Nebraska in wait-and-see mode on Adrian Martinez, JD Spielman heading into Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Omaha World Herald:

Nebraska quarterback Adrian Martinez and receiver JD Spielman will be evaluated throughout the week before NU coach Scott Frost assesses whether either will play against Minnesota.

Both players “will be all right” after suffering minor injuries in the 13-10 win over Northwestern. Martinez’s backups, Frost said, are sophomore Noah Vedral and freshman Luke McCaffrey.

“We’re going to wait and see where Adrian is at the end of the week,” Frost said. “If Adrian’s healthy, he’ll go. ... He needs to practice a little, but he’s had plenty of reps.”

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Go Gophers!!

If he is hobbled and doesn't practice until the end of the week, it makes me wonder if that is more advantageous for the Gophers than if he was simply out.

I wonder if Frost feels any pressure to play him...

I am sure Frost feels pressure to win because that fan base is insane in their expectations so he is going to go with what he feels is the best option. Martinez or not we just need to take care of business against their very average defense and we should be fine.

I think, and I would hope, Frost feels a mountain of pressure.

He was a star QB at Nebraska. He was hired with the specific expectation of getting Nebraska back to being national champions. The delusional fan base expects no less.

That said, even if you say Nebraska loses to us, Wisc, and Iowa, and wins the rest, that's 7-5 and a bowl game, maybe finish 8-5 on the year. Not bad for year 2, and a nice improvement over 4-8.

I am sure Frost feels pressure to win because that fan base is insane in their expectations so he is going to go with what he feels is the best option. Martinez or not we just need to take care of business against their very average defense and we should be fine.

I've noticed the spread has gone up from Gophers -6.5 up to Gophers -8.0. It seems there's a fairly large group out there thinking one or both will be out and willing to put money on it.

I'm not sure Frost quite feels it from the fanbase ... yet.

But he might be putting it on himself as at times it seems like he just doesn't have hold of the team's spirit or emotionally.

Neb as a team sort of checks in and out at times. When they're on they have the talent to be great, when they're off it just builds and they sort of check out.

I'm not sure Frost quite feels it from the fanbase ... yet.

But he might be putting it on himself as at times it seems like he just doesn't have hold of the team's spirit or emotionally.

Neb as a team sort of checks in and out at times. When they're on they have the talent to be great, when they're off it just builds and they sort of check out.

He’s definitely feeling some pressure. My sister in law works for Nebraska and is a season ticket holder. Some of the fan base is very disappointed in the progression of the program and the failures to meet some of the (lofty) expectations.

Granted this is a fan base that is insane about their program and every year thinks they are better than their current team really is but there is discontent in Lincoln.

He’s definitely feeling some pressure. My sister in law works for Nebraska and is a season ticket holder. Some of the fan base is very disappointed in the progression of the program and the failures to meet some of the (lofty) expectations.

Granted this is a fan base that is insane about their program and every year thinks they are better than their current team really is but there is discontent in Lincoln.

Used to work with a guy who is a massive Nebraska fan. The level of delusion in that fanbase is pretty shocking. My father-in-law is a huge Ohio State fan and they are insane as a fanbase as well but at least the team has performed at a really high level to justify some of their lofty expectations. Nebraska has lost 4 or more games in every season since 2003. They have been good in most of those years but never great the way many of their fans feel they should be.

Used to work with a guy who is a massive Nebraska fan. The level of delusion in that fanbase is pretty shocking. My father-in-law is a huge Ohio State fan and they are insane as a fanbase as well but at least the team has performed at a really high level to justify some of their lofty expectations. Nebraska has lost 4 or more games in every season since 2003. They have been good in most of those years but never great the way many of their fans feel they should be.

True, however quite a few of those years they played 13 or even 14 games overall.

06 was a 14 game year, Big XII champ game and a bowl game
08-14 (all of Bo Pelini's tenure) were at least 13 games, and three were 14
2016 was a 13 game year

But your point is well taken, definitely not Ohio St level winning.

