Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 98
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Duly noted. Since sharing common sense as insight is now defended, let me advise all that wearing a jacket in winter will help keep you warmer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan


  2. #77

    Default

    Charlie Strong: Louisville to Texas

  3. #78

    Default Anyone in favor of extending Fleck and making him one of the highest

    I have said it before, Fleck leaves for another “helmet school” and he becomes just another coach in that schools history. He stays here and brings this program to true relevance, he becomes a legend. He will stay, we will win, he will become a legend. Lock him up now!

    Fleck is an under dogg, has been his whole life. He is the perfect coach for this program. His mission is to get the Gophs back to the glory years of winning national titles and Big Ten Championships. Is he perfect? No. But he is a gamer and never gives up, he is the type of guy that scratches and claws getting every ounce of effort out of his players on the field and he recruits 24/7.

    I do get the wait and see, he hasn’t proven anything yet comments. But if you look at what he is building you can’t deny it is different than anything we have seen here before. Year 3 and being 5-0 is nice, but I think year 4, 5, & 6 will be lights out and we will really see the program turn the corner.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjgopher19 View Post
    I have said it before, Fleck leaves for another “helmet school” and he becomes just another coach in that schools history. He stays here and brings this program to true relevance, he becomes a legend. He will stay, we will win, he will become a legend. Lock him up now!

    Fleck is an under dogg, has been his whole life. He is the perfect coach for this program. His mission is to get the Gophs back to the glory years of winning national titles and Big Ten Championships. Is he perfect? No. But he is a gamer and never gives up, he is the type of guy that scratches and claws getting every ounce of effort out of his players on the field and he recruits 24/7.

    I do get the wait and see, he hasn’t proven anything yet comments. But if you look at what he is building you can’t deny it is different than anything we have seen here before. Year 3 and being 5-0 is nice, but I think year 4, 5, & 6 will be lights out and we will really see the program turn the corner.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If he relishes the under dog role, why did he leave his previous job when he was pushing toward the goal of making the team relevant on a national level?

    He took a step up to come to Minn, he will take the next step if offered.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The wrong place
    Posts
    2,268
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescooter View Post
    Look at this transaction like buying stocks. Do your research, enter in at lower levels and buy and hold before the hype. Once the news is out, it's too late.
    I always buy my socks before the hype starts. People are like, "Slouched argyle is the next big thing!" and I'm like, "I already cornered the market, see." So they have to either buy from me or settle for plain white ankle socks.
    I’m a light eater. As soon as it’s light, I start to eat. And I'm on a seefood diet. If I can see food, I'll eat it.

  6. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Posting this garbage nonsense once wasn't enough? You had to post it again?

    Comparing the University of Minnesota to Western Michigan University? AND comparing Minneapolis to Kalamazoo? Seriously?
    He left a successful mid major program he built as soon as he had a chance to do it at a higher level. This may blow your mind dpodork... but we are a perennial P5 bottom feeder. Plenty of programs with more money to throw at football than the U. He will leave us for a helmet school, His ego craves it.

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    OK. Let's put this in perspective. This, to the best of my knowledge, is the current status of Fleck's contract, which runs through 2023. His original deal from 2017 was 5 years, $18 million total. He signed a 1-year extension in 2018. that takes us up to the present. (per the Strib)

    BASE SALARIES PER SEASON
    2019: $3.6 million
    2020: $ 3.65 million
    2021: $3.7 million
    2022: $3.75 million
    2023: $3.8 million

    BUYOUTS
    If he’s fired: Amount owed to Fleck if the Gophers fire him ...
    on Jan. 1, 2020: $9M
    on Jan. 1, 2021: $5.5M
    on Jan. 1, 2022: $3M
    on Jan. 1, 2023: $1.5M

    If he leaves for another job: Amount Fleck owes the Gophers if he leaves ...
    before 2020 season: $4M
    before 2021 season: $3M
    before 2022 season: $2M
    before 2023 season: $1M
    Note: Buyouts are prorated, if termination occurs midyear.
    We should get another one-year extension in place now where the salary is increased along with the buyout levels. Do it now versus waiting until the end of the year when the annual "who's going to be our next coach now that we fired our last loser" frenzy starts.

  8. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loaded_Brewer View Post
    If he relishes the under dog role, why did he leave his previous job when he was pushing toward the goal of making the team relevant on a national level?

    He took a step up to come to Minn, he will take the next step if offered.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Maybe. And maybe MN will no longer be an underdog? Maybe he can make us nationally relevant in 5 years. Western Michigan's absolute cap is building a program like Boise. And Fleck got them there in 4.

    some will tell you our cap is West titles, but it isn't.

  9. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurfGopher View Post
    He left a successful mid major program he built as soon as he had a chance to do it at a higher level. This may blow your mind dpodork... but we are a perennial P5 bottom feeder. Plenty of programs with more money to throw at football than the U. He will leave us for a helmet school, His ego craves it.
    His goal wasn't mid major. It might not be Minnesota. It might be helmet school or the NFL. There is a lot to like about the Twin Cities though. There's a reason Mason never left. Part of why I like the long slow build route is because once those roots take hold here, it's hard to leave. Old Lou got out just in time.

  10. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    There's a reason Mason never left.

    Yeah...Ohio State wouldn't hire him....

  11. #86

    Default

    How our standards have fallen...

    Win a few more axe games, regularly beat top-25 teams, and win at least one west title and then we can talk. I don’t want our future to be based on a great year with a weak schedule.

  12. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Yeah...Ohio State wouldn't hire him....
    I mean physically move. He can live anywhere.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,993

    Default

    Bottom line - as long as Coyle is the AD, I think Fleck will be the FB Coach.

    My bet is that they do a one-year "extension" every year, so Fleck always has at least 5 years on his contract. It will be the equivalent of an annual 1-year rollover.

    if another school does come sniffing around, and Coyle gets wind of it, he'll give Fleck a salary bump to keep him at MN.

    (we could do the debate over whether a coach needs a 5-year deal to recruit effectively, but that would be another topic for another thread.)

  14. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Bottom line - as long as Coyle is the AD, I think Fleck will be the FB Coach.

    My bet is that they do a one-year "extension" every year, so Fleck always has at least 5 years on his contract. It will be the equivalent of an annual 1-year rollover.

    if another school does come sniffing around, and Coyle gets wind of it, he'll give Fleck a salary bump to keep him at MN.

    (we could do the debate over whether a coach needs a 5-year deal to recruit effectively, but that would be another topic for another thread.)
    I believe this is the way to go.
    Hasn't MC done this exact same thing with Richard?

  15. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GFBfan View Post
    I believe this is the way to go.
    Hasn't MC done this exact same thing with Richard?
    Richard isn't exactly in demand.

    This isn't the way to go with Fleck. Give him a long term deal. Lock him up. Help him recruit. Show committment. Help him retain assistants.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •