Changed your prediction of Gophers W-L record based on 6 weeks of the season?

GridironGus

Reaction score
Have the results of College Football's first six weeks changed where you thought the Gophers would finish?
I figured they'd be 5-0 right now but I thought (like everyone else) that they would have been more dominant vs South Dakota State and Georgia Southern.
I had thought we had a good chance to win vs Penn State and Wisconsin at home based on grad losses and new QBs at those schools. But PSU and UW are playing so well that I think there's only a slim chance in both games.
Until yesterday, I thought we only had a very slim chance in Iowa City, but the Hawkeyes only had one rushing yard and three points in the Big House, so I feel like the Gophers have a decent chance in that game.
I feel more confident about a win vs Nebraska next week based on how the Huskers have played and the fact Martinez got hurt. That guy scares me. We have a really, really good chance to win at Northwestern.
Maryland, I can't figure out. Before the season I thought we'd win based on their graduation losses and the revenge factor. Then the Terps looked so good in their first two games. I thought Oh-Oh, maybe it will be a repeat of last year's game in College Park. Then the Terps laid an egg against Temple and got killed by Penn State and I was back to being really confident. Then, even though Rutgers is bad, 48-7 is pretty dominant. So I'm back to being unsure of that game.

What about you? How do you feel about the Gophers final record now after seeing what their future opponents have done so far?

I picked them to go 9-3.

If anything, I'm more optimistic now than I was then.

The way they looked against inferior opponents during non-conference really had me concerned. But what I’ve seen over the past few weeks has me optimistic that we are capable of beating any team on our schedule. The team has proven they can win in a multitude of ways. Last second clutch plays — check. Ground and pound running attack — check. Aerial assault — check. Now, can they do it consistently? That remains to be seen. If I’m an opposing coach game planning for the Gophers I would be extremely uncomfortable. They can be a dangerous team and have shown the ability to take advantage of what other teams scheme to beat them. If they continue the momentum over the next three games I like their chances on any given week.

I think this week vs Nebraska will tell us a lot. Originally I was not sure we would beat Fresno on the road or Purdue. The start of the season was shaky and we were close to losing a few of them. Team looks much more unified now and is playing much better football since big ten started. Beat the Huskers! I think 9 wins is realistic.

Wisconsin struggled against a team with no QB (Northwestern). They had a nice win over Michigan, who was slumping at the time, but their other wins were against very bad teams. I’m not completely sold on them yet. Our game against them to close out the season could easily end up being for the West title.

I’ll say 9-10 wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with 9+ wins before the season.
Expected 5-0 then 8-0.
Was concerned at 3-0.
Not so concerned at 5-0.
I’m sticking with my original prediction.

I had predicted 8 as a floor and 10 as a ceiling. I’ll stick with that but hope for more

No change. I had predicted 9-3 with wins up until a loss to Maryland. I feel more confident that it will happen because 5 of them are already banked, but the team looks slightly weaker than I expected.

I had predicted 8 as a floor and 10 as a ceiling. I’ll stick with that but hope for more

I said the exact same thing. This team has some moxie and if the run game continues to get on track and the D plays like it did yesterday I like our chances in about any game. Exciting times! Only have been waiting 40+ years as a fan for a chance.

I predicted 1-0 in the SDSU season.
Then I was 50-50 on the Fresno St season.
Then I was 1-0 in the GSU season.
Then I was 50-50 on our chances in the Purdue season.
Then for Illinois, I was thinking 1-0 in the Illinois season.

Now none of that matters.
It's all about the Nebraska season and I'm 50-50 on that one.

Coming in I think I felt confident about 5 of the seasons.
About 50-50 on 5 other seasons.
And doubtful on 2 seasons.

At this point, I'm still doubtful on 2 seasons.
I have one season left I feel 1-0 about.
And four seasons that are 50-50.

I predicted 1-0 in the SDSU season.
Then I was 50-50 on the Fresno St season.
Then I was 1-0 in the GSU season.
Then I was 50-50 on our chances in the Purdue season.
Then for Illinois, I was thinking 1-0 in the Illinois season.

Now none of that matters.
It's all about the Nebraska season and I'm 50-50 on that one.

Coming in I think I felt confident about 5 of the seasons.
About 50-50 on 5 other seasons.
And doubtful on 2 seasons.

At this point, I'm still doubtful on 2 seasons.
I have one season left I feel 1-0 about.
And four seasons that are 50-50.

I think Fleck's "season" thing makes a lot of sense for players and coaches.

But for us fans? Nah. We're fans. That word was derived from fanatic.

I think if you keep calling each game a season, here on a fan board, it might get tiresome.

Early prediction 9.
Current projection 9 or more.

