Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    If Curry is out for another full season, then finally gets healthy, and then chooses to max out his eligibility, he seems like a clear case for being given a 6th year. His case certainly would be stronger than Davonte Fitzzgerald's, who was granted a 6th year after his transfer (from Texas A&M) & more injury problems with the Gophers.

    Curry
    2016-17 Played
    2017-18 Injury redshirt
    2018-19 Played briefly, then got hurt again
    2019-20 Injury redshirt?

    That looks like a guy who should get to play in both 2020-21 and 2021-22, if he so chooses.
    Correct.

    You can apply for what is called a “Hardship Waiver”, in certain cases. That extends your eligibility clock from five calendar years to six.

    So he’d have six calendar years to participate in four seasons (and he has participated in two seasons already).


    Another aspect to think about is, in six years he could EASILY have a masters degree completely paid for and finished. That would be pretty nice.
    Last edited by MnplsGopher; 10-10-2019 at 10:42 AM.


  2. #32

    Default

    Feel really bad for the kid.

    I think though, what is best for him would be to just hang it up. His knees just can't take it. Not worth having to hobble around everywhere you go from age 30-on.

    Too bad, he had such a high ceiling after his freshman year.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    How many surgeries/rehabs has Shannon Brooks done? He's back, and playing again this year.

    Just saying, if you're willing to do it, it can be done.
    Brooks is only on his 5th year, a little different, but he's had few injuries over the years

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salzie View Post
    Brooks is only on his 5th year, a little different, but he's had few injuries over the years
    I was merely pointing out an example of someone who had gone through multiple major knee injuries needing surgery and still decided to come back to play.

  5. #35

    Default

    Unfortunately this pretty much closes the book on him.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    I was merely pointing out an example of someone who had gone through multiple major knee injuries needing surgery and still decided to come back to play.
    Curry himself has gone through multiple injuries and decided to come back and play. Let’s not assume that he needs any role model. It is just a matter if we wants to go through it a third time or not. No one could blame him, we all feel for his misfortune and will support what ever he decides.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    36,676
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Jeff Goodman says he hears he did indeed blow out the ACL in the other knee. Man that sucks.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Jeff Goodman says he hears he did indeed blow out the ACL in the other knee. Man that sucks.
    Man I feel so bad for the kid. To essentially have your career completely taken away for reasons that are out of your control before it even got started is just terrible.

    Assuming he can get somewhat healthy I hope he can at least make back into the court no matter how limited he becomes

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Former Goofer View Post
    Man I feel so bad for the kid. To essentially have your career completely taken away for reasons that are out of your control before it even got started is just terrible.

    Assuming he can get somewhat healthy I hope he can at least make back into the court no matter how limited he becomes
    Curry had already lost explosiveness because of the previous injury and it is very hard to envision him returning next year/post-graduation. Not impossible, but seems highly unlikely.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    36,676
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    A question: If he gets a 6th year, do we get 14 scholarships that year? If not, isn't he our only current junior? (I forget which class Willis is in).

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    A question: If he gets a 6th year, do we get 14 scholarships that year? If not, isn't he our only current junior? (I forget which class Willis is in).
    Not exactly sure what you’re asking, but getting a hardship waiver doesn’t grant the team an extra scholarship for a season. The cap is the cap.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    14,746

    Default

    Would love to see him play again, but Damian's prediction is possible if not likely. With how rocky his recovery from the first injury was, no telling how physically capable he'll be when all is said and done. Great kid, and if he's another Jarvis Johnson with the program, he'll still contribute in big ways.


  13. #43

    Default

    Crap! Feel so bad for him. Robert Covington of the Timberwolves revealed recently how depressed he was over his injury last year and how tough it was not to be doing something he loved. I can't imagine how devastating it would be to go through it a second time. Good luck, Eric, whatever you decide to do.

  14. #44

    Default

    Not so fast, there's been some chatter with former teammates on Instagram that the injury isn't as bad as originally believed.

    His mother is pretty active on Twitter and from what it sounds like, there will be surgery but there's a chance he could play this season. Local media day is Friday, so we'll know more then. But apparently the second opinion must have come out with better results.

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NWMetroGopherFan View Post
    Not so fast, there's been some chatter with former teammates on Instagram that the injury isn't as bad as originally believed.

    His mother is pretty active on Twitter and from what it sounds like, there will be surgery but there's a chance he could play this season. Local media day is Friday, so we'll know more then. But apparently the second opinion must have come out with better results.
    Didn't someone confirm it was ACL? Was it maybe a partial tear?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •