2019-2020 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

$50 million/year is insane. How is that "better" than 7/$230? Give me the extra 5 years at $26 million/year.

Yankees had the most regular season wins overall in the 2010’s but 0 WS appearances.

Yankees had the most regular season wins overall in the 2010’s but 0 WS appearances.

The decade started in 2011 not 2010. There's one more year to evaluate. People are too stupid to realize when a decade starts.

If you're picking 2010 as your start date, then you're picking an arbitrary start date to fit a narrative.

The decade started in 2011 not 2010. There's one more year to evaluate. People are too stupid to realize when a decade starts.

If you're picking 2010 as your start date, then you're picking an arbitrary start date to fit a narrative.

How about the Yanks had the most wins in the past 10 years with no WS berths to show for it. You’re just being a pedantic dink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twins hitting coach James Rowson headed to Miami Marlins

James Rowson, who as Twins hitting coach watched his team set a major league record for home runs in 2019, has been hired as bench coach by the Miami Marlins, a league source confirmed.

Rowson will also have the title of "offensive coordinator" for the Marlins, who had the worst record in the NL at 57-105.

Rowson, 43, was a former minor league hitting coordinator for the Cubs and the Yankees when he was hired on former Twins manager Paul Molitor's staff for the 2017 season.

It's that Yankees connection that is in play here. Miami CEO Derek Jeter finished up his Hall of Fame-caliber career while Rowson was in the organization. Gary Denbo, Marlins vice president in charge of player development and scouting, held a similar role with the Yankees while Rowson was their minor league hitting coordinator from 2014 to '16.

Now Rowson will be Miami manager Don Mattingly's right-hand man. Rowson interviewed for the Twins' managerial opening a year ago before the club settled on Rocco Baldelli.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-hitting-coach-james-rowson-headed-to-miami-marlins/563817422/

Win Twins!!

Thanks for your insight. I stated 2010's, not decade. Or like someone else said, the last 10 seasons. If you're picking 2011 (9 seasons), you're equally picking an arbitrary start date to fit a narrative.

Twins hitting coach James Rowson headed to Miami Marlins

James Rowson, who as Twins hitting coach watched his team set a major league record for home runs in 2019, has been hired as bench coach by the Miami Marlins, a league source confirmed.

Rowson will also have the title of "offensive coordinator" for the Marlins, who had the worst record in the NL at 57-105.

Rowson, 43, was a former minor league hitting coordinator for the Cubs and the Yankees when he was hired on former Twins manager Paul Molitor's staff for the 2017 season.

It's that Yankees connection that is in play here. Miami CEO Derek Jeter finished up his Hall of Fame-caliber career while Rowson was in the organization. Gary Denbo, Marlins vice president in charge of player development and scouting, held a similar role with the Yankees while Rowson was their minor league hitting coordinator from 2014 to '16.

Now Rowson will be Miami manager Don Mattingly's right-hand man. Rowson interviewed for the Twins' managerial opening a year ago before the club settled on Rocco Baldelli.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-hitting-coach-james-rowson-headed-to-miami-marlins/563817422/

Win Twins!!

This hurts

Twins have Jake Odorizzi on a timer as offseason free agency clock starts ticking

The path to spring training 2020 started Thursday, as the five-day window in which teams can negotiate exclusively with their own free agents opened. Players also can start filing for free agency. For the Twins, that means they can consider bringing back righthanded pitchers Jake Odorizzi, Kyle Gibson, Michael Pineda and Sergio Romo; catcher Jason Castro; and second baseman Jonathan Schoop.

With catcher Mitch Garver and second baseman Luis Arraez taking on big roles in the offense, Castro and Schoop aren't expected back.

But with four of the five spots in the starting rotation undetermined, the next few days should be interesting.

With Jose Berrios the only starter definitely returning next season — he's eligible for arbitration — Odorizzi should be getting a phone call from the Twins about sticking around a few more years. The 29-year old righthander was 15-7 with a 3.51 ERA as he fixed mechanical issues to have the best season of his career.

"I really enjoyed my two years here and I think I've been pretty straightforward about that," Odorizzi said on Oct. 8 after the Twins were eliminated by the Yankees in the AL Division Series. "I try to be as straightforward as possible with just about everything. That's just the kind of person I am and if I'm back that would be great. I've really taken a liking to here. If not I wish nothing but the best for everybody. This is a great group top to bottom."

http://www.startribune.com/twins-ha...n-free-agency-clock-starts-ticking/564168692/

Win Twins!!

