Tony Dungy 'rowing the boat,' fired up about Minnesota's 5-0 start

There is a large voice on this site that thinks everything should be positive. It drives them nuts when folks are negative. It encourages me to be more negative. I’d be willing to bet I’m a bigger fan than many of them too. I’ll let you decide if you are in that group or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but they're only like that with the current HC. More than willing to trash others. It's comical at times.

Yeah but they're only like that with the current HC. More than willing to trash others. It's comical at times.

Not true. This site has been very supportive of Gopher coaches including Mason, Brewster, Kill, and Claeys. At some point the coaches have lost the support. We fired a 9 win coach which I don't necessarily agree with in theory. I just don't think TC had a chance to be successful. You can be a great coaching mind but you gotta get in living rooms and win recruiting battles. TC was not that guy. If we didn't have a lame duck interim AD he would never have been given the job. TC's 9 win season was a lot of fun but he was not the future of Gopher football.

Not true. This site has been very supportive of Gopher coaches including Mason, Brewster, Kill, and Claeys. At some point the coaches have lost the support. We fired a 9 win coach which I don't necessarily agree with in theory. I just don't think TC had a chance to be successful. You can be a great coaching mind but you gotta get in living rooms and win recruiting battles. TC was not that guy. If we didn't have a lame duck interim AD he would never have been given the job. TC's 9 win season was a lot of fun but he was not the future of Gopher football.

Proved my point with your post. Thanks.

Don't know. Seems like two sides of the same coin.

It's weird, though; when certain things have happened, Minnesota fans have been the best, most enthusiastic fans imaginable. Case(s) in point: the Twins two World Series victories. I mean, this state was ecstatic. It was electric. It was wonderful.

There was no "hedging-our-bets" nonsense back then, either. The entire state was all-in as the Twins approached the playoffs. The buildup to the playoffs, the playoff series, the World Series (both years) — the fan support was unbelievable, unshakeable, for the whole thing.

Maybe it was a different time, and a different generation of fans.

I think that is definitely true. But one thing to consider is we have access to boat loads of information that the average fan didn’t have back in the day. We have instant access to all sorts of analytics, stats, opinions that was the realm of a chosen few sports analysts, staffs, and perhaps some weekly newsletter subscribers.

So, while back in 1985 a fan probably knew the win loss record, whether somebody was ranked, perhaps a betting line, some opinions from talking heads on radio or tv, it was probably a lot easier for Joe Schmoe fan to fool oneself into thinking there was a better shot for a team to go all the way or pull out an upset than there really was. The cool thing about college football is it is still possible for the Cinderella story...

Agree completely. Damn, i would be miserable in a fan sense if i could not enjoy being 5-0. I never wear maroon colored glasses because i prefer to see reality, never make excuses, but 5-0 is rare and i am thrilled. Also enjoy how Fleck brings his players along. Had a wonderful time this weekend. FYI, Gophers have dozens of guys that could play at LSU.

Well said, although it’s probably closer to a dozen than dozens.

Some of the ol’ school Kill boys will continue to complain even though we’re 5-0 for the first time in 15 years. They just can’t get over how things ended with the last regime, and they really hate Fleck no matter how much he wins.

I think that is definitely true. But one thing to consider is we have access to boat loads of information that the average fan didn’t have back in the day. We have instant access to all sorts of analytics, stats, opinions that was the realm of a chosen few sports analysts, staffs, and perhaps some weekly newsletter subscribers.

So, while back in 1985 a fan probably knew the win loss record, whether somebody was ranked, perhaps a betting line, some opinions from talking heads on radio or tv, it was probably a lot easier for Joe Schmoe fan to fool oneself into thinking there was a better shot for a team to go all the way or pull out an upset than there really was. The cool thing about college football is it is still possible for the Cinderella story...

When the Twins won the World Series, everyone was a fan, but I don't think we had sports radio.

People have become obsessive about some of it, but the more obsessive you get, the more shades of opinions are out there.
Years ago if me and a Gopher fan were both fans, but one didn't like a WR, and one did, we state it as much, then move on. There wasn't details to further the argument more.

With coaches these days, everyone thinks they have inside info, and there's rankings for everything. In the end, we're fans of the team. Some like the current coach more than others.

In the end, we want the Gophers to beat Nebraska next week. Then beat MD and Rutgers, then have a great game against Penn St which would be the biggest game in a few years.

In the end, we want the Gophers to beat Nebraska next week. Then beat MD and Rutgers, then have a great game against Penn St which would be the biggest game in a few years.

Nystrom's kick in Unhappy Valley in 1999 against a No. 2 AP Poll ranked PSU was a wonder to behold. Many a Nittany Lion fan believed it was this loss that triggered a long downward trend only recently rectified.

Doing similar some 20 years later is only poetic justice. Nystrom should be an honorary captain for that game.

Glen Mason is God, Jerry Kill is God, TC is God. None of them are our current coach so RTB, Ski-U-Mah!, Go Gophers! I hope PJ Fleck is the man who leads us back to national prominence. Beat Nebraska this week is all we got.

"This site is very supportive of past coaches, like Claeys. Now, watch as I sh1t all over Claeys for a solid paragraph."

Some of the ol’ school Kill boys will continue to complain even though we’re 5-0 for the first time in 15 years. They just can’t get over how things ended with the last regime, and they really hate Fleck no matter how much he wins.

You have if you don’t think the last regime was the greatest ever and that all of our current success is a result of what they built.

Could you please find examples of someone complaining about being 5-0 (hasn’t been 15 years, btw) or crediting a past regime for starting 5-0 this year?

What has happened to you JG? Why you feel the need to keep fighting for PJ’s honor is puzzling. When you have to make things up to do so is an indication that it is time to let it go. This debate is dead. No one wants PJ fired and pretty sure he is getting the credit for our current success. But please, show me these examples that I’m wrong.

"This site is very supportive of past coaches, like Claeys. Now, watch as I sh1t all over Claeys for a solid paragraph."
Your definition of "**** all over" is interesting. I was one of the biggest Claeys supporters but he is not our coach anymore. We are 5-0. I choose to enjoy that and support our current coach.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

There is a large voice on this site that thinks everything should be positive. It drives them nuts when folks are negative. It encourages me to be more negative. I’d be willing to bet I’m a bigger fan than many of them too. I’ll let you decide if you are in that group or not.

This is true. I believe you really are a fan and want the team to succeed. You just do it differently than some. Some if us are going to counter your negativity.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Your definition of "**** all over" is interesting. I was one of the biggest Claeys supporters but he is not our coach anymore. We are 5-0. I choose to enjoy that and support our current coach.

I am also greatly enjoying our 5-0 start and have been a supporter of our current coach since long before he was our current coach. I wasn't aware that I had to badmouth previous coaches in order to support the current one. Thanks for setting me straight.

I am also greatly enjoying our 5-0 start and have been a supporter of our current coach since long before he was our current coach. I wasn't aware that I had to badmouth previous coaches in order to support the current one. Thanks for setting me straight.

Did anyone say you have to?

Top Bottom