Parking + Tailgating = Positive Story

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
So I park in Lot 37.

In past years if I arrived later (hey folks got obligations and family man), but still plenty of time to make kickoff there were times where I had to weave my vehicle through the tailgating crowds to get an open spot.

I didn't like it, some tailgaters REALLY don't like it .... but that's what happens when tailgaters leave 5 spots between each of them and everyone takes the path of least resistance and parks close to the gate filling in spots in an unorganized manner... Like there's a spot next to your tailgating setup... someone is gonna fill that spot bub.

Anyway this year it seems the U has sort of pushed tailgaters out towards the further ends of the parking lot (granted some tailgaters always did this responsibly on their own so kudos to them), and reserved large blocks of parking spots near the entrance so for those of us arriving only an hour before kickoff we're not bothering anyone and can park with limited hassle.

Kudos to the U addressing it.

Granted to be clear it was always a minority of tailgaters who were jerks about the situation, many were helpful. One shared Row the Boat themed cookies with us while we waited to park once. My kids loved that.

Great take! We're slowly seeing changes that positively affect the gameday experience. Glad you're kids had a great experience too!

We get passes for Lot 37 for three games a year as it is a prime "tailgating" lot. While we are certainly not jerks about it, I have never understood why someone with a "tailgating" lot pass would show up 15-30 minutes before the game and be surprised people are tailgating and it will be difficult for them to weave their way through tables, grills and games. It kind of reminds me of the people who get upset if you are actually standing up and cheering during the game.

If it were me and I knew I couldn't use my "tailgating" lot pass to tailgate and was just planning to show up right before the game and “park,”I would sell my “tailgating” lot pass for $170 (what we paid for each of this weekend’s passes) and just Uber down and pocket the change. That way “tailgating” lot passes do not go to waste in creating a great pre-game college football experience.

Just my two cents.

We get passes for Lot 37 for three games a year as it is a prime "tailgating" lot. While we are certainly not jerks about it, I have never understood why someone with a "tailgating" lot pass would show up 15-30 minutes before the game and be surprised people are tailgating and it will be difficult for them to weave their way through tables, grills and games. It kind of reminds me of the people who get upset if you are actually standing up and cheering during the game.

If it were me and I knew I couldn't use my "tailgating" lot pass to tailgate and was just planning to show up right before the game and “park,”I would sell my “tailgating” lot pass for $170 (what we paid for each of this weekend’s passes) and just Uber down and pocket the change. That way “tailgating” lot passes do not go to waste in creating a great pre-game college football experience.

Just my two cents.

I'd say most folks in that lot from spot to spot are not tailgating. They just want to park close.

The tailgater's aversion to parking near each other and thus taking up a lot of space that ... someone is going to have to fit into seems to be its own issue.

Last edited:

I'd say most folks in that lot from spot to spot are not tailgating. They just want to park close.

The tailgater's aversion to parking near each other and thus taking up a lot of space that ... someone is going to have to fit into seems to be its own issue.

I disagree with your first assertion...at least for the last seven years we have been tailgating in Lot 37. It may seem that way when arriving 30 minutes before the game as many tailgaters have already spent 3-4 hours there and have packed up and headed into the stadium.

But I totally agree with your second point. We get two passes for each game and always park next to each other. Not sure why other tailgaters, who often arrive together, park with a space between their vehicles, as if it is their right to occupy another spot.

I think it might be beneficial for the U to make certain lots “tailgating” lots and others near the stadium, “I just want to park close” lots. That way people can purchase the appropriate lot they are looking for and get the experience they are looking for.

I disagree with your first assertion...at least for the last seven years we have been tailgating in Lot 37. It may seem that way when arriving 30 minutes before the game as many tailgaters have already spent 3-4 hours there and have packed up and headed into the stadium.

But I totally agree with your second point. We get two passes for each game and always park next to each other. Not sure why other tailgaters, who often arrive together, park with a space between their vehicles, as if it is their right to occupy another spot.

I think it might be beneficial for the U to make certain lots “tailgating” lots and others near the stadium, “I just want to park close” lots. That way people can purchase the appropriate lot they are looking for and get the experience they are looking for.

