Why is local media obsessed with Fleck running on the sidelines

I would like to think we are quickly approaching the point where the in fighting in the fanbase about the coach can go away and monikers like Fleckster will become a thing of the past around here.

I think it will go away, with continued success.

What may be harder to change is the "Miserable Minnesotan" mentality: the idea that we are, always have been, and always will be also-rans at best.

It will be much harder to coax some folks out of their comfort zone and get them to the point where they actually expect to win.

Just read some of the posts on this board. Lots of stuff along the lines of: "Not so fast..." "Slow our roll"... "I'll believe it when I see it"... "I refuse to get too excited, because I might be disappointed"...

I would like to think we are quickly approaching the point where the in fighting in the fanbase about the coach can go away and monikers like Fleckster will become a thing of the past around here.

Doubt this will happen.

Not when you have members of the fan base who are “offended” by a college football coach as if he has personally wronged them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

If PJ continues to win I bet that, gasp, he’s going to attract more believers and followers.

Anyone that has lived elsewhere can tell you it isn’t that Minnesotans are negative, it’s that they are BS sniffers that believe results before promises. Regarding positivity: every time PJ and Co does well people come on here to savage the state, the fans, and “show me” fans.

What I would caution some of you against is constant chastising of anyone and everyone in your personal sphere or online that wasn’t 100% on board from day 1. Then you will create a person hoping for him to fail. And if he stumbles they will be waiting to repay you. Be kind, be fair.

We aren’t concerned, you have always been hoping for him to fail....lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PJ Fleck running up and down the sidelines is certainly stemming from natural and genuine enthusiasm. That said, it would be a display of willful blindness to ignore that there is a studied aspect to it as part of his work to create the sort of personality cult that so many college coaches have. That’s not a Minnesotan thing to do. Bud Grant, Gardy, TK, and Warmath didn’t do that. It makes local media and fans nervous and skeptical. If Fleck had Tim Brewster’s record, most Gophers fans would be skeptics and nervous too. However, we have a very good team and consequently the doubters are fewer in number if not any quieter.

So, do people on here really think that the media mocking PJ for running sideline to sideline is because of MN's rubish nature? LOL

Have any of you ever traveled? Do you think the NY media would make fun of PJ for running on the sidelines? The answer is YES. Do you think the NY media would make fun of PJ's Fleckisms? The answer is YES. They would make fun of it constantly.

The rube-like quality of MN is how sensitive we all are to people disagreeing with us and/or poking fun of people we support. This thread is a great example. PJ would be made fun of for her quirks in every major market.

Now before you all get incredibly sensitive about this, they would also make fun of most coaches. They do. It's ok. It's harmless.

PJ Fleck running up and down the sidelines is certainly stemming from natural and genuine enthusiasm. That said, it would be a display of willful blindness to ignore that there is a studied aspect to it as part of his work to create the sort of personality cult that so many college coaches have. That’s not a Minnesotan thing to do. Bud Grant, Gardy, TK, and Warmath didn’t do that. It makes local media and fans nervous and skeptical. If Fleck had Tim Brewster’s record, most Gophers fans would be skeptics and nervous too. However, we have a very good team and consequently the doubters are fewer in number if not any quieter.[/QUOTE]

This is just it, it's about winning. Lots of coaches have quirks. Many of those quirks are more astroturf than grass roots because they are trying to install a certain cult of personality. Jerry did it with the "awww shucks, let's just play some ball" and Fleck does it in his Tony Robbinsesque way. When it works, and it clearly has for Fleck, keep it going. When it doesn't, it will get blasted.

So, do people on here really think that the media mocking PJ for running sideline to sideline is because of MN's rubish nature? LOL

Have any of you ever traveled? Do you think the NY media would make fun of PJ for running on the sidelines? The answer is YES. Do you think the NY media would make fun of PJ's Fleckisms? The answer is YES. They would make fun of it constantly.

The rube-like quality of MN is how sensitive we all are to people disagreeing with us and/or poking fun of people we support. This thread is a great example. PJ would be made fun of for her quirks in every major market.

Now before you all get incredibly sensitive about this, they would also make fun of most coaches. They do. It's ok. It's harmless.

C'mon, man! That's just plain mean!

These are all part of needless nick picky petty stuff embedded in Minnesotans' Psyche after years of languishing in mediocrity when it comes to Gopher Football. Yup, seventy year's worth. We make a lot of hooplah about petty stuff. That should go away when we bring home the hardware.

The opposite is delusional fans of a certain team who think they are still in the 80's and 90's.

Top Bottom