If he is hobbled and doesn't practice until the end of the week, it makes me wonder if that is more advantageous for the Gophers than if he was simply out.

It seems likely that a 100% Martinez won't be playing. It will either be an 80% Martinez or Vedral.

They both will play. Bank on it.

So where is the proof of delusion? The fans have high expectations? Would you prefer that they be okay with being mediocre/ bad? I dont really get your thought process at all. If Nebraska fans thought they were still great then you would have a case but... we dont, so your point makes no sense.

On the OP, it makes sense for Frost to hold out the option that Martinez might play. That at least forces MN to game-plan for two different QB's. I don't think the offense will look that much different in the type of plays they run, but Martinez - at this point of his career - is a better athlete and more experienced than the back-up. At the least, Neb wants to create uncertainty over whether Martinez plays or not.

Same with Spielman. keep MN guessing so they don't know until Saturday what the Neb lineup will look like.

My gut says Martinez is out and Frost is just messing with our preparations defensively.

My gut says Martinez is out and Frost is just messing with our preparations defensively.

That is my feeling as well. I took him saying that Martinez and Speilman will be alright to mean that it wasn't season ending --- but I personally doubt either of them play.

So where is the proof of delusion? The fans have high expectations? Would you prefer that they be okay with being mediocre/ bad? I dont really get your thought process at all. If Nebraska fans thought they were still great then you would have a case but... we dont, so your point makes no sense.

The proof of the delusion exists (among many places) in the quoted text above this post. Nebraska fans literally don't realize what has happened to their program to the point they don't see the obvious and need to ask others pointing out their delusion for proof of their delusion. That is a great example of their delusion. It may take a few more decades of alternating 3 point wins and losses against Northwestern, and regularly playing second fiddle to Iowa for this delusion to pass.

Until then, back to your discussion about where you fit in the college football playoff.

On the OP, it makes sense for Frost to hold out the option that Martinez might play. That at least forces MN to game-plan for two different QB's. I don't think the offense will look that much different in the type of plays they run, but Martinez - at this point of his career - is a better athlete and more experienced than the back-up. At the least, Neb wants to create uncertainty over whether Martinez plays or not.

Same with Spielman. keep MN guessing so they don't know until Saturday what the Neb lineup will look like.

In this case I don't think being cryptic about Martinez's injury will really affect the Gophers prep in any major way. There is little to no film on the backup so all the Gophers can really do is prepare for the offense with Martinez at the helm regardless of who ends up playing on Saturday.

In this case I don't think being cryptic about Martinez's injury will really affect the Gophers prep in any major way. There is little to no film on the backup so all the Gophers can really do is prepare for the offense with Martinez at the helm regardless of who ends up playing on Saturday.

backup played the entire fourth quarter and led the winning scoring drive, no?

That is my feeling as well. I took him saying that Martinez and Speilman will be alright to mean that it wasn't season ending --- but I personally doubt either of them play.

I guess that could explain the points.

backup played the entire fourth quarter and led the winning scoring drive, no?

No doubt we will study what we can on the backup but one quarter is still not much to go off of and he hasn't played a ton in his career leading up to this point either. So when the defense is breaking down Nebraska the vast majority of the film they will have to work with will be of Martinez running the show. So from a prep standpoint the injury and his status really doesn't change much of anything for the defense this week.

I guess that could explain the points.

Tuesday and Wednesday are the big practice days for college football teams. Thursday is usually focused on special teams and Friday is just a walk through. If they miss practice early in the week the odds of them playing on Saturday are not high.

Tuesday and Wednesday are the big practice days for college football teams. Thursday is usually focused on special teams and Friday is just a walk through. If they miss practice early in the week the odds of them playing on Saturday are not high.

For comparison, Sindelar did practice Tuesday the week before we played them. Although he also did the week before TCU too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but a coach could feel that the starter would still play better than the backup even without taking the physical reps during the week. And could be right.

Top Bottom