It seems like they're doing it to some extent but it probabbly would help to just encourage tailgaters like ... guies park next to each other ... it won't hurt you. And don't tailgate near the entrance if you don't like traffic, it's still a parking lot.

As for the rest yeah I disagree. I'm usually there hours early anyway, still lots of folks just parking IMO. As for an all tailgating lot I'm really not sure that would result in what tailgaters want....

Last edited:

There are a lot of people who aren't used to tighter parking spots in Minneapolis as opposed to their wide open expanses in the burbs.

But overall not a problem exclusive to gophers, seen same issue when I've TG for vikings.

As to people who pay for the convenience of being close not TG, that's on them and their right.

TCF needs to make tailgating more accessible, not less.

I just refuse to pay premium, so end up at nearby bars

Plus, when TG, I don't want to be one driving. I just want to show up, because I don't want to worry about drive home, and most of my group is in same boat...public transport/lyft it is and off to Stubs

TCF needs to make tailgating more accessible, not less.

I just refuse to pay premium, so end up at nearby bars

Plus, when TG, I don't want to be one driving. I just want to show up, because I don't want to worry about drive home, and most of my group is in same boat...public transport/lyft it is and off to Stubs

So you want to tailgate ... but don't want to.

Maybe the problem has been fixed. I haven't noticed anyone running over a corn hole board this year. I saw it happen two times last year alone.

I will give you the complete opposite opinion. What has resulted is a group of parking attendants who think they are boss and completely unprofessional to the guests (us). You state that you come late and didn't like having to weave through lot to park. While I completely respect that reason for change, there is one overriding issue that has bubbled to the top this year and I have taken my feedback to the department. I am not stating my opinion is that important; but my feedback is quite the opposite.

We have been parking for 8 years in LOT C37. As my kids have grown older conflicts have arisen and we do our best to get to tailgate. We share duties with another long time Gopher fan couple and rotate hosting duties. There have been 4 times in the past 3 years where I have brought my family with me to tailgate and spend time together, before I go into the game with my son and my wife leaves with our daughters. We have managed to build a family tradition of tailgating and rooting for the Gophers.

However, the Parking attendants to so little to help and are unbelievably disrespectful. Three weeks ago, for the 4th time I arrived and stated to the parking agent that was trying to lead me into the midst of people that I would love if they could send me towards an area where my wife and kids can leave when they need to get to anther obligation. I look around and see how people don't respect the rules, make lanes unpassable and can be very disrespectful in the same manner when a car tries to leave early. I have been told every time to basically be quiet, park where we say and we don't care about your situation. Keep in mind we pay $1000 for the right to even buy a pass and do so with the intention of supporting our team. Each time they park us where we can't get out, ignore our request for help and are so "power" hungry it is riduculous. I appreciate they put up with lots of crap on a weekly basis, but each time I have explained why I am asking for help and they say "you should have come earlier" or "you will get out". This is a disregard for my family, and more importantly those tailgating around. In what name of safety is causing people to move, upsetting people being inconvenienced and creating a potentially hostile situation when the drunk tailgater says "where are you going" or whatever.

I was never more frustrated than three weeks ago when this happened. We are fans, we are donors, we support the U and the mission to make a great environment. But it doesn't always work to stay the entire time and they have ZERO common sense when it comes to listening and being respectful to the customer. I have given up at this point and nearly every person I have told this to agrees how ridiculous it is.

So I appreciate the luck you have had and I am happy that has changed. But as for the rest of us; much of the feedback has been how they are power hungry and not at all cooperative when it comes to a common sense question and request. Even one that is present respectfully. Just my 2 cents; not trying to come from an entitled position just frustrated what they put my wife and 5 and 7 year old daughter through. We are all trying to support and build a fan base for the future.

I do give the U credit for trying absolutely and I don't believe the actions of a few are representative of their mission to make the Game Day experience better.

I will give you the complete opposite opinion. What has resulted is a group of parking attendants who think they are boss and completely unprofessional to the guests (us). You state that you come late and didn't like having to weave through lot to park. While I completely respect that reason for change, there is one overriding issue that has bubbled to the top this year and I have taken my feedback to the department. I am not stating my opinion is that important; but my feedback is quite the opposite.

