Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nebraska notices Gopher tight ends

from Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip:

Nebraska defensive star Darrion Daniels is asked about Minnesota's talented group of RBs and immediately steers conversation in a different direction.

"They have some big tight ends. That'll be something different for us (to defend)."

I notice Gophers with a lot of two tight end sets and even some three tight end sets, I believe. Thought Paulson and Kieft were noticeably better in run blocking. Used SpannFord for first time with great success. Witham gets some run as well. Run game has missed Beebe. TE as passing option seems like good option as opponents have to fear and respect the crossing slants from the WRs.

Wow. Saw that thread title and thought they were talking about our national champion dance team.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

I finally did this past game too.

I wish we'd throw to the TEs more often.

Quote Originally Posted by El Amin Fan View Post
    Fleck mentioned on Sunday that he'd like to get better at having pass catching RB's. Passing to the TE just isn't going to be option A with the studs at WR and RB we have. Spann-Ford is really the only option to throw to out of the group and the other teams know that.

Maybe but we've got OL issues, only JUST recently saw some semblance of a running game, IMO that makes it challenging.

I wish we'd see the dance team more.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    I wish we'd see the dance team more.
    I remember a game where the refs started the game before the dance team was done.

The crowd was not happy.

Why are people in general so in love with the idea of throwing the ball to the tight ends?

The subject comes up over and over, and seems (to me at least) to be brought up by quite a few posters. Vikings fans talk about it, too.

What's the fascination? I have nothing against throwing to the tight ends, but overall I don't care who catches the passes... as long as the passing game is effective.
    Last edited by RememberMurray; 10-07-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Why are people in general so in love with the idea of throwing the ball to the tight ends?

The subject comes up over and over, and seems (to me at least) to be brought up by quite a few posters. Vikings fans talk about it, too.

What's the fascination? I have nothing against throwing to the tight ends, but I don't care who catches it... as long as the passing game is effective.
    Because when it works the TE usually dramatically outmatches the DB in size and typically we only notice it when the TE is wide open.....so I think it seems like it is really effective...but generally we don't notice when it doesn't work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post

What's the fascination? I have nothing against throwing to the tight ends, but overall I don't care who catches the passes... as long as the passing game is effective.
    Throwing to the tight ends gives the defense one more facet to have to defend. You will usually get a mismatch in size and speed with a linebacker or undersized defensive back. Imagine all the talent we have and adding in the wrinkle of a Max Williams having to be defended as well.

Rodney Smith, Tyler Johnson, Rishard Bateman, Chris Autman Bell and now you have to focus on a play making TE as well. Wow

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonTXGopher View Post
    Throwing to the tight ends gives the defense one more facet to have to defend. You will usually get a mismatch in size and speed with a linebacker or undersized defensive back. Imagine all the talent we have and adding in the wrinkle of a Max Williams having to be defended as well.

Rodney Smith, Tyler Johnson, Rishard Bateman, Chris Autman Bell and now you have to focus on a play making TE as well. Wow
    Not to mention, a big tight end with good hands can really help you finish in tight spaces
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Because when it works the TE usually dramatically outmatches the DB in size and typically we only notice it when the TE is wide open.....so I think it seems like it is really effective...but generally we don't notice when it doesn't work.
    There are so many jokes available for this one I’m...speechless.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    There are so many jokes available for this one I’m...speechless.
    Good, keep it that way.

I guess I just like to see Gopher touchdowns; don't have any preference as to who scores them. Don't care which position they play.

Back in '98, when the Vikings had "Three Deep" with Moss, Carter and Reed, I remember listening to the Vikings postgame call-in show after a Viking blowout win. The Purple had just finished scoring some insane number of points against a beleaguered defense.

The very first caller asked: "Why don't they throw to the tight end near the goal line?"
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".