LJS: Gophers' offensive weapons to challenge Nebraska defense

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Lincoln Journal Star:

The numbers on the surface don't jump off the page.

Minnesota is 73rd nationally in total offense. The Golden Gophers are outside the top 50 in the country in passing offense and outside the top 70 in rushing offense. They can score a little, averaging 36 points per game, but in the big picture nothing stands out.

But you don't have to dig too far to see just how dangerous Minnesota's individual weapons are. Expected to be a strength coming into the season, the Gophers' receiving and running back corps have for the most part lived up to the hype.

"I think they’re big and physical up front. They've got some big tight ends that help them in the running game. Their quarterback has been really efficient. They have two really good wide receivers. They’re going to smash you and run some RPO’s (run-pass options). They’re going to take shots," Nebraska coach Scott Frost said Monday. "They’ve been putting up a lot of points. You can tell it’s Year 3 of (P.J. Fleck's) tenure up there. They’re starting to look like the team he wants them to look like. It’s going to be a good challenge for us and a great opportunity."

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_b25f823b-745b-528d-afbd-9545a52ccad2.html

Go Gophers!!

per the Lincoln Journal Star:

You can tell it’s Year 3 of (P.J. Fleck's) tenure up there. They’re starting to look like the team he wants them to look like. It’s going to be a good challenge for us and a great opportunity.

high praise. we commmmmmminggg

Being very much the homer here, it irks me a little when people refer to the Gophers as having 'two really good receivers'. They have four! ..You just can't target them all on every play. The 'other two' might not get as many snaps or as much spotlight, but i don't believe there to be much of a dropoff there. In my 43 years, this year's squad is easily the best situated this team has ever been at the position.

Being very much the homer here, it irks me a little when people refer to the Gophers as having 'two really good receivers'. They have four! ..You just can't target them all on every play. The 'other two' might not get as many snaps or as much spotlight, but i don't believe there to be much of a dropoff there. In my 43 years, this year's squad is easily the best situated this team has ever been at the position.

Agree 100%. I was wondering which two WRs they were talking about. Of course they mean TJ and Bateman but I double-dog dare you to leave CAB or Douglas in man coverage.

Agree 100%. I was wondering which two WRs they were talking about. Of course they mean TJ and Bateman but I double-dog dare you to leave CAB or Douglas in man coverage.

I have repeatedly said I think Autman-Bell might be the best #3 wide receiver in the country. He is a prototype wide receiver with very good route running and great hands. DD is very dangerous as well.

Here is transcript excerpt from Frost press conference. I haven't watched the video to hear his comments:

On Minnesota’s receivers
“Yeah, I think they have several good receivers, (Tyler) Johnson would probably be the leading one, but there’s a lot of guys you have to pay attention to. They do a good job of running those guys deep and completing some deep balls. They do a great job on RPO’s that if your eyes aren’t right or you’re not in the right place could turn into big plays. So, they definitely have some weapons on the perimeter and our DBs have to be on their game, but really everybody does because there’s a lot of things that go in to take away that run pass option."

Gophs 38th in scoring offense, 92nd in scoring defense. Nebby 58th in scoring offense, 93rd in scoring defense.

Gophs 38th in scoring offense, 92nd in scoring defense. Nebby 58th in scoring offense, 93rd in scoring defense.

Gee wiz, the way I heard it from Lincoln, the Huskers are #1 in scoring offense, #1 in scoring defense, and already have clinched a spot in the CFP. Must have misread.

Seriously, Minnesota’s 3 and 4 receivers would likely be a 1 or 2 on a lot of teams.

Top Bottom