We have been parking for 8 years in LOT C37. As my kids have grown older conflicts have arisen and we do our best to get to tailgate. We share duties with another long time Gopher fan couple and rotate hosting duties. There have been 4 times in the past 3 years where I have brought my family with me to tailgate and spend time together, before I go into the game with my son and my wife leaves with our daughters. We have managed to build a family tradition of tailgating and rooting for the Gophers.

However, the Parking attendants to so little to help and are unbelievably disrespectful. Three weeks ago, for the 4th time I arrived and stated to the parking agent that was trying to lead me into the midst of people that I would love if they could send me towards an area where my wife and kids can leave when they need to get to anther obligation. I look around and see how people don't respect the rules, make lanes unpassable and can be very disrespectful in the same manner when a car tries to leave early. I have been told every time to basically be quiet, park where we say and we don't care about your situation. Keep in mind we pay $1000 for the right to even buy a pass and do so with the intention of supporting our team. Each time they park us where we can't get out, ignore our request for help and are so "power" hungry it is riduculous. I appreciate they put up with lots of crap on a weekly basis, but each time I have explained why I am asking for help and they say "you should have come earlier" or "you will get out". This is a disregard for my family, and more importantly those tailgating around. In what name of safety is causing people to move, upsetting people being inconvenienced and creating a potentially hostile situation when the drunk tailgater says "where are you going" or whatever.

I was never more frustrated than three weeks ago when this happened. We are fans, we are donors, we support the U and the mission to make a great environment. But it doesn't always work to stay the entire time and they have ZERO common sense when it comes to listening and being respectful to the customer. I have given up at this point and nearly every person I have told this to agrees how ridiculous it is.

So I appreciate the luck you have had and I am happy that has changed. But as for the rest of us; much of the feedback has been how they are power hungry and not at all cooperative when it comes to a common sense question and request. Even one that is present respectfully. Just my 2 cents; not trying to come from an entitled position just frustrated what they put my wife and 5 and 7 year old daughter through. We are all trying to support and build a fan base for the future.

I do give the U credit for trying absolutely and I don't believe the actions of a few are representative of their mission to make the Game Day experience better.

If folks are blocking the exits ... I don't think that's just '"power" hungry' parking attendants fault ....

I am sorry you have had crummy luck with this. The bolded line is classic Minnesotan, similar to when we all complain about having to get on an airplane and get delayed for 15 minutes. This issue will happen anywhere there is parking of cars with then large crowds of people standing (just like the state fair when its damn near impossible for police to get to something due to the large number of bodies). The issue is you can't protocolize the concept of someone leaving the lot as where do you draw the line? If they let you park wherever you need to, they'll have to reopen the free parking everywhere. While it may be common sense to you, it has repercussions. As far as people parking like dinks and being in the way, this sounds like its not the lot peoples' fault (and almost arguing for them to be stricter and less lenient) but rather fellow fans who frankly probably don't care that you have to leave. I get you're requesting for a more accommodating situation, but trying to move large volumes of people who are actively drinking and having a good time in a tailgate lot that is emphasized around car tailgating is not going to go well no matter where it is done at (same as it is at NDSU, who has a similar scheme as us). That isn't to say they shouldn't listen to what you have to say, I just don't foresee there is anything that is overly changeable about this situation

Last edited:

Well technically they aren't doing their jobs. If they were so set on their militant ways they would be keeping people behind the lines and a passable through way. That is gone out the window this year. I actually have ZERO problem with this. I think they should pack the TAILGATERS in with TAILGATERS. But there are many people who either can't stay the entire time, can't tailgate at all, or have other reasons to still have the reason to use the pass they have purchased.

The solution is actually quite easy. If you aren't going to tailgate, direct to an area away from the masses where they tailgate ends up. (Packed on the edges and upper part). I am 100% fine with this. My issue is as a paying parker you should have every right to leave early. It isn't hard, it isn't rocket science and it is a simple solution. Especially for those, which is EVERYONE, who donate heavily to the U of MN. Just because we park there doesn't mean we have to tailgate there. There are easy solutions, as those in the department I have shared this with. I am not looking to be confrontational or in my own bubble. I think we explained. I have pictures of how ridiculous the area we would have had to drive through to even try and exit.

