Fleck on Daniel Faalele going out with an injury: "Sounds like he's good"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wouldn't have been terrible, considering the game was in hand when Faalele got dinged up, to see someone other than Schmitz and shuffling the others come in on the offensive line later in the game. Being only 6 deep is pretty scary.

Good to hear it shouldn't be anything serious for big Dan!

Wouldn't have been terrible, considering the game was in hand when Faalele got dinged up, to see someone other than Schmitz and shuffling the others come in on the offensive line later in the game. Being only 6 deep is pretty scary.

Good to hear it shouldn't be anything serious for big Dan!

I don't think its 6 deep. I think its 7 with Dickson, unless he isn't what we thought and were told he is.

I don't think its 6 deep. I think its 7 with Dickson, unless he isn't what we thought and were told he is.

I was tuning in and out after we started pulling away, but ...

Dickson hasn't seen the field yet, has he? He's not part of the equation until they start playing him. If he didn't see the field today, when will he?

Until he starts getting regular reps, we're six deep.

JTG

Good to hear. We need everyone next week.

I was tuning in and out after we started pulling away, but ...

Dickson hasn't seen the field yet, has he? He's not part of the equation until they start playing him. If he didn't see the field today, when will he?

Until he starts getting regular reps, we're six deep.

JTG

So every team that has stuck to only their starting 5 and hasn't had to play anyone else is only 5 deep then?

We haven't needed Dickson yet and haven't been in much of a position to play him yet but that doesn't mean we can't.

Based on everything we have heard and read in the offseason and fall camp, it does sound like we are comfortable with our top 7 including Dickson but after him, that is where there is a big drop off in play. But there isn't considered a big drop off from Schlueter to Dickson.

Most teams probably aren't playing 7 lineman anyways unless they have had a ton of huge blowouts or multiple injuries on the O-line but that doesn't mean they aren't 7 deep.

Honestly, what diehard said.

They don’t need Dickson. They are playing guys they want to get consistent reps. Doesn’t mean they can’t be comfortable with others.

So every team that has stuck to only their starting 5 and hasn't had to play anyone else is only 5 deep then?

We haven't needed Dickson yet and haven't been in much of a position to play him yet but that doesn't mean we can't.

Based on everything we have heard and read in the offseason and fall camp, it does sound like we are comfortable with our top 7 including Dickson but after him, that is where there is a big drop off in play. But there isn't considered a big drop off from Schlueter to Dickson.

Most teams probably aren't playing 7 lineman anyways unless they have had a ton of huge blowouts or multiple injuries on the O-line but that doesn't mean they aren't 7 deep.

Dickson not on the Participation List of the Illinois game.

Dickson, Umlor, and Sassack are the only other guys listed on the depth chart.

From the 2018 class, the IMG pairing are starting leaving Boe and Beier both as redshirt freshman.

I thought they were really high on JJ Guedet from camp, but my assumption there is he's being targeted for a 4 game redshirt if at all possible. One of those being a bowl game if we win one more game.

Megan chimes in:

Faalele injured

Gophers right tackle Daniel Faalele left the game in the second half and headed to the locker room with an apparent injury. Fleck said he was “dinged up” and so decided to pull him, but all indications are he’ll be OK.

In the 6-9, 400-pound sophomore’s absence, sophomore Blaise Andries slid to right tackle. Curtis Dunlap Jr. stayed at right guard, John Michael Schmitz at center, Conner Olson at left guard and Sam Schlueter at left tackle.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-running-back-mohamed-ibrahim-sits-out-again/562297082/

Go Gophers!!

Not to nitpick but in all fairness, most of that info was from August and previous. That was a while ago. Since then Schlueter has had the benefit of starting 5 more games, and was ahead of Dickson to begin with. And by all accounts Schlueter is playing a fair amount better than last year.

Let's hope it never matters this year! I'll gladly take 12-13 games of injury-free football from the starting 5 OL this year.

John Michael Schmitz has looked really good when in there, it seems like no drop off and one could argue he's an upgrade. I imagine part of the reason he's not out all the time is to keep the positions the same since guys have to move around when he comes in? Regardless I like his game. Not sure how deep we are since we really haven't seen anyone else play much. I agree on Guedet. I think Schuleter has looked so much better this year is due to his health. I was told by a very connected booster last year that he was dealing with a back injury that bothered him quite a bit (I posted that before but no one else had heard anything so I really don't know if it's true).

John Michael Schmitz has looked really good when in there, it seems like no drop off and one could argue he's an upgrade. I imagine part of the reason he's not out all the time is to keep the positions the same since guys have to move around when he comes in? Regardless I like his game. Not sure how deep we are since we really haven't seen anyone else play much.
Agreed, on the plays that I focused on the OL, I was very impressed by JMS, I suspect his playing time continues to increase.

With the injury to Faalele, will playing five and occasionally rotating to other linemen to give breathers help more than hurt the O-Line? I'm thinking it will be great to insert a couple spare of OL occasionally. What do you think?

Top Bottom