Martice Mitchell committed to Minnesota!!

4 star? Seen rated 3 star too.

More of a project than an immediate big contributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is rated 4 stars by 247 and Rivals. So yeah, a 4-star recruit.

He is a 3-star on 247's composite rating.

Great get. If Mashburn Jr. gets on board then we will have a great chance at Garcia completing a top 20 recruiting class in the nation, certainly in the B1G.

He kind of looks like Jalen Smith of Maryland in build, shot and ballhandling ability. That is probably his high side projection.

On the other end, he looks like a taller version of Buggs.

He needs quite a few sandwiches.

Go Gophers!

Nice Get!!

Most HS ballers need the weight room...I'm not concerned

looks like he moves pretty well for 6'10" Coffey X Curry hybrid LETS GO!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Nice beginning to 2020. Several nice offers and highly rated. Just from video clips and the stats I’ve seen highlighted on video thumbnails he reminds me of Freeman. Much less physical but more perimeter potential. However, he’s not going to score too often on anything but dunks to begin his Gopher career unless his quickness dramatically improves in his perimeter skills...shot release, ball handling footwork, acceleration etc

I really don't think Mitchell is anything like Freeman at all prospect wise. If he was, this would be a curious take for Pitino.

Mitchell is a much more fluid athlete, better ball handler, better shot. More potential to switch and guard on the perimeter.

Freeman is a pure center who will focus on rebounding and blocking shots. He's also much more developed physically.

Last edited:

I really don't think Mitchell is anything like Freeman at all prospect wise. If he was, this would be a curious take for Pitino.

Mitchell is a much more fluid athlete, better ball handler, better shot. More potential to switch and guard on the perimeter.

Freeman is a pure center who will focus on rebounding and blocking shots. His also much more developed physically.

Agreed. Pitino recruited Mitchell as a wing player

Freeman is a pure center who will focus on rebounding and blocking shots. He's also much more developed physically.

Hes more Ihnen then he is Freeman as a prospect

Agreed. Pitino recruited Mitchell as a wing player

Guys like Mitchell allow guys like Jarvis Omersa to be valuable. Height isn't always the determining factor of who plays were. Depending on if Mitchell can move well enough to guard on the perimeter, Jarvis can be the "post" and Mitchell can play a wing. Offensively height is irrelevant and skill set trumps.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

from the POV in these clips, he seems to have a nice stroke from outside, good D but what stood out to me is he runs the court well. That shows hustle!

If we land Garcia, too, we’ll have a lot of size and versatility. That’s what I always envied about Baylor and Oregon. Foul trouble on one of their skilled bigs... no problem; just bring in another one of your 6 or 8 clones and press on. Meanwhile, we always seem to struggle to find one of those types to start, and have no similar replacement on the bench.

Go Gophers!!

Cannot wait to see what he does his senior HS season. This video of him this summer already looks quite a bit different than his junior HS highlights. More aggressive, more outside shooting, more driving to the hoop.

It seems like basketball - at least at major college level and NBA - is moving more toward the "position-less" model. put the 5 best athletes on the floor and don't worry about labeling them as a 'PG' or 'SF.' just find people who can play and let them play. if you wind up with a 6'8" post and a 6'10" shooting guard, so what?

In fact, it seems like the big colleges and pros are actively going away from players who are one-dimensional or can only play one position. having that position flexibility seems like the clear trend, so you have options in case of injuries/foul trouble/etc.

It seems like basketball - at least at major college level and NBA - is moving more toward the "position-less" model. put the 5 best athletes on the floor and don't worry about labeling them as a 'PG' or 'SF.' just find people who can play and let them play. if you wind up with a 6'8" post and a 6'10" shooting guard, so what?

In fact, it seems like the big colleges and pros are actively going away from players who are one-dimensional or can only play one position. having that position flexibility seems like the clear trend, so you have options in case of injuries/foul trouble/etc.

as long as you do not end up with a 6'4" dude at the 5

Yeah, wanting at least one guy who can handle the ball under pressure and create offense for himself and others, a few guys who can shoot from outside, and a couple guys who can play interior defense and rebound just makes things too complicated and old school. If your 5 best players are 6'10" low post scorers who can't dribble or shoot from outside 10 feet, who cares. Throw them all out there together and let them figure it out.

Yeah, wanting at least one guy who can handle the ball under pressure and create offense for himself and others, a few guys who can shoot from outside, and a couple guys who can play interior defense and rebound just makes things too complicated and old school. If your 5 best players are 6'10" low post scorers who can't dribble or shoot from outside 10 feet, who cares. Throw them all out there together and let them figure it out.

That would actually be a really fun game to watch. Who would win in a game of Cassius Winston, Carson Edwards, Anthony Cowan, Jr. , Jordan Bohannon and Zavier Simpson against a team of Ethan Happ, Bruno Fernando, Jon Teske, Nick Ward and Iggy Brazdeikis?

That would actually be a really fun game to watch. Who would win in a game of Cassius Winston, Carson Edwards, Anthony Cowan, Jr. , Jordan Bohannon and Zavier Simpson against a team of Ethan Happ, Bruno Fernando, Jon Teske, Nick Ward and Iggy Brazdeikis?

I think the guards would win in a blowout.

Not sure it's been posted here, but figure it wil eventually. Doogie is saying that Xavier "backed off" of Mitchell. The normal caveats with Doogie apply: it's never hard to figure out his source and his source usually has an agenda. However, this info somewhat tracks with what Ryan James said in his latest podcast that came out Sunday that Mitchell was down to Minnesota and Rutgers.

Ryan compared Martice Mitchell to former Gopher Antoine Broxsie in the podcast and I thought that was an interesting comparison. I thought Broxsie had a decent career at Oklahoma State after transferring from the Gophers, but I just looked up his stats and he didn't do much there either. Anyways Broxsie was a tall, thin kid with a lot of potential.

From everything I've read and seen on Mitchell he seems like a boom or bust prospect. He averaged 10.4 points and 5.6 rebounds for Kevon Looney Elite playing on the Adidas circuit. These numbers are not exactly accurate as he played a couple games in another jersey number and had his summer high 25 points (and a game with 4 points) wearing a different jersey later in July. He only shot 46.1 % from the field playing on the Adidas circuit, but that is misleading because he was a horrific 6 of 32 from 3 on the season. Take away the 3's and he shot a solid percentage for a big over the 10 game sample size.

If you are bullish on Martice, you point to his improved stats late in the Adidas circuit and especially his performance at the NCAA regional camp (can't find stats for that) where he started getting the high major offers from Minnesota, Xavier, Oregon and others. I believe he just started to grow in to a big as a sophomore, so he's really only had a year or so to adjust to his new body so there is obviously plenty of upside there.

One area of concern is that he views himself as a wing and that could be an issue if his skills are more those of a post. This article (https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/preps-talk/blooms-martice-mitchell-commits-minnesota) is one of many that mentions his desire to not be viewed as a post. Martice himself even tweeted at David Sisk that he's "not a center" when Sisk tweeted out something like Rivals 150 Center Martice Mitchell will be visiting the Gophers.

One area of concern is that he views himself as a wing and that could be an issue if his skills are more those of a post. This article (https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/preps-talk/blooms-martice-mitchell-commits-minnesota) is one of many that mentions his desire to not be viewed as a post. Martice himself even tweeted at David Sisk that he's "not a center" when Sisk tweeted out something like Rivals 150 Center Martice Mitchell will be visiting the Gophers.

Great post overall. Only highlighting the last paragraph because I too found that interesting... Seems like the trend is that taller guys with slender frames are trying to pigeon-hole themselves as wing players (see Ilhen). Not sure that works too well in the B1G10. If the guy can be a Joey King-type player in this offense, then whatever, I'll take that. I think these guys will learn early on that playing the wing isn't going to work out in Power 5 basketball. Plus, you better be at least a 33% shooter beyond the arc if you want to play the wing in the B1G10

Doogie is a clown. He doesn't post here anymore because most of the holers know his scoops a week before he does and he can't handle being called out. Pretty obvious Hoibergs people played him like a fiddle back in 2013 to get an extension in Ames. Also anyone worth their salt knows Ben Johnson is his Xavier source. No coach is going to admit a recruit cooled on him, I get protecting a source but that cat is clearly out of the bag, Ben has been outed!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Good get for a program like the gophers...very tough to get out of state kids top 100 kids sans a local connection to the U of M....So an out of State top 125 kid is pretty good

Great post overall. Only highlighting the last paragraph because I too found that interesting... Seems like the trend is that taller guys with slender frames are trying to pigeon-hole themselves as wing players (see Ilhen). Not sure that works too well in the B1G10. If the guy can be a Joey King-type player in this offense, then whatever, I'll take that. I think these guys will learn early on that playing the wing isn't going to work out in Power 5 basketball. Plus, you better be at least a 33% shooter beyond the arc if you want to play the wing in the B1G10

Michigan's recent success would argue this theory strongly. Walker, Teske, Iggy could have all been forced into traditional post roles in the old days, but played much more as a wing. I know Pitino mentioned wanting to take some ideas from Beilein's system now that he is gone. Basketball is changing much more to the 4-out, 1-in game.

Not sure it's been posted here, but figure it wil eventually. Doogie is saying that Xavier "backed off" of Mitchell. The normal caveats with Doogie apply: it's never hard to figure out his source and his source usually has an agenda. However, this info somewhat tracks with what Ryan James said in his latest podcast that came out Sunday that Mitchell was down to Minnesota and Rutgers.

Ryan compared Martice Mitchell to former Gopher Antoine Broxsie in the podcast and I thought that was an interesting comparison. I thought Broxsie had a decent career at Oklahoma State after transferring from the Gophers, but I just looked up his stats and he didn't do much there either. Anyways Broxsie was a tall, thin kid with a lot of potential.

From everything I've read and seen on Mitchell he seems like a boom or bust prospect. He averaged 10.4 points and 5.6 rebounds for Kevon Looney Elite playing on the Adidas circuit. These numbers are not exactly accurate as he played a couple games in another jersey number and had his summer high 25 points (and a game with 4 points) wearing a different jersey later in July. He only shot 46.1 % from the field playing on the Adidas circuit, but that is misleading because he was a horrific 6 of 32 from 3 on the season. Take away the 3's and he shot a solid percentage for a big over the 10 game sample size.

If you are bullish on Martice, you point to his improved stats late in the Adidas circuit and especially his performance at the NCAA regional camp (can't find stats for that) where he started getting the high major offers from Minnesota, Xavier, Oregon and others. I believe he just started to grow in to a big as a sophomore, so he's really only had a year or so to adjust to his new body so there is obviously plenty of upside there.

Ryan said he is a 4/5 and not a 3/4. We will likely be playing a "4-out 1-in" anyway though, so he should be able to play from the wing offensively a good amount.

Top Bottom