Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Livingat45north View Post
    We talk a lot about the cold winters up north for the BIG, but contrast that with the summer heat in SEC land, 99 degrees and 99% humidity. Playing football in that kind of heat has gotta be hard.

Fields can have heating coils to warm up the playing surface when it's cold outside. I saw a track meeting on TV last week happening in an outdoor stadium in Qatar where the temps we're something like 110 outside of the stadium, but 78 at track level -- they were blasting cold air into the stadium to cool it down, and again, this is an outdoor stadium.
    Anything is possible if you're willing to spend unlimited money, like Qatar is. A tiny nation with nothing but sand ....... and oil. And they want to become some mecca for olympic athletes, for some reason, so yeah, they're willing to spend money that no one else is willing to spend.

Anyway, yes it is possible. NFL teams have that kind of money, and playing outside in Dec warrants it in a few locations.

Most universities don't want to spend that kind of money, and usually in Nov it isn't really needed.

Blog Entries

Just recruit Winnipeg. Problem solved.

Daughter is in Texas. Until the last few days, it's been in the 90s or higher every day for months. For large football players in full pads and often playing on even hotter turf, I can't imagine how hard that can be. Playing in the north's 40-70 degree college football season weather (with the occasional drop lower like this weekend) would seem ideal compared to that.

Blog Entries

It has been brutal in Houston this summer. We finally got some lows dipping into the 60's and highs should be stabilizing in the 80's instead of mid 90's every day. I have always thought that playing football in Minnesota for 2-3 cold games a year to get out of the southern heat would be far worth it.

August in the south with pads on seems terrible. I know Minnesotans think it gets hot in August in Minneapolis, but believe me, its refreshing compared to the added humidity we get down here in Houston. My point is playing a couple of cold football games is far better than the 50 practices you go through in the south in August and September. Sell that to the southern kids!

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    We just need to keep the recruits from seeing the knife-wielding polar bears.
    A person only gets to see them once! Then, it's all over.

You gotta play in the cold in the pros. Might as well come here to get used to it.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    We just need to keep the recruits from seeing the knife-wielding polar bears.
    This. And guns to keep wolves for attacking kids on the playground

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Grantland Rice wrote, "Eleven Nagurskis [on a team] ... would be something close to murder and massacre."

Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    MN is "dry" because when it snows, that's not counted as precipitation.
    You are insane.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Glad he turned it into a positive, but you do realize we lose recruits to schools outside of the B10 right?

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    You are insane.
    https://www.weather.gov/mpx/mspclimate

Separate counters for precip and snow.

Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    https://www.weather.gov/mpx/mspclimate

Separate counters for precip and snow.
    I believe the melted snowfall is added to the rainfall chart. If this isn’t the case, then during last January and February it both rained nearly 4” and snowed about 50”. Considering that on average, 13” of snow yields about 1” of water, that reflects about the same ratio as 4 to 50.

https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/...01/winter/faq/
    “If you can eat a Dilly Bar in the snow, you can play football in the snow.” -- Something Dilly Bar Dan might say.

This isn't much difference in the weather in Madison, Ann Arbor or East Lansing. It's not great in Iowa City or Lincoln, slightly better. The rest of the big ten schools experience below zero, snow and miserable weather as well at different points.

former recruit/decommit Drederick Snelson said "They play in the cold in the NFL too" as one the reasons why he (briefly) committed to the Gophers. It makes sense for people to the south want to come up and experience a different region/climate. Unfortunately its not the Fall semester that drives upper midwesterners loony, its the spring semester. Seasonal Affective Disorder is for real and nothing else gets that going quite like like Minnesota Murderers row of January, February, and March.

Quote Originally Posted by WAGopher View Post
    I believe the melted snowfall is added to the rainfall chart. If this isn’t the case, then during last January and February it both rained nearly 4” and snowed about 50”. Considering that on average, 13” of snow yields about 1” of water, that reflects about the same ratio as 4 to 50.

https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/...01/winter/faq/
    Thanks. You are correct and I was wrong.

I found this link as well, essentially asking the same question: https://www.chicagotribune.com/weath...12-column.html

The Georgia pipeline certainly is not prone to freezing...
    Row The Boat & Ski U Mah!

In Fleck We Trust!