Has anyone ever tracked numbers of guys in contract years? Always seems they have the "best season of their career" the last year of their contract...

Shama: Twins Not Focusing on Pitching Ace

Minnesota Twins president Dave St. Peter acknowledged to Sports Headliners in a telephone interview the starting pitching staff is without an ace, but finding a No. 1 stopper isn’t how he and front office decision makers Derek Falvey and Thad Levine are defining offseason plans.

“We don’t think about it that way,” St. Peter said. “We don’t talk about it as a goal to get a staff ace. We talk about upgrading our pitching. There’s all kinds of ways to do that. …We need to find ways to get better and put ourselves in a position to be better in postseason environments. That’s the focus.

“There’s a limited number of, quote on quote, true staff aces so we’re not going to define our offseason success on whether we’re…able to get one of those guys. We think there are pitchers that are going to be available that are going to make us better, or put us in a better position to compete.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Win Twins!!

Twins pitcher Jake Odorizzi accepts one-year, $17.8 million qualifying offer

Jake Odorizzi is banking on the sure thing.

The Twins pitcher accepted the team’s one-year, $17.8 million qualifying offer at Thursday’s deadline rather than risk the waters of free agency.

Odorizzi will make the average of the top 125 salaries in 2018. He turns 30 in March and was projected to get free agent offers in the range of three years and $50 million.

The 29-year-old righthander was 15-7 with a 3.51 ERA and a 3.6 WAR last season when the Twins won the American League Central title.

The news was first reported by Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal; the Twins’ announcement is expected at 4 p.m.

“I really enjoyed my two years here and I think I’ve been pretty straightforward about that,” Odorizzi said on Oct. 8 after the Twins were eliminated by the Yankees in the AL Division Series. “I try to be as straightforward as possible with just about everything. That’s just the kind of person I am and if I’m back that would be great. I’ve really taken a liking to here. If not I wish nothing but the best for everybody. This is a great group top to bottom.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-pi...year-17-8-million-qualifying-offer/564938822/

Win Twins!!

Twins give Derek Falvey, Thad Levine contract extensions through 2024

The Twins made a couple of important signings Wednesday, but not for the team in uniform.

Derek Falvey and Thad Levine, the architects of the Twins’ American League Central champions, have agreed to contract extensions to remain in charge of the team’s baseball operations, a source with knowledge of the negotiations confirmed. Contract terms have not been disclosed, but the new deals are intended to keep the team’s chief baseball officer and general manager in Minneapolis through at least 2024.

In Falvey’s case, the new contract comes with a new title, too: President of Baseball Operations. His duties remain the same, but the title, replacing Executive Vice President and Chief Baseball Officer, puts him on equal footing with other teams’ top executives around the league.

Twins President and CEO Dave St. Peter declined to comment Wednesday on the new contracts, but said, “Obviously we are thrilled with the job Derek and Thad have done. They have been instrumental in making the Twins a championship quality team, but also a championship quality organization.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-give-derek-falvey-thad-levine-contracts-through-2024/564868492/

Win Twins!!

Twins pitcher Jake Odorizzi accepts one-year, $17.8 million qualifying offer

Jake Odorizzi is banking on the sure thing.

The Twins pitcher accepted the team’s one-year, $17.8 million qualifying offer at Thursday’s deadline rather than risk the waters of free agency.

Odorizzi will make the average of the top 125 salaries in 2018. He turns 30 in March and was projected to get free agent offers in the range of three years and $50 million.

The 29-year-old righthander was 15-7 with a 3.51 ERA and a 3.6 WAR last season when the Twins won the American League Central title.

The news was first reported by Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal; the Twins’ announcement is expected at 4 p.m.

“I really enjoyed my two years here and I think I’ve been pretty straightforward about that,” Odorizzi said on Oct. 8 after the Twins were eliminated by the Yankees in the AL Division Series. “I try to be as straightforward as possible with just about everything. That’s just the kind of person I am and if I’m back that would be great. I’ve really taken a liking to here. If not I wish nothing but the best for everybody. This is a great group top to bottom.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-pi...year-17-8-million-qualifying-offer/564938822/

Win Twins!!

$18 million is a bit steep, especially if he reverts to 2018 form, but at least it's a 1-year deal.

$18 million is a bit steep, especially if he reverts to 2018 form, but at least it's a 1-year deal.

