Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    Wow! Really, Justin Amash is against Trump?? Alert the media that the former Republican who makes all of his money based on Chinese dealings has gone full #NeverTrump since the trade war with CHINA started. Old Justin's pocketbook got hurt. When the ribber met the road the votes of his constituency meant nothing and his pocketbook ruled.
    The point is that the US isn't actually pulling all troops out of Syria. Just moving them away from the border so Turkey can invade and attack the Kurds.

The WH statement says nothing about moving troops out of Syria. It basically just says that the US will allow the Turkish invasion.

Last edited by justthefacts; 10-07-2019 at 01:51 PM.

I’m willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt on this move, but I also believe that it could end up with unintended consequences. Hopefully, Turkey will honor its commitment not to destroy the Kurds, and Trump has threatened to take it out on Turkey economically if they do. I do feel for the Kurds b/c they sacrificed many lives fighting ISIS, but it’s not like they haven’t benefited from the US at great costs to us either, primarily by defeating Saddam Hussein.

Honestly though, I think this is more about a campaign promise than strategic thinking, b/c Trump hasn’t had much to point at as far as reducing military presence in foreign conflicts. It may end up costing us more later if ISIS is reconstituted or greater turmoil drags us back into the region under more difficult circumstances.

This is interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    This is interesting:
    I believe Trump thinks by holding the air space and the threat of crushing Turkey economically, it will deter them from attacking the Kurds.

We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    I believe Trump thinks by holding the air space and the threat of crushing Turkey economically, it will deter them from attacking the Kurds.

We shall see.
    Or they might attack the Kurds and face stiff resistance without air support. At any rate it seems it would make things tougher.

We shall see.
    Agree. The principal advisors on this strategy are Jared Kushner and Stephen Miller; so it’s a safe bet that the action is thoughtful and decisive.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

I see a lot of excuses here. Just bring everyone home. The US is awful at regime change. Its time to let go

Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post

Wait, what? The left has been singing the praises of Turkey & Erdogan for years. Now Turkey's not our ally? Does NATO know Turkey's not our ally?
    If at first you don’t succeed, then maybe you just suck. – Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by GoodasGold View Post
    Agree. The principal advisors on this strategy are Jared Kushner and Stephen Miller; so it’s a safe bet that the action is thoughtful and decisive.
    Unlike the brain power that have been advising us on our successes in Iraq & Afghanistan!

The truth is the American people voted for Trump in large part because they were sick of the same losing strategies in these situations. The million dollar question in who stands to gain by keeping us over there? That's who's objecting.

We shall see.

Not to worry, the UN is working in close cooperation with Turkey on this.

UN ready for close cooperation with Turkey on Syria operation:

"The United Nations is prepared for "very close" coordination with Turkey on a possible operation in Syria, the U.N. assistant secretary general said Monday."

"We would coordinate with Turkey very closely, we are ready for that, to make sure that there is good communication," Panos Moumtzis, who is also the regional humanitarian coordinator for the Syria crisis, told Anadolu Agency."

https://www.dailysabah.com/war-on-te...ey-on-syria-op

Here's the scorecard so far...

- UN = Allies
    - Turkey = Allies
    - Kurds = Allies