Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 121
  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Disagree on depth. What do we do if Oturu gets injured or is in foul trouble? We don’t have a proven big on the roster.
    We may have to get used to it. As we get better recruits and they leave early for the next level, we will just have to reload and depend on proven talent more often.


  2. #62
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Columbia Heights
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Center is a position that is lacking quality depth, but it's hard to carry more than 2-3 centers these days. We definitely have improved depth though, last year I didn't trust anyone off the bench except Stockman. Stull, Hurt, Omerssa, and Washington really struggled to give us much positive and had to mostly hope for not being negative when they got in. This year at least Omerssa is a year older, Hurt is a senior and hopefully will finally gain some confidence, and Williams/Ihnen is an improvement over Washington/Stull. In addition you have Greenlee/Freeman this year who are at least good enough athletes with the will to play some really solid defense for 5-7 mins a night.

  3. #63

    Default

    Oturu with the extra pounds won't have to push as much and he should have picked up enough after a whole season to cut back on fouls.

    Freeman should be a suitable replacement for Matz. He has a big body and looks to be more athletic. I'm sure he doesn't have the soft touch of Matz around the basket, but we weren't exactly counting on Matz for points.

    Plus, Freeman and Oturu have been going at each other every day for at least three months now! I'm pretty sure the Freshman is getting a good education from trying to hold down Oturu on a daily basis. That relationship is going to make both better.

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    We may have to get used to it. As we get better recruits and they leave early for the next level, we will just have to reload and depend on proven talent more often.
    Huh? We've had one guy in 6 years leave early and he spent most of last year playing PG. What does that have to do with depth behind Oturu and bodies at PF?

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,993

    Default

    If there's one area where you can skate by with limited depth, it's probably at C or PF - just because there are fewer traditional big men any more, and a lot more teams are going with smaller lineups. the days of the 6'11" brawny dude who plays with his back to the basket are dwindling. (except at Purdue) and if there is a 6'11' guy on the court, he's just as likely to be sitting out on the perimeter hoisting up 3-pointers.

    1 big man, 3 wing types and a point/combo guard. that describes a lot of teams these days.

  6. #66

    Default

    Awesome get in Mashburn but turning the corner will mean getting way more out of nearly every 4 star. Tons of programs have recruited worse by ranking only to destroy is in actual team and individual accomplishments. Put your classes together and win conference titles ! Do it by winning a ton,winning something. We have the players to win right now.

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    We may have to get used to it. As we get better recruits and they leave early for the next level, we will just have to reload and depend on proven talent more often.
    I somehow missed this gem. It's been 15 years since we've had anyone drafted into the NBA, and now we're worried about a bunch of early entrants? Wow. I wish that I could leave reality and join you in rainbow and unicorn land.

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    I somehow missed this gem. It's been 15 years since we've had anyone drafted into the NBA, and now we're worried about a bunch of early entrants? Wow. I wish that I could leave reality and join you in rainbow and unicorn land.
    Don't get stuck in the past. As we recruit better players, there will be the chance of some leaving early. How about Garcia, isn't he projected to be an early NBA player?

    I was just optimistically talking about how we will have to get used to young players taking leadership roles. No fans thought that Gabe was able to take on such responsibility as a freshman.

    If Pitino continues to bring in top 20-30 ranked classes, then we will have some players that can step-up and fill in big roles without haven played much in the past (freshman or sophomores). So. it was a response to people being fearful of "unproven" players.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Columbia Heights
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Don't get stuck in the past. As we recruit better players, there will be the chance of some leaving early. How about Garcia, isn't he projected to be an early NBA player?

    I was just optimistically talking about how we will have to get used to young players taking leadership roles. No fans thought that Gabe was able to take on such responsibility as a freshman.

    If Pitino continues to bring in top 20-30 ranked classes, then we will have some players that can step-up and fill in big roles without haven played much in the past (freshman or sophomores). So. it was a response to people being fearful of "unproven" players.
    Not sure why so many people are skeptical about unproven players. These kids play so much basketball now there are nearly ready from day one. There is always an adjustment period as a Freshman as the talent is greater, but it seems to be a much shorter adjustment period today than it was 20 years ago. If they can ball, they will ball regardless of how much B1G action they have seen.

  10. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Don't get stuck in the past. As we recruit better players, there will be the chance of some leaving early. How about Garcia, isn't he projected to be an early NBA player?

    I was just optimistically talking about how we will have to get used to young players taking leadership roles. No fans thought that Gabe was able to take on such responsibility as a freshman.

    If Pitino continues to bring in top 20-30 ranked classes, then we will have some players that can step-up and fill in big roles without haven played much in the past (freshman or sophomores). So. it was a response to people being fearful of "unproven" players.
    I'm not stuck in the past, I'm living in the present. You're living in fantasy land.

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    I somehow missed this gem. It's been 15 years since we've had anyone drafted into the NBA, and now we're worried about a bunch of early entrants? Wow. I wish that I could leave reality and join you in rainbow and unicorn land.
    What do you think of the current class so far? What would you think if we get Garcia in addition to the current pair?

  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    I'm not stuck in the past, I'm living in the present. You're living in fantasy land.
    Then why do so many of your replies depend upon negative history to justify your arguments?

    Change Your Best, be optimistic about the future.

  13. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    What do you think of the current class so far? What would you think if we get Garcia in addition to the current pair?
    It's a very solid class. It will be among the best ever at Minnesota if Garcia signs on.

    The problem is - Pitino has always been a solid recruiter, and yet look at his record. It's an even greater indictment of his coaching ability that he takes upper-third Big Ten recruiting classes and turns them into lower-third Big Ten results.

  14. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Then why do so many of your replies depend upon negative history to justify your arguments?

    Change Your Best, be optimistic about the future.
    The past informs the present. Delusions inform fantasy.

    The future will take its course regardless of my level of optimism. I've seen very little to make me optimistic about the future of the Gopher basketball program under its current leadership.

  15. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    The past informs the present. Delusions inform fantasy.

    The future will take its course regardless of my level of optimism. I've seen very little to make me optimistic about the future of the Gopher basketball program under its current leadership.
    So what's your purpose in posting this then? Keep the already healthy negative (whether earned or not) fan base more negative? Alchemy is quite positive, but he's not delusional.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •