impressions from practice (loyalty perk)

So, what was your super secret discovery on how to effectively practice free throws? One and ones or line drills absolutely creates pressure....it also gets your marginal players taped into a locker ha
Two at a time, develop a routine, (one bounce always, deep breath etc whatever your thing is) no shooter talking while they launch as they are shooting because it's not game like during the release...etc

Random free throws during 5 on 5 can be good with time and score situations. One person shooting and 14 people watching for a team total percentage with consequences is good but it takes 10 minutes for 15 guys to shoot and they each took two shots. Can't do that too often early in the season.

Your solution or discoveries?

Agree most everyone can shoot 65% in practice...same thing on 3's...percentage way higher with no defender and multiple shots same location.

Not a super secret or necessarily been proven over a long tenure, but we used to not ever really practice more than 10 at a time. We always kept track and had something on the line. Never shoot more than 2 at a time. Integrated in after drills that required aerobic effort. Would also do 1 on 1s. Run two down and backs if you miss front end, run one if you miss the 2nd. Would also do team ones as well. Fact is, it seems like their is a mental toughness factor that goes into it that is hard to teach or read. One of my highest percentage free throw shooters (mid 80s) I coached had a god awful FG%. Had 45% 3 pt shooters shoot 60% from the stripe. Should also add that we would have kids shoot free throws in large clumps on their own as well for muscle memory

Not a super secret or necessarily been proven over a long tenure, but we used to not ever really practice more than 10 at a time. We always kept track and had something on the line. Never shoot more than 2 at a time. Integrated in after drills that required aerobic effort. Would also do 1 on 1s. Run two down and backs if you miss front end, run one if you miss the 2nd. Would also do team ones as well. Fact is, it seems like their is a mental toughness factor that goes into it that is hard to teach or read. One of my highest percentage free throw shooters (mid 80s) I coached had a god awful FG%. Had 45% 3 pt shooters shoot 60% from the stripe.

Yup, it's exasperating. ha Some things work with some kids, others with others....by the time you figure it out something changes. Yes, when tired, no more than 10 at a time, 2 at a time, accountable and with consequences is a staple.

Absolutely, it is mental toughness. Having a routine helps considerably. Visualization and focus are paramount. Some kids in games you knew they were going to miss before they shot by their body language or approach. Unfortunately, you can't take a timeout each time you see it but it certainly is a teaching point you can talk about over time. Video comparison helpful.

Hard part is when your emphasis is to GET to the free throw line (easiest place to score, get the best defenders and/or offensive opponent players in foul trouble) and you got somebody too scared to shoot free throws so they are not aggressive offensively. Lot goes on with free throws. Think Wisconsin's Happ last year...whole game strategy... both sides. Lot more subtle things going on often only the coach knows. I have had kids intentionally foul themselves out of games so they wouldn't face any more pressure to score. Not fun discussions...pretty delicate...you gotta be right in your evaluation, or you lost that kid for all time.

So, what was your super secret discovery on how to effectively practice free throws? One and ones or line drills absolutely creates pressure....it also gets your marginal players taped into a locker ha
Two at a time, develop a routine, (one bounce always, deep breath etc whatever your thing is) no shooter talking while they launch as they are shooting because it's not game like during the release...etc

Random free throws during 5 on 5 can be good with time and score situations. One person shooting and 14 people watching for a team total percentage with consequences is good but it takes 10 minutes for 15 guys to shoot and they each took two shots. Can't do that too often early in the season.

Your solution or discoveries?

Agree most everyone can shoot 65% in practice...same thing on 3's...percentage way higher with no defender and multiple shots same location.

When I was in HS, our coach taped all of our practices and broke down the tape of practice like they were games (3 PT%, FT%, TO, everything). It was actually pretty cutting edge considering this was almost 20 years ago.

I don't remember any of it with any granularity, but this seems about right. To a person, everyone shot a considerably higher percentage from 3 and the FT line.

Interesting tidbit-all the players wear heart rate monitors during practice and data is collected on a connected iPad and shared with players and staff.

When I was in HS, our coach taped all of our practices and broke down the tape of practice like they were games (3 PT%, FT%, TO, everything). It was actually pretty cutting edge considering this was almost 20 years ago.

I don't remember any of it with any granularity, but this seems about right. To a person, everyone shot a considerably higher percentage from 3 and the FT line.

Taping practices and breaking down stats from them is awesome! Very cool! People almost had to work harder, concentrate, focus better etc Coach has more input to make decisions, plan strategy, self scout etc Never had the personnel to do that. I was always happy when I actually got the game video without umm coach....

Interesting tidbit-all the players wear heart rate monitors during practice and data is collected on a connected iPad and shared with players and staff.

Ya, Gopher football has been doing that for years. Wasn't aware basketball was....thanks for that.

Yup, it's exasperating. ha Some things work with some kids, others with others....by the time you figure it out something changes. Yes, when tired, no more than 10 at a time, 2 at a time, accountable and with consequences is a staple.

Absolutely, it is mental toughness. Having a routine helps considerably. Visualization and focus are paramount. Some kids in games you knew they were going to miss before they shot by their body language or approach. Unfortunately, you can't take a timeout each time you see it but it certainly is a teaching point you can talk about over time. Video comparison helpful.

Hard part is when your emphasis is to GET to the free throw line (easiest place to score, get the best defenders and/or offensive opponent players in foul trouble) and you got somebody too scared to shoot free throws so they are not aggressive offensively. Lot goes on with free throws. Think Wisconsin's Happ last year...whole game strategy... both sides. Lot more subtle things going on often only the coach knows. I have had kids intentionally foul themselves out of games so they wouldn't face any more pressure to score. Not fun discussions...pretty delicate...you gotta be right in your evaluation, or you lost that kid for all time.

So true, way more “complicated” than it really should be on all aspects. Does make the coach valuable at least however.

Ya, real cutting edge.... nobody ever videoed practices before the year 2000..... lol..

Have to hand it to your coach, that took some extra work that many may are not willing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

best coaching move I remember was coach making us shoot FTs at completely random times during practice. Really helped with shooting them in games.

We should be spending zero time on shooting free throws in team practice. That’s absolutely on the individual or for one on ones.

We should be spending zero time on shooting free throws in team practice. That’s absolutely on the individual or for one on ones.
Glad you aren't our coach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I always believed that if it was an important part of the game, it should be done in practice. Never spent more than 10 minutes on free throws in a practice and with all skills should be honed outside of practice of course.

I could see Freeman/Omersa at the 5 and Oturu at the 4 for parts of games in wake of the Curry injury. Oturu is at least as good of a shooter as Murphy.

I think Ihnen is going to get the biggest boost in playing time with Curry out. He can play the stretch 4 spot more effectively than Hurt and Omersa and be a real threat on offense. Oturu underneath with four on the perimeter could create some real matchup problems for the defense.

With Pitino moving to a 4 out, one in, motion offense a guy who can't step out and hit a three point shot will spend more time on the bench. I can only dream we take on the personale of a Beilein coached Michigan team.

With Pitino moving to a 4 out, one in, motion offense a guy who can't step out and hit a three point shot will spend more time on the bench. I can only dream we take on the personale of a Beilein coached Michigan team.

Yes please

bump
initial impressions vs current impressions - how did the GHer's do?

Top Bottom