Time for the U to recognize the broken chair trophy

100% .. also the more trophy the games better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chair is not a real trophy. It is forced. Not as forced as the bell, but neither belongs. Why do we have to pretend there is some great rivalry with Nebby? Doing so dilutes the actual rivalries.

The chair is not a real trophy. It is forced. Not as forced as the bell, but neither belongs. Why do we have to pretend there is some great rivalry with Nebby? Doing so dilutes the actual rivalries.

I think all the teams in the big are our rivals. Nebby is a good one as we have a pretty even record against them. Michigan vs Minnesota is pretty one sided. Weird that Penn St has a trophy and this one is not allowed. I thought the chair was on the field a few times over it's short history.

Maybe it's more that Nebraska doesn't care about it.....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

This is fake news

The chair is a rivalry. Its new but still a rivalry. Plus it makes money for charity so support it peeps

I think all the teams in the big are our rivals. Nebby is a good one as we have a pretty even record against them. Michigan vs Minnesota is pretty one sided. Weird that Penn St has a trophy and this one is not allowed. I thought the chair was on the field a few times over it's short history.

Maybe it's more that Nebraska doesn't care about it.....

Nebraska cares about it as much as we do. Their fans also donate to the charities

Sorry. I didn't mean the fans. I meant the university. I like the Nebraska fans and think that it's always a big game when we play the team.

Much better sharing a stadium with them t than most of the Wisconsin and Iowa fans that I have met.

Sorry. I didn't mean the fans. I meant the university. I like the Nebraska fans and think that it's always a big game when we play the team.

Much better sharing a stadium with them t than most of the Wisconsin and Iowa fans that I have met.

I like the Trophy, but no way will Nebraska officially recognize it as long as Feaux Pelini is on it. If they replaced Feaux with Herbie, it might have a chance.

I like the Trophy, but no way will Nebraska officially recognize it as long as Feaux Pelini is on it. If they replaced Feaux with Herbie, it might have a chance.
They can take Fraud Pellini off and just put Herbie and Goldy on it. The donation thing is what now makes this a special trophy to me. I have a lot of respect for Nebraska and there fans. This is more of a fun rivalry than dislike. Nebraska fans are knowledgeable about football and more fun to talk football with. This game for them losing Martinez was always going to make this a tough game. Even if it remains unoficial. This game is now broken chair week with Nebraska.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The history of Gopher Football includes pre-Big Ten Nebraska. The Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin rivalries are given, but this isn't a forced trophy game a la Penn State. This is one that honors tradition and respects the fans desires. It should happen, albeit with a better trophy perhaps.

Prez Joan Gabel and Mark Coyle - it is time to recognize the organic rivalry trophy and the spirit of giving to worthy causes it represents.

Even Rece Davis on College Gameday referred to the broken chair as "the best unsanctioned trophy in college football". It's time to make it legitimate!

They can take Fraud Pellini off and just put Herbie and Goldy on it. The donation thing is what now makes this a special trophy to me. I have a lot of respect for Nebraska and there fans. This is more of a fun rivalry than dislike. Nebraska fans are knowledgeable about football and more fun to talk football with. This game for them losing Martinez was always going to make this a tough game. Even if it remains unoficial. This game is now broken chair week with Nebraska.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I badly want the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy to be recognized, but you nailed it about the Faux Pellini situation. Whoever runs the Goldy Gopher Twitter account actually spurred the creation of the trophy after some back and forth with Faux Pellini. However, the $5 bills on the original trophy had Goldy and Pellini on them and the Nebraska athletic department was not amused. When the Cornhuskers won the thing and Mike Riley, who likely had no grasp of the political situation, posed for pictures with it, that was the last straw.

The original and “real” $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy vanished and hasn’t been seen since. It could have ended up in a landfill, Riley might have it on his fireplace mantle, it could be in a hall closet in the Nebraska athletic department offices or who knows where else. I wrote emails to several people in the Nebraska athletic department a couple of years inquiring about the trophy’s whereabouts, but predictably got no response.

The fans involved in the charity drive exchange a new version of the trophy that has had all traces of Faux Pellini removed, but the schools don’t even acknowledge its existence. Apart from wounded pride and ego, as well as a desire by Nebraska to not endorse what some might see as something disrespectful to Bo Pellini, I think one major issue is that because of how it was created, the U of M and Nebraska are nervous about financially exploiting a trophy that neither technically owns the intellectual property rights to although the U might have somewhat of a case due to an official school Twitter account commissioning the original trophy’s construction.

As for the Governor’s Victory Bell, blame Arne Carlson. When Penn State joined the Big Ten, the Gophers were their first ever conference opponent. Arne reached out to whoever was Governor of Pennsylvania at the time and the trophy was commissioned in conjunction with the schools and their football teams. No one cared then and no one cares now. It was well intended but remains contrived and ridiculous.

Hey maybe can just replace the chair with a broken bale of hay!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom