Martice Mitchell committed to Minnesota!!

Pitino recruited him as a wing! He will not be a center and Michigan has had quite a bit of success with a stable tall, athletic players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He could see a lot of playing time next year. It'll be nice to have him on board :)

After the Garcia announcement, Gophers sent a whole cow to Mitchell's house!

he is going to be needed to step in right away and contribute at the PF spot!

love the clip

I don't care what RJ says. I strongly disagree with his take that the Gophers should have taken Jennissen over Mitchell.

I don't care what RJ says. I strongly disagree with his take that the Gophers should have taken Jennissen over Mitchell.

I never heard or read him say that, but if true quite an interesting take. Jennissen is a nice player, but don't know if he's a right fit. Mitchell may still take some time, but will be interesting to watch his obvious continued development.

having seen Jennissen play a ton.....I don't know how at any point RJ came to that conclusion. honestly do you have a link as the him saying that?

having seen Jennissen play a ton.....I don't know how at any point RJ came to that conclusion. honestly do you have a link as the him saying that?

He said it on the 247 boards. I can't send the link because I don't think you'll be able to see it. Let me see if I can copy and paste it.

Next year: Oturu, Mitchell, Walton would be nice for your starting forwards.

Next year: Oturu, Mitchell, Walton would be nice for your starting forwards.
It's be nice, but take out Oturo and Walton most likely. One will NBA, other will not come here.

It's be nice, but take out Oturo and Walton most likely. One will NBA, other will not come here.

Unless he has an unreal year, I'd be shocked if Daniel left after this season. He still has a lot of midrange game to develop to fit into today's NBA.

Unless he has an unreal year, I'd be shocked if Daniel left after this season. He still has a lot of midrange game to develop to fit into today's NBA.
I think he would get drafted but I think it would be better for him to stay one more year to gain strength as well as polish his game. He could be mid first round a year from now. I hope he learns from Coffey's situation.

Is Ryan James more critical of Pitino/recruiting on the 247 board than he is on public forums (Twitter, 247, etc)? I have found that Ryan, probably because of his close ties to Minnesota high school basketball, seems to have a bias towards local kids. That's not really a criticism as we all have biases (some we realize, some we don't) but I've noticed Ryan has frequently praised Michael Hurt for example while shying away from any criticism which was is almost the exact opposite of his comments on someone like Isaiah Washington.

With Jennissen, Pitino would have had to have been real sure he was going to be a contributor. It's going to be harder politically to move on from a Minnesota kid than a kid from anywhere else if that player can't help. It also would be a terrible look to miss out on all the Minnesota kids and then take a Minnesota kid who has no other high major offers. I already don't like Pitino's strategy in-state (I don't like the late offers to kids he doesn't want) but if you start taking kids like Jennissen, especially in a year like this, you risk future top local kids as viewing Minnesota as an equivalent offer to mid majors and not an actual big deal to receive an offer from. Obviously if Jennissen turns out to be better than some of the local kids ranked ahead of him you look like a genius, but if he plays like his lack of offers suggest you have more delicate issues to handle than you would with someone like Jamir Harris for example.

One thing about Mitchell is the 4 star thing is completely overplayed. It's only been the last 2-3 years where someone with his ranking would have been considered a 4 star player on 247 or Rivals. He's 131 on Rivals and in 2016 that same ranking would have been a 3 star (Eric Curry was 142 and a 3 star that year). Kevin Dorsey was the last 4 star in 2015 and he checked in at 108 that year. Obviously this means nothing in terms of actual production of the player, but the bar to be considered a 4 star has been lowered. Everything I've read on Mitchell suggests he's a project with upside who likely has a higher ceiling, but lower floor than a lot of other kids ranked around him.

Am I missing something? What offer do we have right now to a minnesota kid that we really dont want. I live in illinois and whether people think mitchell is a 3 star or 4 star it doesnt matter. I know a Coach who has seen him 3 or 4 times and thinks were getting a hidden gem. Hopefully this is true, but the more I hear about mitchell the more I think we are getting a good one.

Is Ryan James more critical of Pitino/recruiting on the 247 board than he is on public forums (Twitter, 247, etc)? I have found that Ryan, probably because of his close ties to Minnesota high school basketball, seems to have a bias towards local kids. That's not really a criticism as we all have biases (some we realize, some we don't) but I've noticed Ryan has frequently praised Michael Hurt for example while shying away from any criticism which was is almost the exact opposite of his comments on someone like Isaiah Washington.

With Jennissen, Pitino would have had to have been real sure he was going to be a contributor. It's going to be harder politically to move on from a Minnesota kid than a kid from anywhere else if that player can't help. It also would be a terrible look to miss out on all the Minnesota kids and then take a Minnesota kid who has no other high major offers. I already don't like Pitino's strategy in-state (I don't like the late offers to kids he doesn't want) but if you start taking kids like Jennissen, especially in a year like this, you risk future top local kids as viewing Minnesota as an equivalent offer to mid majors and not an actual big deal to receive an offer from. Obviously if Jennissen turns out to be better than some of the local kids ranked ahead of him you look like a genius, but if he plays like his lack of offers suggest you have more delicate issues to handle than you would with someone like Jamir Harris for example.

One thing about Mitchell is the 4 star thing is completely overplayed. It's only been the last 2-3 years where someone with his ranking would have been considered a 4 star player on 247 or Rivals. He's 131 on Rivals and in 2016 that same ranking would have been a 3 star (Eric Curry was 142 and a 3 star that year). Kevin Dorsey was the last 4 star in 2015 and he checked in at 108 that year. Obviously this means nothing in terms of actual production of the player, but the bar to be considered a 4 star has been lowered. Everything I've read on Mitchell suggests he's a project with upside who likely has a higher ceiling, but lower floor than a lot of other kids ranked around him.
Mitchell is a project and has a lot of work, but it's more so on his body. RJ praises MN kids to not ruin his connections to AAU coaches who give him his recruiting info to share and make money off of.

A certain starting guard for the T-Wolves was a 3-star recruit not so long ago and it worked out for him. I am excited about Mitchell and, frankly identifying and developing slightly under the radar talent is the best path for a program like ours to rise.

A certain starting guard for the T-Wolves was a 3-star recruit not so long ago and it worked out for him. I am excited about Mitchell and, frankly identifying and developing slightly under the radar talent is the best path for a program like ours to rise.
I totally agree. Actually it says a lot that Pitino is getting guys like Mitchell, Ihnen and Williams who have long term upside who he believes he can work with and develop. It is almost like he feels that the AD understands what he is doing and has confidence in the coach in a way that some fans here don't.
If Pitino felt like his job was on the line this year, you would think he would have run out and gotten a couple of Jucos for this year to patch a few pot holes.

I think he would get drafted but I think it would be better for him to stay one more year to gain strength as well as polish his game. He could be mid first round a year from now. I hope he learns from Coffey's situation.

If he can get drafted anywhere on the first round, HE MUST GO. Otherwise, his stock is very likely to fall.

Gophs should feed Oturu just the same way!

If he can get drafted anywhere on the first round, HE MUST GO. Otherwise, his stock is very likely to fall.

He can polish his game in the NBA. If he is a first round pick, it's a no-brainer, you go pro.

Strange that Mitchell didn't make the Chicago Sun-Times' all-area team that's selected by coaches and ADs (although his teammate at Bloom Township did).

Apparently he has had an injury earlier this year and has come on stronger later in the year. His team is loaded, maybe the best team in Illinois.

Top Bottom