OLD MUSIC

I could eat this performance for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

Whenever I wear my green pants and rust-colored sweater--as I am today--I can't help but think of George in this video.

I recommend the movie Yesterday. Great.

I don't mind admitting, chills and tears when I listen to this song.

True punk pioneers: The Monks. Fun fact: the leader sing is from MN and was later the mayor of Turtle River. The German girl in this video introducing the band is pretty cute too.

I actually like old instrumental surf rock (The Ventures, etc.) Love the metallic guitar, sloppy drums, and bruising sax on this song.

Love the Centurians; Here's some classic local surf from the shores of the lake formerly known as Calhoun.

I actually like old instrumental surf rock (The Ventures, etc.) Love the metallic guitar, sloppy drums, and bruising sax on this song.

I seem to remember you saying there was only one good surf song ever.

Here is the title song to Endless Summer.

True punk pioneers: The Monks. Fun fact: the leader sing is from MN and was later the mayor of Turtle River. The German girl in this video introducing the band is pretty cute too.

Used to go see him at Lee's Liqour Lounge years ago. He would end his set asking the crowd to boo and hiss him. It was great.

There is a good documentray of the Monks: Monks: The Transatlantic Feedback 2006.

I seem to remember you saying there was only one good surf song ever.

Here is the title song to Endless Summer.

LOL! That sounds like something I would say. I just can't remember what song that is. Was it Sloop John B?

Nimoy singing Mitchell will never get old.

I like second line about as much as I like surf rock. I believe this recording is from the '90s but Olympia has been around since at least the '50s. This is the only one good second line song ever.

LOL! That sounds like something I would say. I just can't remember what song that is. Was it Sloop John B?

No. It was a good song though, I remember that much.

Any surf song is a good surf song.

One of the best "late night with no particular place to go" instramentals.

No. It was a good song though, I remember that much.

Any surf song is a good surf song.

Was it this surfer song? This is the Beach Boys first song to get played on the radio in LA.

Last edited:

We used to watch the Porter Wagoner show every week. God, her singing is so effortless. I love the hillbilly origin of country music, and I hope it never gets lost. (Ken Burns' recent doc gives good service to this.) That's why I listen to Hank 3.

Damn, that's good. Can a guy get that recording somewhere?

I have it on vinyl; although mine is an import with a black cover; I assume it's downloadable somewhere but I've never looked. It was written by Danny Amis when he was with Minneapolis group, The Overtones. Later, after the Raybeats, Amis started a terrific surf group, Los Straightjackets and they've obviously recorded several Calhoun Surf versions. As far as I know, following Amis' major health issue, the Los Straightjackets are back on the road.

I should add that the Raybeats were a NYC group.

https://tonezone.wordpress.com/band-bios/danny-amis/

In 1978, he pieced together a surf pop/instrumental band called the Overtones, consisting of himself on guitar and vocals, Jim Thompson on guitar, John Wilson on bass, and Steve Foley on drums. The Overtones were the first band Amis had that played in front of people.
“It was a great time to be in the Minneapolis scene,” Amis recalled, referring to the wave of bands that were coming up at that time, like Husker Du, the Suburbs, and, shortly after the Overtones’ heyday, the Replacements. “We fared pretty well. It was a very nurturing and encouraging music scene in which everyone was given a chance and in most cases did something pretty cool with it.”

The Overtones made one record, a 45 RPM on Twin/Tone Records, recorded in February 1980 and released in May of that year. It consisted of three songs: “Red Checker Wagon” (an Amis original with vocals), “Surfer’s Holiday” (a cover tune written by Brian Wilson, Gary Usher and Roger Christian) and “The Calhoun Surf,” an Amis original instrumental that has become a neo-surf classic.
After the Overtones disbanded in the summer of 1980, Amis spent approximately two years with the Raybeats.

Shortly after the show [Nashville Now on TNN] was cancelled, he left TNN to get back into music full-time, hooking up with Eddie Angel, Jimmy Lester and E. Scott Esbeck to form Los Straitjackets. In 1995, Los Straitjackets issued their debut album, The Utterly Fantastic and Totally Unbelievable Sound of Los Straitjackets, to rave reviews, respectable sales and loads of fanfare. They found themselves media darlings, donning their wrestling masks on Late Night with Conan O’Brien, among other outlets. It was a far cry from the hand-to-mouth existence Amis had eked out with the Raybeats a decade and a half earlier.

Last edited:

Top Bottom