Steep but it locks us down one above average starter. There are a lot of teams who think they are going to make a run next year who weren't in the playoffs this year (Padres, Phillies, Rangers, Angels, etc) so I don't like the Twins chances at landing anyone else in free agency at Odo's level.

Even though the Twins will be good I just don't think they are an attractive destination for some reason.

Steep but it locks us down one above average starter. There are a lot of teams who think they are going to make a run next year who weren't in the playoffs this year (Padres, Phillies, Rangers, Angels, etc) so I don't like the Twins chances at landing anyone else in free agency at Odo's level.

Even though the Twins will be good I just don't think they are an attractive destination for some reason.

I'd still like to take a run at trading for Syndergaard and/or signing MadBaum. Preferably both. If they include Rosario in a Syndergaard trade the $ will be close to a wash.

I'd still like to take a run at trading for Syndergaard and/or signing MadBaum. Preferably both. If they include Rosario in a Syndergaard trade the $ will be close to a wash.

I agree. I think trading is our best option to land a top tier starter this offseason. I'm also bummed Will Smith signed with the Braves as he was one of the better relievers on the market right now.

per STrib:

Twins prospect Ryan Costello was found dead in his New Zealand hotel room Monday, days after joining his team in the Australian Baseball League.
The 23-year-old third baseman died in his sleep, said his team, the Auckland Tuatara. No cause was given.

Jeremy Zoll, the Twins assistant general manager who oversees the team’s farm system, wrote on Twitter: “Ryan’s infectious energy and drive for greatness will never be forgotten. He is the definition of a great teammate and has been taken from us far too soon. Sending thoughts and prayers to the Costello family.”

The Twins said in a statement: “The Minnesota Twins are deeply saddened to learn of the untimely passing of Ryan Costello yesterday in New Zealand. On behalf of the entire organization, the Twins send their most sincere condolences to Ryan’s family, friends, coaches and teammates.”

Concerns were raised when Costello failed to report for practice Monday, days ahead of Tuatara’s opener of the 2019-20 season. Costello was to play in the Australian league over the winter before resuming his career with the Twins.

Born in Hartford, Conn., Costello went to high school in the Hartford suburb of Wethersfield and then played college baseball at Central Connecticut State in New Britain.

Win Twins!!

Texas Rangers will sign former Twins pitcher Kyle Gibson

Kyle Gibson, who pitched for the Twins for the past seven years, has reached a contract agreement with the Texas Rangers.

Gibson, 32, will get $30 million over three season from the Rangers, a major league source confirmed. He must still pass a physical exam before the team will announce the signing.

It ends a long run with the Twins organization. After being drafted in the first round (22nd overall) in 2009 out of Missouri by the Twins, Gibson made it to the major leagues in 2013. He was 67-68 with a 4.52 ERA, a 1.411 WHIP and only one complete game in 188 starts.

Coming off an encouraging 2018 season, when he posted a 3.62 ERA, Gibson was 13-7 with a 4.84 ERA. He began the season playing catch up after getting E. coli during an offseason mission trip. During the season, he was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. He struggled to get regular sleep and lost weight.

He lost his spot in the rotation late in the season, and pitched an inning in relief against the Yankees in Game 1 of the ALDS, giving up three runs.

Win Twins!!

per STrib:

Twins bench coach Derek Shelton was hired to manage the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday, the third member of Rocco Baldelli's staff to leave the club since the end of the regular season.

Shelton takes over for Clint Hurdle, who was fired after the team finished last in the National League East. He's been a candidate since the offseason began, but the Pirates search was put on hold when General Manager Neal Huntington was dismissed a month ago. Once Ben Cherington was tabbed as Huntington's replacement, the managerial search continued.

Shelton impressed the Pirates from the beginning, earning a second interview.

"My family and I are thrilled to have the opportunity to join the Pittsburgh community and are humbled to be a part of this storied franchise," Shelton said in a statement. "One of the most exciting things for me during the interview process was just how evident the passion for Pittsburgh and the desire to succeed was with everyone I interacted with."

Win Twins!!

Texas Rangers will sign former Twins pitcher Kyle Gibson

Kyle Gibson, who pitched for the Twins for the past seven years, has reached a contract agreement with the Texas Rangers.

Gibson, 32, will get $30 million over three season from the Rangers, a major league source confirmed. He must still pass a physical exam before the team will announce the signing.

