Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 82

Thread: NBA and China

  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Pop and Kerr are looking out for their bottom line? Is that why they rip Trump constantly?
    Whatís that slithering sound we all hear? Donít worry folks, itís just Section2! Maybe they figure it wonít hurt them a bit and canít stand the guy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    The NBA can choose to support totalitarian communism over Americans and liberty. I saw someone with a sign at the sizers game get escorted out. I just hope Americans vote with their wallet. We will see who they choose.
    A sign? At a sizers game? Sounds horrible. Great point though. Totally in line with your supposed principles.


  2. #17

    Default

    I don't care what the NBA does and I doubt S2 does either. I think he is pointing out the incredible hypocrisy of the NBA who gets all riled up about Trump and about social justice while they bow down to China the country that is one of the greatest abusers of human rights, one of the greatest polluters and one of the most restrictive of personal freedom. If Trump were doing any of the things China does, the uproar would be incredible. I hope the NBA pays the penalty with US fans for their cowardice and hypocrisy, but they have every right to do it to protect their Chinese cash.

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    I don't care what the NBA does and I doubt S2 does either. I think he is pointing out the incredible hypocrisy of the NBA who gets all riled up about Trump and about social justice while they bow down to China the country that is one of the greatest abusers of human rights, one of the greatest polluters and one of the most restrictive of personal freedom. If Trump were doing any of the things China does, the uproar would be incredible. I hope the NBA pays the penalty with US fans for their cowardice and hypocrisy, but they have every right to do it to protect their Chinese cash.
    Hypocrisy on both sides it would appear. Pretty sure conservatives spent the last decade complaining about politics in sports. Well here we are, NBA doesn't want to get political. Y'all got what you wanted! I believe the exact words were "Shut up and dribble."
    Last edited by WiddleWatkins; 10-10-2019 at 07:38 AM.

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WiddleWatkins View Post
    Hypocrisy on both sides it would appear. Pretty sure conservatives spent the last decade complaining about politics in sports. Well here we are, NBA doesn't want to get political. Y'all got what you wanted! I believe the exact words were "Shut up and dribble."
    LOL. I see, you want the athletes to speak in favor of China but not America. Got it. I guess we know who you are.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    LOL. I see, you want the athletes to speak in favor of China but not America. Got it. I guess we know who you are.
    You're putting words in my mouth (which appears to be a common strategy around here). I didn't say that at all. In fact I would like it if the NBA took a stronger free speech position with China. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the conservatives who are all upset at people they've repeatedly told to stay out of politics for not getting involved in politics. It's pretty funny actually. In short: China-bad. Right Wingers angry- funny

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry View Post
    Right! We have college basketball, China can have the NBA.
    Do we? It's hard to tell lately.

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WiddleWatkins View Post
    You're putting words in my mouth (which appears to be a common strategy around here). I didn't say that at all. In fact I would like it if the NBA took a stronger free speech position with China. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the conservatives who are all upset at people they've repeatedly told to stay out of politics for not getting involved in politics. It's pretty funny actually. In short: China-bad. Right Wingers angry- funny
    LOL on the bolded! You are really taking a stand!

    The league sets the tone for political expression. They use their sport as a platform for their politics when it doesn't hurt their pocketbook. But when China does far, far worse than anyone here in America they are complaining about, but has big contracts with the NBA- they are told to shut up and dribble, by their own league. Yes- China bad. People on the right are sick of this going one way and the league being behind it. Conservatives don't boycott like the left does, it's not the nature of conservatives- we play nice. It's time that changes.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    12,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WiddleWatkins View Post
    You're putting words in my mouth (which appears to be a common strategy around here). I didn't say that at all. In fact I would like it if the NBA took a stronger free speech position with China. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the conservatives who are all upset at people they've repeatedly told to stay out of politics for not getting involved in politics. It's pretty funny actually. In short: China-bad. Right Wingers angry- funny
    This is pretty spot on.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

  9. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WiddleWatkins View Post
    Hypocrisy on both sides it would appear. Pretty sure conservatives spent the last decade complaining about politics in sports. Well here we are, NBA doesn't want to get political. Y'all got what you wanted! I believe the exact words were "Shut up and dribble."
    Itís not hypocrisy to not want athletes to use their platform to express a divisive or ďwokeĒ political opinion while representing the team or sport that we fund through our attendance or viewership.

    They can do whatever they want on their time, but when theyíre representing a team or pro sports, they should shut up about divisive political issues.

    Whether they are representing a team or sport or themselves, itís always appropriate to support the American values of freedom and liberty. To ignore the abuses of China solely b/c they are profiting from that totalitarian Communist state, is anti-American and cowardly, but especially cowardly when they have so little issue publicly disparaging Americans of opposing political beliefs.

    Got it?

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    It’s not hypocrisy to not want athletes to use their platform to express a divisive or “woke” political opinion while representing the team or sport that we fund through our attendance or viewership.

    They can do whatever they want on their time, but when they’re representing a team or pro sports, they should shut up about divisive political issues.

    Whether they are representing a team or sport or themselves, it’s always appropriate to support the American values of freedom and liberty. To ignore the abuses of China solely b/c they are profiting from that totalitarian Communist state, is anti-American and cowardly, but especially cowardly when they have so little issue publicly disparaging Americans of opposing political beliefs.

    Got it?
    In other words, it's ok to be outspoken about your beliefs, but it's not ok to be outspoken about beliefs in opposition to yours.

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    In other words, it's ok to be outspoken about your beliefs, but it's not ok to be outspoken about beliefs in opposition to yours.
    This would be correct.

  12. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WiddleWatkins View Post
    Hypocrisy on both sides it would appear. Pretty sure conservatives spent the last decade complaining about politics in sports. Well here we are, NBA doesn't want to get political. Y'all got what you wanted! I believe the exact words were "Shut up and dribble."
    I guess if it's political to support democracy in Hong Kong, you are right. Only RWNJs care about that?

    Anyway, this seems like a bad move by China. Nobody would have even noticed the comments by this GM. I certainly wouldn't. Now everyone knows. And now everyone knows which companies in the US are suckling China's teat also. This whole issue just got a whole lot of daylight, which is good.

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    In other words, it's ok to be outspoken about your beliefs, but it's not ok to be outspoken about beliefs in opposition to yours.
    We found out which views in the US are totally acceptable, and which are blasphemous. Ripping the US and the president, perfect. Supporting a free and peaceful country against a totalitarian murderous regime? Blasphemous.

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    In other words, it's ok to be outspoken about your beliefs, but it's not ok to be outspoken about beliefs in opposition to yours.
    That appears to be the NBA standard for speech.

    So the NBA players believe China is a "good" nation that should be above criticism? Is that their belief? Asking for a little consistency here. If you are going after America- at least be fair and go after nations that are far worse.

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    We found out which views in the US are totally acceptable, and which are blasphemous. Ripping the US and the president, perfect. Supporting a free and peaceful country against a totalitarian murderous regime? Blasphemous.
    How about we just let people speak about what they want and stop complaining when we don't like what we hear? The GOP and democrats both are guilty, and it just needs to stop.

    Let Morey bash China. Let LeBron or whomever call Trump a chump. Let people kneel during the anthem.

    Don't people get tired of the BS. I know I do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •