Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1

    Default Tony Dungy 'rowing the boat,' fired up about Minnesota's 5-0 start

    per Dustin:

    One of the legends of Minnesota football is issuing his support to his former program after a 5-0 start for the Golden Gophers.

    Former Minnesota quarterback and NFL head coach Tony Dungy issued a congratulatory message for Minnesota on Saturday following the team’s 40-17 win over Illinois. The Golden Gophers are off to their first 5-0 start since the 2004 season.

    “Congratulations to the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers who ran their record to 5-0 today with an impressive win over Illinois,” Dungy wrote. “We are going to have some big games in the second half of the season!”

    Dungy followed that tweet up by also saying he’s “rowing” as hard as he can.








    https://saturdaytradition.com/minnes...tas-5-0-start/

    Go Gophers!!


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Dustin:

    One of the legends of Minnesota football is issuing his support to his former program after a 5-0 start for the Golden Gophers.

    Former Minnesota quarterback and NFL head coach Tony Dungy issued a congratulatory message for Minnesota on Saturday following the team’s 40-17 win over Illinois. The Golden Gophers are off to their first 5-0 start since the 2004 season.

    “Congratulations to the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers who ran their record to 5-0 today with an impressive win over Illinois,” Dungy wrote. “We are going to have some big games in the second half of the season!”

    Dungy followed that tweet up by also saying he’s “rowing” as hard as he can.








    https://saturdaytradition.com/minnes...tas-5-0-start/

    Go Gophers!!
    There are times it's easy to tell that Tony Dungy isn't a born Minnesotan.

    It's easily apparent when he gets all enthusiastic like this.

    Tony, please; the proper, allowable Minnesotan responses to a huge win and a 5-0 record are as follows:

    "Ya. Not too bad."

    "Ya, well.. could be worse, I guess."

    "Let's not get too excited, now."

    "They'll probably lose next week."

    "Let's just slow our roll."

    "I'm not poppin' any champagne corks just yet".

    "Well, at least they finally threw it to the big tight end."
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  3. #3

    Default

    Dungy to MN confirmed.
    "Jiminy christmas!" -Jerry Kill

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    There are times it's easy to tell that Tony Dungy isn't a born Minnesotan.

    It's easily apparent when he gets all enthusiastic like this.

    Tony, please; the proper, allowable Minnesotan responses to a huge win and a 5-0 record are as follows:

    "Ya. Not too bad."

    "Ya, well.. could be worse, I guess."

    "Let's not get too excited, now."

    "They'll probably lose next week."

    "Let's just slow our roll."

    "I'm not poppin' any champagne corks just yet".

    "Well, at least they finally threw it to the big tight end."
    Ha ha not too bad there. In all seriousness I’d guess interest and chili factor is going to be pretty high next weekend. Win that one and casual fans will start to take notice. THEN the next weekend is when the wheels typically come off in spectacular fashion (but not this time my friend....). This team seems to be improving in all areas, could make a nice run down the stretch.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybb View Post
    Dungy to MN confirmed.
    He went to college here and played here - so you know he would want to coach here too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    I was returning to Atlanta on a flight yesterday after visiting family in the Twin Cities. There was a guy sitting behind me that started up a college football conversation with a fellow passenger. He was most definitely a Minnesotan (based on his accent and the way he represented himself). Other guy was from somewhere in the Southeast. I can’t be sure of where, but he was clearly an SEC rube. Minnesota guy starts out by saying he’s taking his kid to an upcoming LSU game and hopes they continue to win so the game atmosphere is electric. As a guy taking his son to his first Gopher game this week against Nebraska I though this was great. But Minnesota guy then goes on to trash the Gopher program going on and on about how we can’t sell-out a 50k seat stadium, our best players couldn’t make the roster of an SEC team, etc., etc. I nearly interjected, but had my 8-year-old daughter sitting next to me so thought better if it.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherBulldog View Post
    I was returning to Atlanta on a flight yesterday after visiting family in the Twin Cities. There was a guy sitting behind me that started up a college football conversation with a fellow passenger. He was most definitely a Minnesotan (based on his accent and the way he represented himself). Other guy was from somewhere in the Southeast. I can’t be sure of where, but he was clearly an SEC rube. Minnesota guy starts out by saying he’s taking his kid to an upcoming LSU game and hopes they continue to win so the game atmosphere is electric. As a guy taking his son to his first Gopher game this week against Nebraska I though this was great. But Minnesota guy then goes on to trash the Gopher program going on and on about how we can’t sell-out a 50k seat stadium, our best players couldn’t make the roster of an SEC team, etc., etc. I nearly interjected, but had my 8-year-old daughter sitting next to me so thought better if it.
    what would you have corrected him about this? he's right.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Go4 View Post
    what would you have corrected him about this? he's right.
    It’s okay to be a fan of your hometown team. And also accentuate the positives about what’s happening over the past 2 years with Gopher football. They will allow you back in the state. I promise.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Go4 View Post
    what would you have corrected him about this? he's right.
    Minnesotans: we're just different. Must be the weather... or the mosquitos.

    No wonder KFAN does so well.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherBulldog View Post
    It’s okay to be a fan of your hometown team. And also accentuate the positives about what’s happening over the past 2 years with Gopher football. They will allow you back in the state. I promise.
    Is it OK to be a fan of your hometown team and also accentuate the negatives about what’s happening?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,238

    Default

    SEC fans IME and in general terms are among the more obnoxious to have a conversation with - can admit Saban’s dominance in recent years but it’s fun to bring up weak schedules, bad Bowl seasons or particularly losses to G5 teams, overrating of recruits, historical oversigning and other recruiting issues to see some sputtering...I mean unless you really wanted to be friends.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Is it OK to be a fan of your hometown team and also accentuate the negatives about what’s happening?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course. But the self flagellation was typical and rather nauseating. I don’t find it necessary to roll over and ask for a belly scratch from SEC fans. I’ve lived among them for nearly 15 years.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherBulldog View Post
    Of course. But the self flagellation was typical and rather nauseating. I don’t find it necessary to roll over and ask for a belly scratch from SEC fans. I’ve lived among them for nearly 15 years.
    You nailed it.

    If you're yearning to hear a negative slant after a big win, just ask most Minnesotans. They'll be happy to give you all you need.

    Also, if you have an unmet need to read about how formidable an upcoming Gopher opponent is, you've come to the right place at Gopher Hole. Until, that is, the Gophers actually beat the team in question; at that point, the opponent suddenly sinks into mediocrity.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Is it OK to be a fan of your hometown team and also accentuate the negatives about what’s happening?

    I don't think anyone minds pointing out negatives. That's part of any intelligent, reasonable, honest discussion about any topic or issue. However, "accentuating" the negatives, as you put it, is something else altogether.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    You nailed it.

    If you're yearning to hear a negative slant after a big win, just ask most Minnesotans. They'll be happy to give you all you need.

    Also, if you have an unmet need to read about how formidable an upcoming Gopher opponent is, you've come to the right place at Gopher Hole. Until, that is, the Gophers actually beat the team in question; at that point, the opponent suddenly sinks into mediocrity.
    Do you think it's the same fans saying both of these things, though?

    I think we have half who talk pre-game. Worried about if we can win.
    Then the other half talks post game. Yeh, we won, but they weren't good.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •