Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Richard Pitino: P.J. Fleck is Doing a ‘phenomenal’ Job with Gophers Football

per Paul:

Richard Pitino is definitely not a fan of moving the schedule up earlier and earlier every year. To the Minnesota basketball coach, right now is football season, and he’s enjoying the undefeated start of P.J. Fleck’s Gopher football team.

“I think what P.J. has done now going into his third year is phenomenal,” said Pitino at Big Ten Media Day to The Sports Bank.

“What I’ve always admired about him is he has a plan, he’s sticking to it, he’s confident in it. You’re seeing it, sometimes the wins come last.”

https://www.thesportsbank.net/colleg...hers-football/

Go Gophers!!

Pitino attempting to distract columnists to look at PJ.

If anything, complimenting PJ's success in only his 3rd year would only further highlight the "lack" of success achieved by him now going into his 7th. Can't a coach just compliment another coach?

Blog Entries

Correction. Year 2.

Year 1 was Year Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlood666 View Post
    If anything, complimenting PJ's success in only his 3rd year would only further highlight the "lack" of success achieved by him now going into his 7th. Can't a coach just compliment another coach?
    I thought my sarcasm level was pretty high! Apparently not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlood666 View Post
    Two NCAA appearances are not a lack of success... And last year's 6-6, just make a bowl game, is not overwhelmingly successful for PJ.

We can all spin things. Both of our coaches have a bright future.

Blog Entries

I quite like Pitino, he is far more interesting and honest than most coaches. I hope he succeeds.

I ma ok with Fleck as well. Yes, he is flaky but maybe that is what Minnesota needs. I may be wrong but I don`t think Fleck will leave if he gets a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnipegopher View Post
    I quite like Pitino, he is far more interesting and honest than most coaches. I hope he succeeds.

I ma ok with Fleck as well. Yes, he is flaky but maybe that is what Minnesota needs. I may be wrong but I don`t think Fleck will leave if he gets a chance.
    I'm not sure "flaky" is the right word choice here. PJ and his wife do a ton of charity work and give back to the community. He supports other areas of the university including the band. His team has the highest GPA and academic success rate of any football team in our lifetimes. That doesn't sound like "flaky" to me. That sounds like he is delivering on what he preaches.

Maybe you were thinking "corny" instead of "flaky"? I can see some staid Minnesotans calling him corny, but flaky applies to Lou Holtz, not PJ Fleck.

I, for one, am really high on all of our programs right now. I was a Fleck doubter, but he's changed my mind. Glad to be wrong about him. As far as Pitino, I wasn't sold on him until after his first season. Realized he was a clear upgrade over Tubby Smith. Since then, Pitino has shown he can field a Top 15 program if things go our way. To me, that says a lot about Pitino's capabilities. Really happy with both programs (and all the other Gophers teams for that matter)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post
    I'm not sure "flaky" is the right word choice here. PJ and his wife do a ton of charity work and give back to the community. He supports other areas of the university including the band. His team has the highest GPA and academic success rate of any football team in our lifetimes. That doesn't sound like "flaky" to me. That sounds like he is delivering on what he preaches.

Maybe you were thinking "corny" instead of "flaky"? I can see some staid Minnesotans calling him corny, but flaky applies to Lou Holtz, not PJ Fleck.
    I was thinking of the Merriam Webster definition:

Definition of flaky (Entry 2 of 2)
    1: markedly odd or unconventional : offbeat, wacky

But a quick google search does show negative connotations to the term flaky. FWIW, I don't see Fleck as corny- to me that implies a stereotypical over the top old school persona (Jerry Kill was corny). Anyways I guess I should have used 'unconventional" instead of "flaky".

Quote Originally Posted by Winnipegopher View Post
    I was thinking of the Merriam Webster definition:

Definition of flaky (Entry 2 of 2)
    1: markedly odd or unconventional : offbeat, wacky

But a quick google search does show negative connotations to the term flaky. FWIW, I don't see Fleck as corny- to me that implies a stereotypical over the top old school persona (Jerry Kill was corny). Anyways I guess I should have used 'unconventional" instead of "flaky".
    All good. I guess when I think of "flaky" I think of people who can't be trusted to follow through on their word, break plans, speak out of both sides of their mouths, etc.

Blog Entries

All good. I guess when I think of "flaky" I think of people who can't be trusted to follow through on their word, break plans, speak out of both sides of their mouths, etc.
    Yes, your take was similar to other definitions and more prevalent than mine (I had to look for it).

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers612 View Post
    Realized he was a clear upgrade over Tubby Smith.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    LOL!
    LOL!

I think of seeing excessive dandruff in one’s hair, which I thought was a poor description for Fleck.