Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OLD MUSIC

Another little known, but every cool one off of Arthur.

Some Mother's Son:

If at first you don’t succeed, then maybe you just suck. – Kenny Powers

The Exciters live on French TV is so cool.

Hmmm..the link doesn't appear to be working.

Oh Costa, you know I can't resist a Kinks post. Yes, Arthur is a classic. Great music and timeless social commentary. Shangri-la is the high point for me (love the horn arrangement). Yes Sir, Brainwashed, and Churchill are all great songs. I feel like Nothing to Say is an oft-forgotten song but one of my favorites (took it as my handle tagline).

Jaws was never my scene, and I don't like Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    Not my favorite Kink's song, but quirky good & also off of Arthur. Feels like it kind of fits into Ted/Nokomis' surf music theme.
    I like that Australia is the last song on the A side. I usually flip the record before the song is over. Gets a little jam-bandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokomis View Post
    I like that Australia is the last song on the A side. I usually flip the record before the song is over. Gets a little jam-bandy.
    I prefer the 3 minute radio version, to the 7 minute rambler myself.
    If at first you don’t succeed, then maybe you just suck. – Kenny Powers

When my son first started learning chess, I played him White Rabbit and told him it's a song about chess strategy. Then I realized I was actually thinking of this song.

I feel like I posted this video in a music thread years ago. But I absolutely love this song and version. "Overfed long-haired leaping gnome" -- one of my all time favorite lines. Talk about self-deprecating observational humor!

Also a karaoke favorite.

Last edited by Nokomis; 10-18-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Since we're talking The Kinks, I love this live version of the old standard, Lola. Seems the boys were really enjoying themselves this night:
    These are, I must admit, some of my favorite kind of fans. I think sometimes about that line in Woody Allen’s “Crimes and Misdemeanors,” — the main character’s father, a deeply religious man, is asked: “And if all of your faith is wrong … just what if?”

And the man says: “I’d still have a better life than all those that doubt.”
    -Joe Posnanski

I've just recently gotten into Little Feat, which of course starts with Dixie Chicken. Unfortunately, the sound man did a horsesh*t job with Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou's vocals here, but just a great song:
    These are, I must admit, some of my favorite kind of fans. I think sometimes about that line in Woody Allen’s “Crimes and Misdemeanors,” — the main character’s father, a deeply religious man, is asked: “And if all of your faith is wrong … just what if?”

-Joe Posnanski

Best song from the best concert film ever, IMHO:

-Joe Posnanski

My favorite version of Iko Iko:

-Joe Posnanski

Peak Stevie Wonder:

-Joe Posnanski

Is 30ish years old, old enough? I love me some old hip-hop, especially these next songs layered with jazz:

-Joe Posnanski