I am changing my prediction to 12-0. #hopelessoptimists

I said 9 wins. Sticking with it.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

C'mon - it's not "season," it's "SZN." gotta get with the times.

On Record - at this point, I'll go with 9-3. That includes one unexpected loss and one unexpected win. don't ask me which game - I just think they'll lose at least one game we don't expect, and win at least one game we don't expect. If there are no unexpected losses, that would indicate that Fleck is doing something different, because the Gophers always have at least one loss that defies expectations.

But, if they go 9-3 and win a Bowl Game for a 10-3 final record, I would consider that a very successful season.

Early prediction: 4-5 in Big Ten play for a chance for a bowl and an 8-5 overall record for a very nice improvement.

Now, at 2-0 in Big Ten play and with 7 Big Ten games to play I feel a "flip plus one" in my early prediction is possible. A 5-4 Big Ten record is most probable and a 6-3 Big Ten record certainly is within reach of the Gopher Football Team. I see a very nice bowl game in the cards. With a bowl game clearly in the picture and the HEART this GOPHER is displaying, a 9 or even a 10 win season very well may be possible. Beat the stinking badger and the stinking hawkeye GOPHER. Well done to the coaching staff and the players.This will be a good season for this football program! Appreciate what you are seeing, people. This "old dog" is certainly appreciating a good, solid foundation for GOPHER FOOTBALL rising before my tired, old eyes.

And: hat's off to Coach Fleck! in his third season he may improve his overall Big Ten winning percentage from .278 at the end of his second season to .370 or .407 by going 5-4 or 6-3 in the Big Ten this season. THAT would be an incredible accomplishment. Believe Gopher Players and Gopher Fans. This is going to be a memorable season. We can never ask for more than that! I'm pretty pumped! I have been skeptical the past two years, and still go by the number of Big Ten wins...but I never argue with the numbers. Good luck GOPHER! Improvement IS improvement and in this case, I consider what the numbers are telling me to be MUCH IMPROVEMENT.

Last edited:

I think Fleck's "season" thing makes a lot of sense for players and coaches.

But for us fans? Nah. We're fans. That word was derived from fanatic.

I think if you keep calling each game a season, here on a fan board, it might get tiresome.

So I thought we could be anywhere from 5-7 to 9-3.
Right now 6-6 (Rutgers) should be the new floor.

Nebraska will be a big factor.
Northwestern will be a big game.
Maryland looks like it should be a win since we seem to be able to tackle, unlike last year when we played them. (And a home game).

Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn St.
Win one. Good season.
Win two, very good season.
Win three, great season.

Expectation was 8 wins before seeing the team play a snap. Hopeful for more.

I’d say...still same scenario. I’m going to make Murray’s head explode but still have some concern in terms of protection and run blocking going against better defenses, ie Iowa, PSU, NU, WI. It’s going to be tough sledding. That doesn’t mean we can’t knock off any of them because this team does have that potential but I’m not going to bet the house on it.

I reserve the right to change my opinion in a week to week basis.

I believe I predicted 8 wins before the season. I think 9 regular season wins is very doable now.

No, my expectations have not changed.

Still think 12-0. Thought Penn State would take step back with a lot of early draft, transfer guys but they look good so far. Thought Wisconsin would take step back, but they have looked good. Thought Maryland would be worse than they have been. Still taking a pass on College Football Playoffs in exchange for Rose Bowl bid.

Still think 12-0. Thought Penn State would take step back with a lot of early draft, transfer guys but they look good so far. Thought Wisconsin would take step back, but they have looked good. Thought Maryland would be worse than they have been. Still taking a pass on College Football Playoffs in exchange for Rose Bowl bid.

YES!!!! No Rose Bowl in my 55+ years on earth. That's my dream!

I thought anything less than 9 wins would be a big disappointment.
No reason to change that now.

Now: I think 10 wins is the most likely outcome with a floor of 8 and a ceiling of 11

At the beginning of this season: I thought 8 wins with a floor of 7 and a ceiling of 9.

My hopes are officially way up and my expectations have improved a bit as well.

They need to take care of business this week though because Nebraska is going to come to play.

Last edited:

I can't remember what I predicted before although I remember the range I was pretty confident on was 5-10 wins. Now I think 9 wins is the most likely and I'm pretty confident it will be 8 to 10 wins.

No change in what I thought, and pleased we’re 5-0.

I think I had us at 8 wins. 9 seems more likely now. 10 will take wining the next three games and I don't think we'll do that.

Hoped they would win six, now they have a shot at eight (or nine with a bowl win). Penn State, Wisconsin and Iowa will be very tough opponents - and Maryland and Northwestern just a shade behind them. Nebraska is a toss up.

Top Bottom