It ends a long run with the Twins organization. After being drafted in the first round (22nd overall) in 2009 out of Missouri by the Twins, Gibson made it to the major leagues in 2013. He was 67-68 with a 4.52 ERA, a 1.411 WHIP and only one complete game in 188 starts.

Coming off an encouraging 2018 season, when he posted a 3.62 ERA, Gibson was 13-7 with a 4.84 ERA. He began the season playing catch up after getting E. coli during an offseason mission trip. During the season, he was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. He struggled to get regular sleep and lost weight.

He lost his spot in the rotation late in the season, and pitched an inning in relief against the Yankees in Game 1 of the ALDS, giving up three runs.

Win Twins!!

A good time to be a starting pitcher......$10 million? yikes

CJ Cron won’t be back. Sano to first? Bringing in Donaldson for third?

My Zack Wheeler dream has died. Phillies locked him up 5/118.
Cole Hamels just got 18 million for 1 year with Atlanta. I'd rather have Odo by a mile.

My Zack Wheeler dream has died. Phillies locked him up 5/118.
Cole Hamels just got 18 million for 1 year with Atlanta. I'd rather have Odo by a mile.
Sounds like his wife is from Philly and he had better offers but really wanted to go there.

Dear Saintpaulguy,

As a Twins Season Ticket Holder, we’d like to make you aware that the Minnesota Twins have again extended fan safety netting at Target Field, while also raising its height atop the dugouts and down both foul lines. Based on your current seat location, this change to the safety netting will NOT impact your view of the game.

On Opening Day 2020, the following Target Field seating areas will be covered by fan safety netting: Dugout Box (Sections 1, 16 and 17); Dugout Box Infield (Sections 2-6 and 11-15); Thomson Reuters Champions Club (Sections 7-10); Diamond Box (Sections 103-104 and 124-125); Infield Box (Sections 105-108 and 120-123); and, Home Plate Box (109-119).

The new netting extends an additional 85 feet from its previous end point down the left field line and 65 feet further down the right field line, covering the ballpark’s Diamond Box seating areas (Sections 124-125 in left field and Sections 103-104 in right). With this latest extension building upon additional measures taken by the club prior to the 2016 and 2018 seasons, Target Field fan safety netting now covers from behind home plate to approximately 275 feet down the left field line, and from the plate to about 255 feet out in right field. The netting is 16 feet high at the dugouts, an increase of three feet from 2019 dimensions (12 feet of netting atop the dugout roof, which is four feet above field level), before climbing to an apex of approximately 22 feet high down the left field line (eight feet higher than 2019) and 21 feet high in right field (an increase of seven feet).

All Target Field fan safety netting uses state-of-the art technology, with thin strands and a knotless intersection to deliver a minimally obtrusive viewing experience. The netting is also composed of a combination of green hues, allowing it to blend with the playing field and provide greater visibility. Ensuring the unique baseball tradition of pregame player interaction remains part of the Target Field fan experience, the new netting is designed to be detached at the base and rolled up, providing a specific fan access point down each foul line during batting practice.

Thank you for your ongoing support of the Minnesota Twins. If you have any questions about safety netting or any other matter related to your Twins Season Tickets, please contact your Ticket Sales and Service Executive directly or call the Season Ticket Holder VIP Phone Line at 612-370-4575.

Your Twins Ticket Sales & Service Team

Wheeler and Hamels off the board. One report claims the Twins and White Sox are the top two teams after Madison Bumgarner. But - could take a 5-yr, $100-million deal to land him. For a 30-year old pitcher, that would make me nervous.

At this point, I might be more inclined to focus on a trade that brings in a younger pitcher with potential. I would rather get a 25-year old guy on the way up as opposed to a 30-year old guy who may be on the way down.

The ghost of Joe Mauer is still too alive to sign a package like that.

Wheeler and Hamels off the board. One report claims the Twins and White Sox are the top two teams after Madison Bumgarner. But - could take a 5-yr, $100-million deal to land him. For a 30-year old pitcher, that would make me nervous.

At this point, I might be more inclined to focus on a trade that brings in a younger pitcher with potential. I would rather get a 25-year old guy on the way up as opposed to a 30-year old guy who may be on the way down.
May be on the way down is the key. Verlander looked shaky before the Tigers dealt him. Either way, they're sitting at 2 competent starters right now, so they probably should do something.

For FA pitching, it's already MadBaum or bust. MadBaum/Syndergaard has been my preferred combo all along. Get it done.

Top Bottom