may be well served to pull in another section in the lower bowl and open up the upper deck to alternate fans. The Student section, outside of when its overly nice out or early in the year, just doesn't have the same feel in the upper deck and ends up having random people show up there who just want to stand (And aren't students at all)

Doesn't the U already offer the unused student seats to other fans later in the week?

In another thread Cruze said that the lack of support for the U football is because rural Republicans hate the U of M. Ogee Oglethorpe says it is because of metrosexual liberals. I suppose in an era of political division we should be happy there is any bipartisan agreement, even if it is dislike of Gopher football.

It doesn't have the same feel because it doesn't fill up. Gophs continuing to win will solve that.

In another thread Cruze said that the lack of support for the U football is because rural Republicans hate the U of M. Ogee Oglethorpe says it is because of metrosexual liberals. I suppose in an era of political division we should be happy there is any bipartisan agreement, even if it is dislike of Gopher football.

Nice.

Yeah folks these days are taught that whatever irks them is the cause of all things it seems.

Sadly people are all too willing to buy into it.

Pretty sure section 119 used to be a student section, but it was hardly ever sat in so now it's one for the general public. I can understand the feeling that splitting the student section in 2 decks can take away something & it may not be the same up there, but students also weren't going when there was more lower deck sections as well.

I know it's probably not fair for those students that already purchased their season tickets for the year, but I hope they really find a way to get as many students as possible for the final 3 home games, whether they give them away for free, or charge $1 a ticket or whatever. This really has the chance to be a special season & having as many people as possible for the next two home games helps.

I thought the crowd was awesome! I think we got louder spelling MINNESOTA as the game went on. Not many students. I didn't make it down to the concourse during the game but I'm guessing it was packed watching the game. I envy schools with simple cheers like Go Big Red and am glad that got snuffed out pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
\

What you said! My observations as well!

Hats off to the Nebraska fans! All that I came accross were decent. I almost felt sorry for them, then 84-13 came to mind.

Yeah, figure they were a good 15K of the sales. It was fun despite all the red. Nebby fans in front of us were all nice...if not a bit delusional. Most had cleared out by late in 3rd Qtr.

15,000? one out of every three? no.

I think the weather had the most to do with the lack of students, as well as a possible perception that the gophers were gonna blow it vs Nebraska. Bad weather meant less students tailgating outside near the stadium, or at frat houses, etc. Then they probably decided to stay inside to watch the game. The students there were probably mostly student season ticket holders, and the weather hurt the single game student ticket sales/caused single game student ticket no-shows.

That said, as many have said, keep winning and the students will come. I predict a packed to the brim student section vs Penn State if we are entering that game undefeated and ranked between 15-20 in the nation (though If we take care of business convincingly, IMO we crack the top 15), especially if they are undefeated as well.

15,000? one out of every three? no.

1 out of 3 would be my guess too, but tough to tell with so many fans wearing rain/cold gear that was not maroon color. Lots of hunters at the game wearing bright orange or camo.

One gets a better sense of the opposing crowd when they score a TD, which did not happen until the 4th Q with many attendees already seeking shelter from the storm.

Pretty sure section 119 used to be a student section, but it was hardly ever sat in so now it's one for the general public. I can understand the feeling that splitting the student section in 2 decks can take away something & it may not be the same up there, but students also weren't going when there was more lower deck sections as well.

I know it's probably not fair for those students that already purchased their season tickets for the year, but I hope they really find a way to get as many students as possible for the final 3 home games, whether they give them away for free, or charge $1 a ticket or whatever. This really has the chance to be a special season & having as many people as possible for the next two home games helps.

I'd honestly rather have the money that's used for the scholarship give away be used to drop the cost of student tickets instead. The scholarships do serve a purpose of keeping people there for longer (which has worked on me in a couple of blowouts), but I'd like to see more people there rather than worrying about them sticking around.

I'd honestly rather have the money that's used for the scholarship give away be used to drop the cost of student tickets instead. The scholarships do serve a purpose of keeping people there for longer (which has worked on me in a couple of blowouts), but I'd like to see more people there rather than worrying about them sticking around.

Student season tickets are already almost free. Especially if they get the all sports option. Things like the scholarship give away are intended to not necessarily sell more tickets, but get kids who have tickets (worth about $10) to show up early (to get oars) and stay late ( to get scholarship ). I think it's genius. Best idea I've seen from our marketing department to date.

Good Lord, it was largely a joke. Incredibly sensitive people on this issue apparently (no doubt, some folks more sensitive than others). Not directing this at you, just a general comment.

Good Lord, it was largely a joke. Incredibly sensitive people on this issue apparently (no doubt, some folks more sensitive than others). Not directing this at you, just a general comment.

How can you tell what is a joke from the user in question, i'm not sure i'd belive him if he said it was a joke...?

It doesn't have the same feel because it doesn't fill up. Gophs continuing to win will solve that.

I don't know to be honest. Watching the game from up top makes it much harder for coordination of cheers, interaction with Goldy (ie the crap that makes it fun as a student). And I honestly think the stadium would be better served having more students closer to the action as it makes for a louder atmosphere. I'm no longer a student, just would love to see the atmosphere on gameday continue to grow (and us to get another generation of gopher fans going forward).

Top Bottom