do we have a thread about the trophy we are playing for this saturday?

As far as I know, the whereabouts of the original chair are unknown and neither school's administration has any interest in reviving the tradition -- and in fact, they seem to have taken steps to effectively bury it. For now, we're left with an unofficial replica that's being used to raise money for charity and bring a smile to the faces of fans who had quickly embraced a tradition that was born organically in their lifetimes. Instead of letting it grow, you got faceless upper management types stomping it out in the hopes that some corporation would step forward one day to sponsor a generic, contrived rivalry trophy for the MN-Neb series. Such is life in the 21st century.

Broken chair is such a fantastic rivalry trophy! Hope it can keep going!

Best trophy in college football. Precisely because the admins don’t like it. And because it’s cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish the broken chair trophy were real and on the line Saturday. We have played this team Nebraska almost as many times as say Michigan who we still have little brown jug with and barely play anymore. Would rather they retire the Victory bell trophy with Penn State. I know not a lot of Nebraska and Gopher fans care about the broken chair but I thought was cool because fans started it instead some made up governors trophy. Doesn't seeem like Gophers and Husker players like each other much and play a tough physical game against each other which builds rivalry and respect. I know this I get pretty psyched when the Gophers play Nebraska, because wish we kind of had home field advantage like they have. Go Gophers, Win the chair even if it is an imaginary trophy only!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Wish the broken chair trophy were real and on the line Saturday.

Nonsense--it absolutely is real! They can pretend to not remember it, but those pictures of Goldy taking it to the basketball game aren't going anywhere. I'm optimistic that once the Pellini connection stings a bit less for the Huskers the schools will eventually come around and embrace the best new trophy in a long, long time.

Goldy was one of the pivotal pieces to the creation of it on twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonsense--it absolutely is real! They can pretend to not remember it, but those pictures of Goldy taking it to the basketball game aren't going anywhere. I'm optimistic that once the Pellini connection stings a bit less for the Huskers the schools will eventually come around and embrace the best new trophy in a long, long time.

I agree, give it some time. It started in 2014 and was resurrected very recently. My guess is once the schools take note of the good its doing it will become established.

Top Bottom