Why is local media obsessed with Fleck running on the sidelines

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
I don’t get why some of these guys hate him and the program because he runs in the sidelines.

I don’t get why Minnesotans cheer against Minnesota teams.

What am I missing?

It is astounding that so much of the media just can't handle his positivity or energy. Ironically, a consistent pessimist not just to the Gophers, but all local sports teams, Dan Barreiro sums it up best...his take is that he finds PJ's energy to be a bit too much, but that he is not the one that PJ needs to sell the team on, its the kids he recruits, and to a lesser extent, a young fan base that needs to be brought in.

PJ is just too youthful, energetic and happy for this media to handle.

Minnesotans HATE positivity. Feeling negativity about good situations is the Official State Emotion. The State border sign should say "Welcome to Minnesota...hey, dial her back, buddy. We hate winning too much."

It could be that all this winning is just makin’ em tired then.

Well, at least half of the a-hole media were hoping the gophers would lose.

And many of them are out of shape and have never been able to run, even as kids they couldn't.

Last edited:

LOL! Minnesotans believe in self flatulations. Why do you keep banging your head against the wall? The correct answer is it feels good everytime you stop.

��

So is thread about why the media hates him running or his positivity? This thread transitioned to a straw man real quick. No one hates him because he is positive. And, more of this “the media wants him to lose” crap. More nonsense.

A better question: For a group that (for some reason) really wants everyone to like the coach they do - why do they constantly look for slights that aren’t there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is thread about why the media hates him running or his positivity? This thread transitioned to a straw man real quick. No one hates him because he is positive. And, more of this “the media wants him to lose” crap. More nonsense.

A better question: For a group that (for some reason) really wants everyone to like the coach they do - why do they constantly look for slights that aren’t there?

You think Barreiro wants them to win.

You think the idiot on Kfan at noon wants them to win?

You think Fatrick wants them to win?

I just laugh!

At least half of their sponsored radio station is cheering for them to lose.

Last edited:

You think Barreiro wants them to win.

You think the idiot on Kfan at noon wants them to win?

You think Fatrick wants them to win?

I just laugh!

At least half of their sponsored radio station is cheering for them to lose.

I don’t think they want them to lose. I stand by my question.

I don’t think they want them to lose. I stand by my question.

I’m talking about this from the man who should retire.

“ I’d go to Gophs game tonight, if it wasn’t so cold. And traffic wasn’t so terrible. And parking wasn’t so ridiculous. And Yanks-Astros weren’t on. And the short, head-shaved att’n seeker didn’t run from one end to other between periods.
Five darn good reasons to stay home.”

Meatsauce has mentioned it on air multiple times.

I don’t get why people care if he runs on between quarters. He can’t be the only coach who does that, or is he?

LOL! Minnesotans believe in self flatulations. Why do you keep banging your head against the wall? The correct answer is it feels good everytime you stop.

��

... I'm scared to think of what a non-self flatulation might look (sound? smell?) like...

flagellation is the word I hope you were looking for

If Brewster had won here, the Rose Bowl Turf would be a sacred relic.

I’m talking about this from the man who should retire.

“ I’d go to Gophs game tonight, if it wasn’t so cold. And traffic wasn’t so terrible. And parking wasn’t so ridiculous. And Yanks-Astros weren’t on. And the short, head-shaved att’n seeker didn’t run from one end to other between periods.
Five darn good reasons to stay home.”

Meatsauce has mentioned it on air multiple times.

I don’t get why people care if he runs on between quarters. He can’t be the only coach who does that, or is he?

OK. I knew what you were referring to. I was referring to the notion that the media ‘wants’ us to lose. That is far different than finding something PJ says or does annoying, etc.

Re: the local sports media...

Someone on Gopher Hole (can't remember who it was) a few years back made a very astute observation regarding our local sports media: most of them don't know the names of more than 3 or four players on the Gopher roster. Most of them couldn't tell you, if asked, who the Gophers are playing next week.

When it comes to Gopher football, there's really no point in worrying about what the local sports media thinks — especially most of the radio people. They are entertainers. They have a job to do: performing their schtick. Their schtick doesn't really involve the Gopher football program.

bc237a750ff109c08ae1aa654dfb47ea.jpg
bc237a750ff109c08ae1aa654dfb47ea.jpg

Hahahaha SOOO true! I left Minnesota long ago and when I watch games with Minnesotans (ie. my family), it drives me crazy how negative they are. Tanner goes 22 for 23 passing and they say...too bad he missed that one. OMG

Reusse on twitter at his finest. I think he actually likes PJ Fleck, but it is more fun to poke fun at him, because he doesn't act like one of us. You know sit down, your embarrassing us, as your parent tells you to sit down at the game kind of way. I'm always loud at games, my parents gave up on me a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

As someone prone to occasional sprints through the office I'll never understand why he's constantly ripped for the quarter sprint.

How dare that man get oxygen to his brain, boost energy, and burn off excess adrenaline in a high stress enviornment!

Last edited:

As someone prone to occasional sprints through the office I'll never understand why he's constantly ripped for the quarter sprint.

Because it is different and Minnesotans get uncomfortable with different.

Don't hear it so much anymore but I remember when people were complaining about the defense raising the fist on 4th down.

Gopher football hasn't been on the radar of the local "sports" personalities in this town as anything more then an easy whipping boy for years. They would toss in a shot at Gopher football, deserved or not because the program wasn't relevant so it was an easy thing to do.

Start winning consistently and that will all change, won't happen over night, and will take time to cut into the Vikings hold on things but you can already see more positive Gopher coverage in the local media. And it will only improve if we keep taking care of business on the field and stay out of trouble off the field.

Reusse is just trolling again. It's what he does now.

Yes, he's taking a shot at Fleck; but if you read his tweet carefully you'll see that he's poking fun at Minnesota sports fans and their apathy toward Gopher football as well.

Reuse dozes off to sleep every night dreaming of the days he could move his legs fast enough to even be considered a trot. A slight grin comes across his face as he dreams of coming out of the tunnel hand in hand with PJ leading an undefeated Gopher football team on to the gridiron.

Reusse has a schtick, he doubles down on it every day of his life. Nobody could be that joyless!

Last edited:

If PJ continues to win I bet that, gasp, he’s going to attract more believers and followers.

Anyone that has lived elsewhere can tell you it isn’t that Minnesotans are negative, it’s that they are BS sniffers that believe results before promises. Regarding positivity: every time PJ and Co does well people come on here to savage the state, the fans, and “show me” fans.

What I would caution some of you against is constant chastising of anyone and everyone in your personal sphere or online that wasn’t 100% on board from day 1. Then you will create a person hoping for him to fail. And if he stumbles they will be waiting to repay you. Be kind, be fair.

Reusse is just trolling again. It's what he does now.

Yes, he's taking a shot at Fleck; but if you read his tweet carefully you'll see that he's poking fun at Minnesota sports fans and their apathy toward Gopher football as well.

Bingo, thanks. The apathy he points out is getting out of the barcalounger and actually attending games. There's a fair amount of Fleckters out here who resemble what he's poking fun at...

Bingo, thanks. The apathy he points out is getting out of the barcalounger and actually attending games. There's a fair amount of Fleckters out here who resemble what he's poking fun at...

I would like to think we are quickly approaching the point where the in fighting in the fanbase about the coach can go away and monikers like Fleckster will become a thing of the past around here.

Top Bottom