Most anticipation or biggest watershed game for Gophers since...

Most anticipated Gopher game since...

• Michigan 2003

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Northwestern 2008

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • TCU 2015

Votes: 32 43.2%
  • OTHER (please explain)

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Heads have begun to turn. It is interesting that at least in post year 2000 Gopher history, the Gophers have lost these games. But, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on where this weekend's game against Nebraska ranks in terms of Gopher history of big games.

2013 Wisconsin. The atmosphere on campus was electric that day. I haven't seen so much excitement for a gopher game in my time following the team.

2013 Wisconsin. The atmosphere on campus was electric that day. I haven't seen so much excitement for a gopher game in my time following the team.

Great example and now that you mention that one, I probably could have added it as well as the 2014 game where the winner would have won the west to this list, as the only away game on the list. But both these games still fit the mold as being losses, sadly.

This is an exciting game but in the previous games listed, we were not favored correct? Are we not giving these guys 7 points? We get to Penn State healthy and with a clean record, that will surpass any game I have seen here in the last 40 years. This one is a chance for us to make some national noise since the rest of the country still thinks Nebraska is still a power house. I say if possible, we smash their delusion and be humble.

Assuming we're talking home games, it has to be TCU 2015.

All games included...Wisconsin 2014 by far

I picked other because none of the above wasn't an option. I don't feel like the anticipation level is super high for this game and I honestly don't feel like a win over Nebraska would really be any sort of watershed moment at this point.

Now if we manage to get to Penn State at 8-0 that one will be right up there with Michigan 2003 in terms of anticipation and excitement level.

Great example and now that you mention that one, I probably could have added it as well as the 2014 game where the winner would have won the west to this list, as the only away game on the list. But both these games still fit the mold as being losses, sadly.

For me, its wisconsin 2014. A game against our biggest rival, the last week of the year, winner take all for a trip to the title game seems like as big of a game as a regular season game could be.

For me, this game feels more like 2014 Iowa at home. Mid-season game. The winner still had a chance at the West Division. Big, fun, but not a huge "program" type game.

For this season to have anything in the way of an historic game at home, the Gophs need to get to Penn State undefeated or into Wisconsin with no less than one loss. Then it might feel like 2003 in the "game we will not mention".

Nebraska is blocking that path this week. Go Gophs.

I think this is still a bit "under the radar" compared to TCU 2015.

This is still just an insider's hype game where we're all hyped about it but I'm not sure outside the enthusiasts are watching, yet.

Continue to win and they'll notice.

My pick may not be the biggest "since", but I believe it is the most similar in situation and build up of the game. In 2008, Gophers started out 7-1 in Brewster's second year with the only loss being to a highly ranked Ohio St. team. Northwestern was coming to the dome. Many were questioning the validity of the record and how good the Gophers really were at the time. A late interception in our zone led to Northwestern's winning score and it was later proven that the 7-1 record was somewhat of a mirage (although I think Decker went down with injury in that game which affected things). The difference this year is the Gophers are not a mirage and are a very solid team on both sides of the ball, and hopefully we finish much better in 2019 than 2008.

This feels a lot like last week's game! - PJ Fleck

2013 Wisconsin, and Harbaugh's first visit here on Halloween night, 2015?

The three games you mentioned all had more implications than this one. If Nebraska had lived up to the hype, it may have had more meaning. We have three upcoming games that should be more important to our season.

Heads have begun to turn. It is interesting that at least in post year 2000 Gopher history, the Gophers have lost these games. But, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on where this weekend's game against Nebraska ranks in terms of Gopher history of big games.

Gophs are 3-3 in the last six games with Nebby, so I don't see it as watershed.

Michigan is the closest to the game at hand.

2003 was the last time we started out 6-0. So we can reach that mark this weekend!

I think this is still a bit "under the radar" compared to TCU 2015.

This is still just an insider's hype game where we're all hyped about it but I'm not sure outside the enthusiasts are watching, yet.

Continue to win and they'll notice.

You're right.

2013 Wisconsin, and Harbaugh's first visit here on Halloween night, 2015?

Gophers were only 4-3 going into that Michigan game including getting shutout at Ryan Field.

This game should definitely surpass that but it won't be as good as TCU which was a top 2 atmosphere in TCF Bank history along with Air Force. The only thing I worry is that the snow may scare some people.

Wisconsin in 2014 was probably the biggest for the program with the division title on the line.

win and we start to make some real noise. Lose and its back to mediocreville in the eyes of the talking heads.

Not sure it rises to any of the ones listed. I think if we go 8-0 and penn state comes to town.... whoa boy, that could be some pandemonium around here.

Not sure - when was the last time we played an unranked 4-2 team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michigan 2003. For me that is by far the most anticipated game.

This Nebraska game isn't even on the radar.

Wisconsin in 2014 was probably the biggest for the program with the division title on the line.

I was in Vegas that weekend. When they jumped out front I was texting wife I might need to play to go Indy following weekend.

She wasn't too happy with me, the lead didn't last and I texted her not to worry about it, it's not happening :(

Michigan 2003. For me that is by far the most anticipated game.

This Nebraska game isn't even on the radar.

I'd say that if we happen to get to 8-0 and PSU is either undefeated or still one loss (therefore likely still a Top 15 team), that would align well with the 2003 Michigan game.

Not sure - when was the last time we played an unranked 4-2 team?

When is the last time you felt this optimistic about our chances to win the west going into game 6 or later?

When is the last time you felt this optimistic about our chances to win the west going into game 6 or later?

2014. I’m really excited for Saturday. Chili hot. This thread may be over playing this game just a tad. This whole site has gone off the deep end this week tbh.

2014. I’m really excited for Saturday. Chili hot. This thread may be over playing this game just a tad. This whole site has gone off the deep end this week tbh.

2014 was my answer too. Nebraska isnt a strong opponent, but I understand the excitement given that we haven't been this in the race since then.

If including all games, ‘14 Wisconsin for sure. Home games, ‘08 Northwestern and maybe even ‘05 Purdue.

Excitement on Gopherhole is high, but excitement around town is clearly not there. No one is buying tickets... lower seats can be had on StubHub for $80 and still there is virtually no movement.

Excitement on Gopherhole is high, but excitement around town is clearly not there. No one is buying tickets... lower seats can be had on StubHub for $80 and still there is virtually no movement.

Yeah we're still a ways away before the hoi polloi pickup on the momentum.

Top Bottom