Curry blows out knee again???

Sparlimb

Reaction score
The progress junior forward Eric Curry made toward being ready to play this season suffered a significant setback Monday with an injury to his right knee in practice, team sources told the Star Tribune.

Following two injury-plagued seasons, Curry was getting close to being fully recovered, Gophers coach Richard Pitino said last week. MRI test results Monday, though, revealed the injury to the opposite knee he hurt in 2017. He’s out indefinitely, per sources.

The 6-9, 240-pound Curry was expected to be a valuable backup at both power forward and center. The Gophers were cautious all summer, but Curry’s minutes were increasing with full contact since the first official practice in late September.

Last season, Curry played in 15 games, but he missed the first 12 games following arthroscopic surgery on his previously injured left knee. He also missed the final seven games to repair a torn ligament in his right foot. Curry’s original left-knee injury two years ago caused him to miss the 2017-18 season when he tore multiple ligaments and his meniscus.

At Big Ten Media Day last week, Pitino said Curry’s healthy return this season would help add experience to the frontcourt. The Gophers return sophomores Daniel Oturu and Jarvis Omersa and senior Michael Hurt. They also added senior Drexel transfer Alihan Demir to help replace All-Big Ten forward Jordan Murphy.

Curry averaged 5.5 points and 5.2 rebounds in 20 minutes for the Gophers’ NCAA tournament team as a freshman in 2016-17.

“Obviously, he’s dealt with a lot of injuries,” Pitino said at media day. “He’s been really, really important to our team from a depth standpoint … He knows how to play. You know, he’s a very, very good defender. He’s a very good passer. And for a guy at 6’9” to do that, that’s very valuable.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-eric-curry-suffers-knee-injury-in-latest-setback/562529832/

That title is speculative and somewhat misleading at the moment. All we know is that he had an injury and that he is out for an indefinite amount of time. Could have blown out his knee, could also have an MCL sprain that keeps him out a month. Who knows. Either way, super sad that he has to keep dealing with injuries.

Ugh, I feel bad for him.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Somebody get a guardian angel for this kid!

I hope it is a sprain or something minor, not so he can play, but so he catches a break. He deserves one after all his hard work.

This is terrible news for him and the team. Even if the injury isn't season ending, it is hard to see how he can regain confidence in playing on those knees. Tough, tough break

Wtf. Just can't catch a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still haven't seen any exact details, but Doogie says it's going to be a lengthy rehab again, so maybe it is another season ending injury. So sad and frustrating for him.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Somebody get a guardian angel for this kid!

I hope it is a sprain or something minor, not so he can play, but so he catches a break. He deserves one after all his hard work.

A torn ACL is a sprain- just a severe one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welp, good thing we brought in Demir and have Jarvis to man the 4. Freeman will now get pressed into action much sooner as a backup 5.

Sadly he might want to hang it up, he’s got his future to think about.

I think I would have hung up the shoes 2 knee injuries ago.

He must be heartbroken. Hope the U and his family are a great support system. Life has much more in store for this young man.

So sorry for Curry. Worked hard beyond our comprehension. That trait will serve him well. All my best thoughts.

Sad for him and the team. Have to wonder if he has another rehab in him ?

He must be heartbroken. Hope the U and his family are a great support system. Life has much more in store for this young man.

They supported him through the last couple of injuries. It is just heartbreaking all the injuries he has had to suffer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Competitive basketball is not in the cards for EC. It may be bad luck or his knees may have heightened susceptibility to injury. Regardless, he's a bright kid and his future lies outside the basketball court. I hate to say it, but I had almost forgotten he was still in the program.

I feel so bad for Eric. Anyone who has been through one major injury knows how difficult it is physically and mentally. This is now three for Eric including both his knees. I hope the "U" provides him with strong a support system beyond basketball (mental health especially) as he goes through a very tough time.

Anyone know if/when he's undergoing surgery? If its surgery, I assume he's done playing basketball at the U. If not, I guess there is a small chance he could come back.

How many surgeries/rehabs has Shannon Brooks done? He's back, and playing again this year.

Just saying, if you're willing to do it, it can be done.

How many surgeries/rehabs has Shannon Brooks done? He's back, and playing again this year.

Just saying, if you're willing to do it, it can be done.

I get what you’re saying. But if Curry rehabs and gets hurt again it isn’t like he isn’t willing. What gives you that indication? Such a weird stance to take.

Not sure how this all works, but is he out of redshirt injury years? (is he able to sit out ANOTHER year and keep that year of eligibility?)

Not sure how this all works, but is he out of redshirt injury years? (is he able to sit out ANOTHER year and keep that year of eligibility?)

If Curry is out for another full season, then finally gets healthy, and then chooses to max out his eligibility, he seems like a clear case for being given a 6th year. His case certainly would be stronger than Davonte Fitzzgerald's, who was granted a 6th year after his transfer (from Texas A&M) & more injury problems with the Gophers.

Curry
2016-17 Played
2017-18 Injury redshirt
2018-19 Played briefly, then got hurt again
2019-20 Injury redshirt?

That looks like a guy who should get to play in both 2020-21 and 2021-22, if he so chooses.

I get what you’re saying. But if Curry rehabs and gets hurt again it isn’t like he isn’t willing. What gives you that indication? Such a weird stance to take.

Huh?

My post was very clearly saying if he’s willing to return to playing again, as opposed to retiring.

Top Bottom