I shared this an example of a counter to some improvements; should have known how the comments would come. I wasn't criticizing anyone's comments; rather the methods and I believe visited each side of the issue. Guess that can't be done in this forum.

Well technically they aren't doing their jobs. If they were so set on their militant ways they would be keeping people behind the lines and a passable through way. That is gone out the window this year. I actually have ZERO problem with this. I think they should pack the TAILGATERS in with TAILGATERS. But there are many people who either can't stay the entire time, can't tailgate at all, or have other reasons to still have the reason to use the pass they have purchased.

The solution is actually quite easy. If you aren't going to tailgate, direct to an area away from the masses where they tailgate ends up. (Packed on the edges and upper part). I am 100% fine with this. My issue is as a paying parker you should have every right to leave early. It isn't hard, it isn't rocket science and it is a simple solution. Especially for those, which is EVERYONE, who donate heavily to the U of MN. Just because we park there doesn't mean we have to tailgate there. There are easy solutions, as those in the department I have shared this with. I am not looking to be confrontational or in my own bubble. I think we explained. I have pictures of how ridiculous the area we would have had to drive through to even try and exit.

I shared this an example of a counter to some improvements; should have known how the comments would come. I wasn't criticizing anyone's comments; rather the methods and I believe visited each side of the issue. Guess that can't be done in this forum.

The only problem being that everyone in that lot has the right to tailgate in every spot for their $1000. Gonna take that away? Don’t like that.

What happens when the late arriver pops open his tailgate and decides to go in after the first quarter (for whatever reason). Gonna take that away? Don’t like that.

Unfortunately, in a free society, you’re going to have selfish jerks. On both sides.

I can see people aren't going to read and jump to their conclusions.

I simply asked if they would park us towards the exit, in an orderly fashion. If to your point someone comes in late, it is a free country, Tailgate away. But when I calmly explain, my wife will be leaving at 1:30 pm to take my daughter to her softball game, can we please park where we don't have to inconvenience others (driving through their tailgates) and towards and area where you will be parking cars LAST in you orderly process.

If to your point someone pulls in and pops their trunk....AWESOME that is one person to drive around not an entire lot of people who have been consuming alcohol for 3-4 hours. Let them have their fun, let my family be safe, and lets BOTH be courteous to the circumstance. Common sense isn't hard; it isn't always PERFECT, but the point is there was no listening or care for any concern brought up.

I can see people aren't going to read and jump to their conclusions.

I simply asked if they would park us towards the exit, in an orderly fashion. If to your point someone comes in late, it is a free country, Tailgate away. But when I calmly explain, my wife will be leaving at 1:30 pm to take my daughter to her softball game, can we please park where we don't have to inconvenience others (driving through their tailgates) and towards and area where you will be parking cars LAST in you orderly process.

If to your point someone pulls in and pops their trunk....AWESOME that is one person to drive around not an entire lot of people who have been consuming alcohol for 3-4 hours. Let them have their fun, let my family be safe, and lets BOTH be courteous to the circumstance. Common sense isn't hard; it isn't always PERFECT, but the point is there was no listening or care for any concern brought up.

To me, that reads as, from the standpoint of the parking attendant, "I have been informed by the University this is the policy and I cannot let you park there as I do not get to make these decisions. We have been told people need to move away from the entrance in order to fulfill a more fruitful tailgating atmosphere." I agree it isn't always common sense, but this is the issue from the other side, who wanted to get people moved into the lot and to fill spots (which the U wants as well, as it increases number of people in the lot and should make a more cohesive atmosphere). I remember a few years ago the number of complaints about how spread out the tailgaters were and how it made for a worse experience as you were always having to navigate around people. I get it, it sucks for you on those occasions. But this isn't on the parking lot staff as they're just employing the policies/parameters the U set forth without getting yelled at

Top Bottom