Tony Dungy 'rowing the boat,' fired up about Minnesota's 5-0 start

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

One of the legends of Minnesota football is issuing his support to his former program after a 5-0 start for the Golden Gophers.

Former Minnesota quarterback and NFL head coach Tony Dungy issued a congratulatory message for Minnesota on Saturday following the team’s 40-17 win over Illinois. The Golden Gophers are off to their first 5-0 start since the 2004 season.

“Congratulations to the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers who ran their record to 5-0 today with an impressive win over Illinois,” Dungy wrote. “We are going to have some big games in the second half of the season!”

Dungy followed that tweet up by also saying he’s “rowing” as hard as he can.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...the-boat-fired-up-about-minnesotas-5-0-start/

Go Gophers!!

per Dustin:

One of the legends of Minnesota football is issuing his support to his former program after a 5-0 start for the Golden Gophers.

Former Minnesota quarterback and NFL head coach Tony Dungy issued a congratulatory message for Minnesota on Saturday following the team’s 40-17 win over Illinois. The Golden Gophers are off to their first 5-0 start since the 2004 season.

“Congratulations to the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers who ran their record to 5-0 today with an impressive win over Illinois,” Dungy wrote. “We are going to have some big games in the second half of the season!”

Dungy followed that tweet up by also saying he’s “rowing” as hard as he can.

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...the-boat-fired-up-about-minnesotas-5-0-start/

Go Gophers!!

There are times it's easy to tell that Tony Dungy isn't a born Minnesotan.

It's easily apparent when he gets all enthusiastic like this.

Tony, please; the proper, allowable Minnesotan responses to a huge win and a 5-0 record are as follows:

"Ya. Not too bad."

"Ya, well.. could be worse, I guess."

"Let's not get too excited, now."

"They'll probably lose next week."

"Let's just slow our roll."

"I'm not poppin' any champagne corks just yet".

"Well, at least they finally threw it to the big tight end."

There are times it's easy to tell that Tony Dungy isn't a born Minnesotan.

It's easily apparent when he gets all enthusiastic like this.

Tony, please; the proper, allowable Minnesotan responses to a huge win and a 5-0 record are as follows:

"Ya. Not too bad."

"Ya, well.. could be worse, I guess."

"Let's not get too excited, now."

"They'll probably lose next week."

"Let's just slow our roll."

"I'm not poppin' any champagne corks just yet".

"Well, at least they finally threw it to the big tight end."

Ha ha not too bad there. In all seriousness I’d guess interest and chili factor is going to be pretty high next weekend. Win that one and casual fans will start to take notice. THEN the next weekend is when the wheels typically come off in spectacular fashion (but not this time my friend....). This team seems to be improving in all areas, could make a nice run down the stretch.

I was returning to Atlanta on a flight yesterday after visiting family in the Twin Cities. There was a guy sitting behind me that started up a college football conversation with a fellow passenger. He was most definitely a Minnesotan (based on his accent and the way he represented himself). Other guy was from somewhere in the Southeast. I can’t be sure of where, but he was clearly an SEC rube. Minnesota guy starts out by saying he’s taking his kid to an upcoming LSU game and hopes they continue to win so the game atmosphere is electric. As a guy taking his son to his first Gopher game this week against Nebraska I though this was great. But Minnesota guy then goes on to trash the Gopher program going on and on about how we can’t sell-out a 50k seat stadium, our best players couldn’t make the roster of an SEC team, etc., etc. I nearly interjected, but had my 8-year-old daughter sitting next to me so thought better if it.

I was returning to Atlanta on a flight yesterday after visiting family in the Twin Cities. There was a guy sitting behind me that started up a college football conversation with a fellow passenger. He was most definitely a Minnesotan (based on his accent and the way he represented himself). Other guy was from somewhere in the Southeast. I can’t be sure of where, but he was clearly an SEC rube. Minnesota guy starts out by saying he’s taking his kid to an upcoming LSU game and hopes they continue to win so the game atmosphere is electric. As a guy taking his son to his first Gopher game this week against Nebraska I though this was great. But Minnesota guy then goes on to trash the Gopher program going on and on about how we can’t sell-out a 50k seat stadium, our best players couldn’t make the roster of an SEC team, etc., etc. I nearly interjected, but had my 8-year-old daughter sitting next to me so thought better if it.

what would you have corrected him about this? he's right.

It’s okay to be a fan of your hometown team. And also accentuate the positives about what’s happening over the past 2 years with Gopher football. They will allow you back in the state. I promise.

Minnesotans: we're just different. Must be the weather... or the mosquitos.

No wonder KFAN does so well.

It’s okay to be a fan of your hometown team. And also accentuate the positives about what’s happening over the past 2 years with Gopher football. They will allow you back in the state. I promise.

Is it OK to be a fan of your hometown team and also accentuate the negatives about what’s happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEC fans IME and in general terms are among the more obnoxious to have a conversation with - can admit Saban’s dominance in recent years but it’s fun to bring up weak schedules, bad Bowl seasons or particularly losses to G5 teams, overrating of recruits, historical oversigning and other recruiting issues to see some sputtering...I mean unless you really wanted to be friends.

Is it OK to be a fan of your hometown team and also accentuate the negatives about what’s happening?

