Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 98
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,244
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurfGopher View Post
    Assuming he can rack up a 10 win season here, he gone. I'm sure he will spurn a huge offer from the U to go to a bigger media market. Obviously PJ loves the spotlight and there are much brighter lights elsewhere. All we can do is say thanks for the ride, its been really fun so far.
    Hard to find in college football as far as helmet schools go. Larger fan bases, more program interest, higher coach salary....yes; however, media market....not so much.


  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,244
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OddStack View Post
    Hard to find in college football as far as helmet schools go. Larger fan bases, more program interest, higher coach salary....yes; however, media market....not so much.
    4ish in the current top 25 are larger media markets than MSP.

    Michigan (near Detroit)
    ASU
    SMU

    half....Georgia 50ish min. outside Atlanta
    (USC helmet school; UCLA could be considered one....both not ranked)
    https://newsgeneration.com/broadcast...radio-markets/

  3. #33

    Default

    We beat Wisconsin once in the last 2000 years, we beat a bad Georgia state team in a exhibition game and we are 5-0 against weak competition, all positive. November will say a lot about the real PJ Fleck and if he is a "coach". If we can get to the BIG championship, maybe win it or go to a decent Jan 1 bowl, then we can talk a light extension. Win next year then we can talk more seriously about it. It might not matter what money is offered or how the contract may play out, it might be Fleck is looking for a bigger job.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherDog1 View Post
    Yep. Pay the man.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

    Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurfGopher View Post
    Assuming he can rack up a 10 win season here, he gone. I'm sure he will spurn a huge offer from the U to go to a bigger media market. Obviously PJ loves the spotlight and there are much brighter lights elsewhere. All we can do is say thanks for the ride, its been really fun so far.
    Or maybe, just maybe the U isn't a stepping stone job and he will realize he can compete for championships at a place that has embraced his row the boat culture and will back him along the way. We are not a MAC school where their coaches get poached all the time. Time to let go of the Lou Holtz drama and stop assuming that our coach is going to abandon us the moment he has some success.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post

  7. #37

    Default

    Sort of Risk Reward, Let's say that 90% of the likely outcomes this year lie between 7-5 and 10-2. If you wait and the season goes towards the south end of that, probably save some money,but if we get to 10 wins this year and have to sign after that, it's going to cost a lot more.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    1,791

    Default

    If Fleck wins the B1G West, the first thing Coyle should do is offer him an extension and raise. Fleck needs to know the U will take care of him for being successful. More money for coordinators and coaches should be part of it.
    “If you can eat a Dilly Bar in the snow, you can play football in the snow.” -- Something Dilly Bar Dan might say.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    Or maybe, just maybe the U isn't a stepping stone job and he will realize he can compete for championships at a place that has embraced his row the boat culture and will back him along the way. We are not a MAC school where their coaches get poached all the time. Time to let go of the Lou Holtz drama and stop assuming that our coach is going to abandon us the moment he has some success.
    This is kind of where I am at too. Not saying PJ wouldn't leave for a "better" opportunity but the fact is there just aren't that many college football jobs better than a head football coach in the Big 10.

    Someone smarter than me can figure this out, but how many P5 coaches have left directly to another P5 job. I can only think of Franklin going from Vanderbilt to Penn State. I am sure there are others but can't think of them...

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescooter View Post
    This is an area I can add something to, since I have experience.

    You need to strike before interest heats up and you find yourself in negotiations that include several other Helmet Schools. It's more efficient at this point and the bidding for his talents are minimal right now (middle of season and still mostly under the radar). Coyle has some goal and objectives that have needed to be reached by now ... and in most circumstances those have been met and exceeded (see APR). The relationship between Fleck and Coyle is good at this point, but you wait and suddenly other schools get in the mix (all making promises, throwing dollars, and overall sweetening the pot).

    Shut everyone down before other schools come calling.

    Look at this transaction like buying stocks. Do your research, enter in at lower levels and buy and hold before the hype. Once the news is out, it's too late.
    Yeah, no. Prove it season for Fleck. He is paid handsomely for the results thus far. I've said since before last season that this would be the year for him to get 9+ wins and then Coyle will back up the brinks truck. There are very few "helmet" schools who target Fleck. Said last year I thought the only high profile schools that would have interest might be USC and UCLA.

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldteam View Post
    paid coaches in the big 10?
    Yes. Lock him up now!

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNfootballfan View Post
    This is kind of where I am at too. Not saying PJ wouldn't leave for a "better" opportunity but the fact is there just aren't that many college football jobs better than a head football coach in the Big 10.

    Someone smarter than me can figure this out, but how many P5 coaches have left directly to another P5 job. I can only think of Franklin going from Vanderbilt to Penn State. I am sure there are others but can't think of them...
    Jimbo Fisher FL St > TAMU
    Willie Taggert OR > FL St

    The two that come to mind.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

    Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescooter View Post
    This is an area I can add something to, since I have experience.

    You need to strike before interest heats up and you find yourself in negotiations that include several other Helmet Schools. It's more efficient at this point and the bidding for his talents are minimal right now (middle of season and still mostly under the radar). Coyle has some goal and objectives that have needed to be reached by now ... and in most circumstances those have been met and exceeded (see APR). The relationship between Fleck and Coyle is good at this point, but you wait and suddenly other schools get in the mix (all making promises, throwing dollars, and overall sweetening the pot).

    Shut everyone down before other schools come calling.

    Look at this transaction like buying stocks. Do your research, enter in at lower levels and buy and hold before the hype. Once the news is out, it's too late.
    Totally agree. Now's the time, with a large buyout that keeps him from jumping.

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post
    Jimbo Fisher FL St > TAMU
    Willie Taggert OR > FL St

    The two that come to mind.
    Dan Mullen went to Florida from Mississippi State too.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,244
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    Dan Mullen went to Florida from Mississippi State too.
    Saban
    Bielema
    Mason
    Kiffin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •