6:30 PM game time?

4 and 7 weeks is a long time to sell tickets. Fact. We know the Twin Cities fan market is very fickle. Fact. We are also about to get into recently unprecedented territory with a couple more wins. Penn State could legitimately be Top 5 by November 9. You can bet there won't be a problem selling tickets for that.

The issue here is that youre going on about our first few games of the season and a Big Ten game against a lower tier team where it rained all morning. The rest of our home schedule is not like that. People have an opportunity to see the Gophers do things they never have before. That sells tickets - even in this market.

Good grief, lighten up.

I am very glad to get a home night game. It puzzled me for years that the Gophers couldn't get a home night game.

The Gophers have had six home night games in the past 2+ years.

rivals either trucking in portable lights

No one in the Big Ten uses portable lights anymore.

I'm not expecting Nebraska fans to take over

Nebraska fans will unfortunately take over the stadium. That's what they do. Did it at Colorado, did it at Illinois already this year.

My responses to your responses.

In 2009 we got Air Force and Michigan State at our brand new stadium.
In 2010 we got Northern Illinois and Ohio State.
In 2011 it was NDSU.
In 2012 it was Syracuse.
In 2013 it was UNLV in the start to the Labor Day weekend Thursday night tradition.
In 2014 it was Eastern Illinois for Labor Day Thursday.
In 2015 it was TCU for Labor Day Thursday and Michigan.
In 2016 it was Oregon State for Labor Day Thursday.
In 2017 it was Buffalo for Labor Day Thursday and Michigan State.
In 2018 It was New Mexico State for Labor Day Thursday, Fresno State, and Indiana.
In 2019 It was or will be South Dakota State for Labor Day Thursday and Nebraska.

We went 2011 through 2016 with only one Big Ten game under the lights at home. That was the root of my discontent. We had a brand new stadium that was arguably better set up for night games than any other in the conference, but had a single conference game at night in six seasons, even when things were turning around under Jerry Kill.

Regarding portable lights and the Gophers being overlooked, Michigan didn't have permanent lights until 2011. Iowa didn't have permanent lights until 2015. Purdue and Michigan State didn't get its permanent lights until 2017. Northwestern still doesn't have permanent lights as far as I can find. All of those schools were getting night games with temporary lights at a time when we had permanent ones that made coming here cheaper and easier for the networks, never mind that night games at those venues before permanent lights were so dim and dull looking. I won't say we deserved to get the ABC prime time special at the expense of Michigan, but what about the random BTN game against Iowa or Illinois in that span?

In another post, I amended my opinion about a Nebraska fan takeover. I had no idea ticket sales were going so well because we aren't exactly known for coming close to filling the house for most games and the last two visits of the Huskers were far from sold out with the 2017 game drawing an announced crowd of under 40,000 and an actual crowd that was less than the 39,000 plus official crowd. I had no idea Huskers fans were back on the bus when last year was rough for them and they got wiped out by Ohio State the other week

My responses to your responses.

In 2009 we got Air Force and Michigan State at our brand new stadium.
In 2010 we got Northern Illinois and Ohio State.
In 2011 it was NDSU.
In 2012 it was Syracuse.
In 2013 it was UNLV in the start to the Labor Day weekend Thursday night tradition.
In 2014 it was Eastern Illinois for Labor Day Thursday.
In 2015 it was TCU for Labor Day Thursday and Michigan.
In 2016 it was Oregon State for Labor Day Thursday.
In 2017 it was Buffalo for Labor Day Thursday and Michigan State.
In 2018 It was New Mexico State for Labor Day Thursday, Fresno State, and Indiana.
In 2019 It was or will be South Dakota State for Labor Day Thursday and Nebraska.

We went 2011 through 2016 with only one Big Ten game under the lights at home. That was the root of my discontent. We had a brand new stadium that was arguably better set up for night games than any other in the conference, but had a single conference game at night in six seasons, even when things were turning around under Jerry Kill.

Regarding portable lights and the Gophers being overlooked, Michigan didn't have permanent lights until 2011. Iowa didn't have permanent lights until 2015. Purdue and Michigan State didn't get its permanent lights until 2017. Northwestern still doesn't have permanent lights as far as I can find. All of those schools were getting night games with temporary lights at a time when we had permanent ones that made coming here cheaper and easier for the networks, never mind that night games at those venues before permanent lights were so dim and dull looking. I won't say we deserved to get the ABC prime time special at the expense of Michigan, but what about the random BTN game against Iowa or Illinois in that span?

In another post, I amended my opinion about a Nebraska fan takeover. I had no idea ticket sales were going so well because we aren't exactly known for coming close to filling the house for most games and the last two visits of the Huskers were far from sold out with the 2017 game drawing an announced crowd of under 40,000 and an actual crowd that was less than the 39,000 plus official crowd. I had no idea Huskers fans were back on the bus when last year was rough for them and they got wiped out by Ohio State the other week

Fair enough, didn't realize you were not talking about the present when discussing no night games and portable lights. But, yes, if we go back 6-9 years, then there weren't a lot of home night games and there were places in the Big Ten without permanent lights.

Top Bottom