Bad Weather Games

Gold Rush

Reaction score
As we continue to try to move to the next level, one thing that we can use to our advantage is to really own these bad weather games. Our weather really isn't that much different from Madison or Chicago (I think the average game time temperature is about a 4-5 degree difference) but the perception is there and it would be nice to use that to our advantage. I thought the Purdue game of last year was a classic example of one team coming in appearing to be unaffected by it (Minnesota) and one team just wanting to get back to the sidelines (Purdue) Purdue looked like they didn't want to be there and they just wanted the game to end. Excellent job of using the weather to their advantage by both the coaching staff and players.

I think it's important to come out right away and really hit them hard. I think you make them want to get on the sidelines and put on blankets and coats and sit in front of the heaters. Bud Grant used to use these tactics to his advantage back in the Met Stadium days and I think PJ Fleck recognizes this edge as well. This Nebraska game should be a pretty foul day and any extra edge should be well appreciated. I thought QB Tanner Morgan in particular last year seemed to be unaffected by the cold vs. Purdue and that is just what we need this time too. Hopefully the team is looking forward to this weekend and saying, "Good, this is OUR kind of weather" and Nebraska is saying, "Oh no it's going to be a mix of rain and snow - this weather is going to suck bigtime."

If that's the case - the Huskers are coming up to bat with two strikes against them. Let's do this!!

Certainly there was an I-O-W-A evening game...pretty sure it was the late November game under Coach Horton in 2010...where Floyd came back home in large part because the other team did not want to be there.

The Dilly Bar Dan game against tOSU is another example...although I think it was both the Gophers tough play as well as the snow flying that had Urban ready to head back to the comfort of Columbus.

So I agree the Gophers need to embrace the elements and come out strong. Nebbie is pretty fragile mentally...and BTW it would help if we get a good and loud home crowd for a 12th man advantage.

As we continue to try to move to the next level, one thing that we can use to our advantage is to really own these bad weather games. Our weather really isn't that much different from Madison or Chicago (I think the average game time temperature is about a 4-5 degree difference) but the perception is there and it would be nice to use that to our advantage. I thought the Purdue game of last year was a classic example of one team coming in appearing to be unaffected by it (Minnesota) and one team just wanting to get back to the sidelines (Purdue) Purdue looked like they didn't want to be there and they just wanted the game to end. Excellent job of using the weather to their advantage by both the coaching staff and players.

I think it's important to come out right away and really hit them hard. I think you make them want to get on the sidelines and put on blankets and coats and sit in front of the heaters. Bud Grant used to use these tactics to his advantage back in the Met Stadium days and I think PJ Fleck recognizes this edge as well. This Nebraska game should be a pretty foul day and any extra edge should be well appreciated. I thought QB Tanner Morgan in particular last year seemed to be unaffected by the cold vs. Purdue and that is just what we need this time too. Hopefully the team is looking forward to this weekend and saying, "Good, this is OUR kind of weather" and Nebraska is saying, "Oh no it's going to be a mix of rain and snow - this weather is going to suck bigtime."

If that's the case - the Huskers are coming up to bat with two strikes against them. Let's do this!!

Nebraska beat Mich St last year in -5 degree windchill. 38 and crap weather isnt going to be as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Whoever shows up able to run the ball will win.

PJ and other B1G coach's have straight up said at press conferences that with Nebraska ... if you hit them hard early you can beat them.

That's more about Neb than the weather, but it's a thing.

Having said that I really don't think weather is a real factor as the narrative goes with "Team A is better in the cold because they're used to it."

Prime athletes will perform regardless.

But the weather is a fun story line.

Some of the most fun games I've had as a fan have been in the cold, rain and snow. Why? Because it is the die-hards that stick it out and everyone has this attitude of "we're in it together". I can't wait for this weekend.

Some of the most fun games I've had as a fan have been in the cold, rain and snow. Why? Because it is the die-hards that stick it out and everyone has this attitude of "we're in it together". I can't wait for this weekend.

Agree 100%. Can't wait!

This is so true. The 2014 loss to Ohio State in the snow is in my top 5 Gopher game day experiences for level of fun and stadium atmosphere and it was a loss! Really enjoyed two bad weather games last year with the wins over Purdue and Indiana.

My wife frets about bad weather every time and announces she "might not be able to last" and then ends up also saying every time after the game that she had a great time and it wasn't so bad after all, thanks to dressing correctly. She is already complaining about this upcoming Saturday. I guarantee she will be again surprised how much fun it was, when it is over. Rinse, repeat.

I don't feel cold weather is an advantage for B1G games. Now, if Gophs could get a southeast or southwest P5 team to play up here mid to late November, I would say it could be.

San Jose State game comes to mind...was a crowd of less than 1,000 down in the student section when the game resumed. Small but mighty.

I don't feel cold weather is an advantage for B1G games. Now, if Gophs could get a southeast or southwest P5 team to play up here mid to late November, I would say it could be.

I think that this is generally true, but were you at the Purdue game last year? The weather certainly seemed to be an advantage for the Gophers in that game.

Nebraska beat Mich St last year in -5 degree windchill. 38 and crap weather isnt going to be as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Whoever shows up able to run the ball will win.

The difference was Nebraska was still having fun. You have to hit them hard early and if they aren't having fun, they will get pretty miserable.
You are right though - that running game will be key, especially if it is windy too. The Gophers will have to fight hard the entire game if they want to have a chance to win.

Top Bottom