Of course. But the self flagellation was typical and rather nauseating. I don’t find it necessary to roll over and ask for a belly scratch from SEC fans. I’ve lived among them for nearly 15 years.

Of course. But the self flagellation was typical and rather nauseating. I don’t find it necessary to roll over and ask for a belly scratch from SEC fans. I’ve lived among them for nearly 15 years.

You nailed it.

If you're yearning to hear a negative slant after a big win, just ask most Minnesotans. They'll be happy to give you all you need.

Also, if you have an unmet need to read about how formidable an upcoming Gopher opponent is, you've come to the right place at Gopher Hole. Until, that is, the Gophers actually beat the team in question; at that point, the opponent suddenly sinks into mediocrity.

I don't think anyone minds pointing out negatives. That's part of any intelligent, reasonable, honest discussion about any topic or issue. However, "accentuating" the negatives, as you put it, is something else altogether.

You nailed it.

If you're yearning to hear a negative slant after a big win, just ask most Minnesotans. They'll be happy to give you all you need.

Also, if you have an unmet need to read about how formidable an upcoming Gopher opponent is, you've come to the right place at Gopher Hole. Until, that is, the Gophers actually beat the team in question; at that point, the opponent suddenly sinks into mediocrity.

Do you think it's the same fans saying both of these things, though?

I think we have half who talk pre-game. Worried about if we can win.
Then the other half talks post game. Yeh, we won, but they weren't good.

Being aware of/recognizing the negative seems reasonable to me

Accentuating the negative seems rather circle-jerkulatory

You nailed it.

Agree 100%. It’s like wash, rinse, repeat. There’s a big world out there. And it’s not full of people who obsess over what is wrong, what could go wrong, what should be wrong and excuses made for why they are inferior to everyone else in the neighborhood.

What I hear is a group of people that don’t like when others do things differently than what they think “should be done”. You can spin it however you want, but you are trying to define the ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ way to be a fan.

What I hear is a group of people that don’t like when others do things differently than what they think “should be done”. You can spin it however you want, but you are trying to define the ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ way to be a fan.

Are you talking to me?

Are you talking to me?

There is a large voice on this site that thinks everything should be positive. It drives them nuts when folks are negative. It encourages me to be more negative. I’d be willing to bet I’m a bigger fan than many of them too. I’ll let you decide if you are in that group or not.

You also believe that not a single player on the Gophers roster would not make the roster for LSU or other teams in the SEC? You only picked out one part of what he said.

Also, interjecting is not the same as correcting.

Where I draw the line is when it seems like a "fan" is enjoying it when their team does poorly. I think it's perfectly fine to be critical and a realist but I'm not sure someone is truly a fan of they are enjoying it when their supposed team loses. I'm not saying that is anyone part of the discussion in this thread but I have friends and acquaintances that are like that sometimes.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Where I draw the line is when it seems like a "fan" is enjoying it when their team does poorly. I think it's perfectly fine to be critical and a realist but I'm not sure someone is truly a fan of they are enjoying it when their supposed team loses. I'm not saying that is anyone part of the discussion in this thread but I have friends and acquaintances that are like that sometimes.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I would agree that enjoying a loss would make me think they aren’t actually a fan of that team. However, that isn’t what we are discussing here.

It’s pretty human to lash out at any convenient target when things aren’t going well (pick a topic). If anyone thinks that’s ever going to change for 80-90% of the population, well...

There is a large voice on this site that thinks everything should be positive. It drives them nuts when folks are negative. It encourages me to be more negative. I’d be willing to bet I’m a bigger fan than many of them too. I’ll let you decide if you are in that group or not.

I agree that being a zealot on either side of that coin is not a good thing. But we’ve only been 5 - 0, what, something like four times in the last 50 years? Regardless of how we’ve gotten there, I would tend to give those with maroon colored glasses a little more leash.

Interesting tangent this thread took. Change it to a similar conversation about Vikes, Gophs BBall, Wild or T'wolves and...

Do you think it's the same fans saying both of these things, though?

I think we have half who talk pre-game. Worried about if we can win.
Then the other half talks post game. Yeh, we won, but they weren't good.

Don't know. Seems like two sides of the same coin.

It's weird, though; when certain things have happened, Minnesota fans have been the best, most enthusiastic fans imaginable. Case(s) in point: the Twins two World Series victories. I mean, this state was ecstatic. It was electric. It was wonderful.

There was no "hedging-our-bets" nonsense back then, either. The entire state was all-in as the Twins approached the playoffs. The buildup to the playoffs, the playoff series, the World Series (both years) — the fan support was unbelievable, unshakeable, for the whole thing.

Maybe it was a different time, and a different generation of fans.

I agree that being a zealot on either side of that coin is not a good thing. But we’ve only been 5 - 0, what, something like four times in the last 50 years? Regardless of how we’ve gotten there, I would tend to give those with maroon colored glasses a little more leash.

Don't sunshine on our rainy Minnesota parade!

Agree completely. Damn, i would be miserable in a fan sense if i could not enjoy being 5-0. I never wear maroon colored glasses because i prefer to see reality, never make excuses, but 5-0 is rare and i am thrilled. Also enjoy how Fleck brings his players along. Had a wonderful time this weekend. FYI, Gophers have dozens of guys that could play at LSU.

Top Bottom