Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PJ Fleck calls Nebraska matchup a 'one-game championship season'

per Dave:

A bad team receiving the chance to spoiler a great team’s season or hand them a loss is often referred to as the bad team’s “Super Bowl” in football. Minnesota head coach PJ Fleck used a similar cliché, calling his squad’s matchup with Nebraska a “one-game championship season” during his press conference Tuesday.

“This is a one game championship season against Nebraska,” Fleck said. “All of our focus is going into Nebraska. That’s the only thing we’re focused on. Our players truly do that.”

Ironically, though, Minnesota comes into this matchup with a superior record — 5-0 versus Nebraska’s 4-2. If the Golden Gophers beat Nebraska, it’s likely Minnesota could reach 8-0 prior to hosting Penn State on Nov. 9.

But that’s not on the Fleck’s mind — only Nebraska is.

https://saturdaytradition.com/minnes...onship-season/

Go Gophers!!

Sweet. Rather get them at their best. No excuses

corny way to think but oh so accurate

if we start looking a head things will bite us ion the present

focus 100% on this weeks championship Win 12 championships (well 13 or 14 or even 15) in a year and that will be a great season

Fleck refers to every game as a one game championship.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

If he loses to Nebraska, Minnesota is all but eliminated in the B1G West, so he's not wrong.
    The Gophers can drop one game this year. Nebraska isn't where you want to spend that currency.

True, but I think the point is that the press is slow on the up-take on this one. Another example of top tier TC journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
    If he loses to Nebraska, Minnesota is all but eliminated in the B1G West, so he's not wrong.
    The Gophers can drop one game this year. Nebraska isn't where you want to spend that currency.
    Would not be at all shocked this year if the Big Ten West winner has two losses.

Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post
    Would not be at all shocked this year if the Big Ten West winner has two losses.
    Wisconsin is probably going to drop one game before we play them. If Minnesota loses to Big Red then they need to beat Wisconsin and one of Penn State or Iowa (and run the table through the rest of the schedule).
    That's a pretty tall order for a team that couldn't beat a struggling Nebraska at home.

Our odds of winning the division go from like 30% to 1% if we lose this week.
    Last edited by hello-world; 10-09-2019 at 03:47 PM.

It would be a disappointment to lose to Nebraska. We should whoop them.

Wisconsin is probably going to drop one game before we play them. If Minnesota loses to Big Red then they need to beat Wisconsin and one of Penn State or Iowa (and run the table through the rest of the schedule).
    That's a pretty tall order for a team that couldn't beat a struggling Nebraska team at home.
    You seem so certain we are going to lose to Nebraska. Mentioned it twice in two sentences. I guess for someone who is trying to argue the Gophers should be ranked 8-10th in the Big Ten right now, we should not be shocked.

I'll look forward to your heaping portion of crow for Sunday breakfast. Don't be shy.

You seem so certain we are going to lose to Nebraska. Mentioned it twice in two sentences. I guess for someone who is trying to argue the Gophers should be ranked 8-10th in the Big Ten right now, we should not be shocked.

I'll look forward to your heaping portion of crow for Sunday breakfast. Don't be shy.
    I have Minnesota ATS up to -8.8. I think this should be a two score game in Minnesota's favor. But if the Gophers don't execute this week then they are out of the West division race.
    That's not a controversial statement.
    Last edited by hello-world; 10-09-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Using eating crow seems like a go-to thing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    Using eating crow seems like a go-to thing for you.
    This week it is. Thanks for noticing.

If Gophers lose to Nebraska and Penn State, and win other games they would still likely be B1G West champions with head to head wins over both Iowa and Wisconsin (presuming Nebraska doesn't end up tied as well).